Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Yosharian

Arcane
Carrie Patel comparing the Teir Evron scenes to the Myrkul conversation in MotB reveals a terrible lack of self-awareness - the Dunning-Kruger in action.
I think it's fantastic that the writers are opening up like this. It's really fascinating to read a tweet like that. Like, ohhh! That's why that scene read like it was written by a Tumblr fanfic writer!

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What's the time limit for the Eothas challenge? That's likely the hardest part to overcome.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Durance and Grieving Mother are actually interesting characters compared to the zero in Dumpsterfire. There are no real dungeons in Dumpsterfire until the DLC.

White March is the best POE content.

And you said it yourself.. POE is mostly bad, but it still has more soul than the mediocre by-the-numbers Dumpsterfire. Dumpsterfire is the literal definition of a soulless cash grab. At least with POE1 they tried

edit: and I never said that POE1 was "better" just that it's not a soulless husk like POE2

For that, I wrote this some time ago:

You know I was thinking, despite being in love with age of exploration, sail ships in gunpowder era, history of colonialism and all else this game is supposed to be about, why I couldn't get into dumpsterfire at all, while I played PoE1 twice.

It's because both games feel lifeless and sterile due to a lack of ability to invoke emotion and the whole thing feeling like a drudge go through especially in text, however in PoE1 this accidentally adds to the atmosphere of the game because the game becomes a lot more melancholic and depressive which actually supports whatever narrative there is. It feels sufficiently entertaining because it gives off an aura of wading through despair.

In dumpsterfire, the game is not supposed to feel like this. It's supposed to be high in energy and conflict, yet it still feels lifeless and sterile. If it wasn't the fact the exploration actually feels like a legitimate exploration then it would be downright unplayable.

Right now however, after all the DLCs and the like. I think dumpsterfire is overall a better game than PoE1, white march is mostly disconnected from rest of the game and doesn't salvage rest of it which is very long.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Durance and Grieving Mother are actually interesting characters compared to the zero in Dumpsterfire. There are no real dungeons in Dumpsterfire until the DLC.

White March is the best POE content.

And you said it yourself.. POE is mostly bad, but it still has more soul than the mediocre by-the-numbers Dumpsterfire. Dumpsterfire is the literal definition of a soulless cash grab. At least with POE1 they tried

edit: and I never said that POE1 was "better" just that it's not a soulless husk like POE2

For that, I wrote this some time ago:

You know I was thinking, despite being in love with age of exploration, sail ships in gunpowder era, history of colonialism and all else this game is supposed to be about, why I couldn't get into dumpsterfire at all, while I played PoE1 twice.

It's because both games feel lifeless and sterile due to a lack of ability to invoke emotion and the whole thing feeling like a drudge go through especially in text, however in PoE1 this accidentally adds to the atmosphere of the game because the game becomes a lot more melancholic and depressive which actually supports whatever narrative there is. It feels sufficiently entertaining because it gives off an aura of wading through despair.

In dumpsterfire, the game is not supposed to feel like this. It's supposed to be high in energy and conflict, yet it still feels lifeless and sterile. If it wasn't the fact the exploration actually feels like a legitimate exploration then it would be downright unplayable.

Right now however, after all the DLCs and the like. I think dumpsterfire is overall a better game than PoE1, white march is mostly disconnected from rest of the game and doesn't salvage rest of it which is very long.
I changed my rating of that post from Meh to Agree. And here is my post:

I'm having orders of magnitude more fun with Deadfire than with PoE. I like the colonial setting, and I even wish there was more emphasis on discovering unknown cultures and on the conflict between colonizers and colonized, but that would have been a different game, without this whole Eothas distraction :)

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do these additional/new dialog lines for Woedica and Eothas work "retroactively", meaning if I load my current savegame, will the new stuff still be in? Or would I have to start a new gaem?

FreeKaner

If in PoE1 save you supported Woedica, when you first talk with her she gives really mixed signals. Between berating mortals and showing acknowledgement towards you. This was somewhat hasty writing on Paul Kirsch's part it seems. Also I am surprised how much Woedica explains, it really feels like they tried to fill in all the gaps.

Still, better than nothing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
She should've given you a buff or helped you out in some ways in your quest, like revealing hidden items, killing off some monsters, subtly manipulating the opinions of the faction leaders, etc. Maybe even giving you a quest or a hidden solution to the Eothas problem. You are her new mortal champion after all.

Tenebris

Scholar
The Woedica content is interesting but it feels so shoe horned. It really should've been in the base game. Maybe having her save you over Berath.

FreeKaner

Well it is in the base game now. It is not a DLC or anything. Perhaps if it was there from the start it wouldn't feel shoehorned. I guess it is yet another reminder to not play an Obsidian game until Sawyer calls something and I quote "the final solution" as a patch.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well it is in the base game now. It is not a DLC or anything. Perhaps if it was there from the start it wouldn't feel shoehorned. I guess it is yet another reminder to not play an Obsidian game until Sawyer calls something and I quote "the final solution" as a patch.

I'm happy I waited. Then again I got so bored of PoE I'm still standing above that hole at the end waiting to dive in, so... it was easy to wait.

2house2fly

Magister
Do these additional/new dialog lines for Woedica and Eothas work "retroactively", meaning if I load my current savegame, will the new stuff still be in? Or would I have to start a new gaem?
It's retroactive. You get a book added to your inventory the first time you're on your boat after loading a save, which allows you to talk to Woedica. You can open it any time but only hear the VO at sea, lol. First time you open it if you're near the end of the game she'll run through a huge list of stuff you've done that she's written to react to; getting her early in a new playthrough should make her flow a lot better- do a main or faction quest, get back on your boat, chat with Woedica.

The Eothas scene at the end proceeds as normal, then he suddenly says "so hey, let's talk about you" and you can ask him a few questions. Not much of it feels necessary, and frankly I'd have preferred to find some old books in lootable containers around Ukaizo with text like "I think we broke the natural system with this, if the wheel ever gets broken we'll just have to fucking... build a new one"

So first mods updated for new version. And it's Aloth and Rekke romance mods.
And 6 people party.
There's nothing that looks like it'd break existing mods, really, and what was added is pretty much mainly dialogue. I'm looking into making the Woedica book into a trinket though.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
So now that the turn-based mode is out of Beta, is the general opinion that it actually sort of works? From a distance, it actually seems pretty good, but I do wonder if they've successfully managed to retrofit the mechanics of Pillars into a turn-based game.

I'm the kind of guy who vastly prefers TB combat, but can deal with RTwP if done well (for example, I like all Infinity engine games and 7.62 High Calibre). However, I simply did not enjoy the RTwP combat in PoE1, which I only finished a couple of months ago with the latest patches and White March 1/2.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
It's fine, but Sawyer's TTRPG is where it's at.

Among other changes, he removed classes and gave players the ability to create their own powers.

The Real Fanboy
It's fine, but Sawyer's TTRPG is where it's at.

Among other changes, he removed classes and gave players the ability to create their own powers.

Soo Safav now that Josh said this is the last patch, are you going to finally show us the screenshots of what you thought was the 4th DLC?

Yosharian

Arcane
So now that the turn-based mode is out of Beta, is the general opinion that it actually sort of works? From a distance, it actually seems pretty good, but I do wonder if they've successfully managed to retrofit the mechanics of Pillars into a turn-based game.

I'm the kind of guy who vastly prefers TB combat, but can deal with RTwP if done well (for example, I like all Infinity engine games and 7.62 High Calibre). However, I simply did not enjoy the RTwP combat in PoE1, which I only finished a couple of months ago with the latest patches and White March 1/2.
Dunno, did they change the way initiative/dexterity works?

If not, then... it kinda works.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As much as I prefer turn-based for games like this it will have to feel like a fully complete game that way for me to play it.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Does anyone believe The Ultimate Challenge is even possible?

Classes with regenerating/non-rest-dependent resources (Monk, Chanter, Blood Mage, Tactician etc.) are suitable for the run, but the sheer time limit imposed by Eothas challenge combined with the RNG factors in Ondra and Galawain challenges make it a crapshoot either way. But I don't think it's impossible.

Jinn

Arcane
As much as I prefer turn-based for games like this it will have to feel like a fully complete game that way for me to play it.

Do you own the game already? If so, I'd recommend giving it a shot. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's still a lot of fun. Really opens up once you get a full party. Playing with turn-based has caused me to level my characters completely differently than I would have in RtwP, which is a good sign to me that it's different enough to not only showcase some of the strengths of the system that went unnoticed because of the cluster-fuck combat, and that it is its "own thing" enough to cater to a completely different approach with builds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom