Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Let's eat bugs and die horribly in Conan Exiles (Naked Pict Woman Alert)

lightbane

Arcane
The game seems quite boring with little to do but combat and crafting. I mean, I get it that it's a harsh land, but even Dark Sun had friendly camps there and here.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
PART 9: THE HILLS HAVE EYES

zpNGEGK.jpg

Time to head up the mountains and search for iron. I'm sure there's some around here somewhere.... I'm also sure that it will be a peaceful travel.

KVGjPAy.jpg

Or not... There's a rival Exile camp literally on the cliff right above our house. You know... This game has the messiest and confusing death and ragdoll animations I have ever seen. Whenever I deal a killing blow, its an orgy to the senses.

lkvFCnx.jpg

They actually have a loot chest here.... And it actually has good stuff- 2 gas bombs. Never seen these before, so not sure how effective they are. Will save them for later.

4o6ySyc.jpg

Found a note on one of the bodies. Just more bitching about the harsh conditions of this land. Apparently they where being hunted by Darfari tribals before taking shelter here. Lovely- more shit to get raped by.

kYi9lMI.jpg

There's one last guy here... He's looking right down on our hut. He's too busy rubbing his nipples to notice us. We kill him and loot 3 sticks and a pebble.

81det9k.jpg

There's surprisingly a lack of minable rocks around here. No rocks, no iron. We do see a nice patch further up though... Maybe there's iron over there?

6gTgBfN.jpg

…. Or not. The place is infested with Hyenas. I almost rage quit he LP here. Let me bitch about the agro system again- It is relentless. If the enemies move equal or faster than you (and most non-humans do) the only way you can get away from them is jump in water, or find a cliff you can climb without running out of stamina... Which is actually tough because chances are you've draining it trying to sprint away. You have to sprint too. Most animals are so fast they can still hit you while your in a full run. If they can do a leap or charge attack your fucked.

I'm cutting out a bunch of shit- but basically I run around, nearly dying and not finding any iron.

HDcl8VM.jpg

We are back at our hut now. I needed a place where I can peacefully eat my bugs and regen health. We also try to get back down to the river to refill our waterskin, but more hyenas have respawn right below us. I try to kill them as I'd prefer to have a clear shot to the river, but one of them ends up being some sort of elite or boss type. He's a big black alpha with glowing eyes. Also got a skull over his health bar. I manage to do decent damage to him with my spear, but he hits me for 1/4 of my health with just his basic attack. I chicken out and retreat back up the house. I don't like having these guys so close to my house... Maybe I should craft a bow...

2CI987n.jpg

… Or maybe we should try out one of those gas bombs we looted earlier. Let's see what these babies do.

bBFXEdX.jpg

Gas euthanization in effect. The alpha's mate goes down in a matter of seconds- He looks up at us in a rage before collapsing in a heap. I remember taking my dog in to be put down. I cried in front of everyone. I was 34.

4xFsoxq.jpg

The alpha actually had loot on his body- A Potion of Natural Learning. Maybe if he drank this- instead of stashing it in his pocket- he would have had enough knowledge to walk out of the gas cloud. Maybe if I drank it, I would have enough smarts to stop playing this retarded game.

QAyO2Id.jpg

"Where the shits is all the iron at?"
-Chitza, The Pict Exile. Died when a gas bomb exploded in her ass.

kT1zQAs.jpg

I'm getting beat up so bad out here I have to waste time hunting to get my food stocks back up. WILL ANY GODAMN PROGRESS EVER BE MADE?!

jBqXjIF.jpg

Oh boy! IRON!
Oops... Its actually coal. Didn't actually have enough time to harvest any. If you look real close, you can see a hyena in the shrubs to the right.

TIjlThS.jpg

We find a cave guarded by Exiles. 2 archers start shooting me in the face, while a guy with a big hammer storms in my direction. I get shot in the ass and nearly die as I run away. Riveting.

dFHFdRw.jpg

I thought I found Iron... but it was just some SPIDER EGG SACKS.

FLjt5Eh.jpg

I can't take this shit anymore. I head back home to weep, only to find wildlife has taken over my house. I spend days clearing out the area.

tW8jRbD.jpg

I craft a bed so I have something to sob into at night... and to give me a second spawn point. You can have 2- one for the bedroll, and one for an actual bed. I'll need this second point, as tomorrow I plan on going to the very top of the mountain, and I'll be taking a sleeping bag with me.

Preview for the next update- I find iron then die immediately.

lightbane

Arcane
Yep, this is totally designed to be played with people.

I remember taking my dog in to be put down. I cried in front of everyone. I was 34.

*Takes notes*

he alpha actually had loot on his body- A Potion of Natural Learning

What a terrible and poorly explained loot: IT does not help you learn anything, but rather delete your current skills so you can learn something else, according to the description.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
he alpha actually had loot on his body- A Potion of Natural Learning

What a terrible and poorly explained loot: IT does not help you learn anything, but rather delete your current skills so you can learn something else, according to the description.

Beyond the Black River was a cool book though

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
PART 10: SANDBLASTED COOTCHIE

c6N4r5l.jpg

This is it- we are going up the mountain till I find Iron. Theres nothing around these parts except death and humiliation.

pXdv9pW.jpg

Up the narrow paths, we come across chaos in an encampment. It's a 3 way battle between Hyenas, Yog cultist... And a lone spider. This is the first time we have encountered an arachnid... And I'm glad its occupied with other targets. The spider KILLS everyone- 2 Hyenas and 4 Yoggies. After it clears out the base, it attacks the lone sentry on the right- chilling at the cliff (good job guarding your camp, buddy). They duke it out, and the spider finally falls. I get off my perch, and easily kill the wounded victor.

fw0rJkL.jpg

Gallaman's Overlook in now clear thanks to my skill and bravery. Theres a loot chest here that actually has some iron ingots in it, and even another gas bomb. We are off to a good start.

7Ywncn0.jpg

What a disgusting fuck. I hope we don't run into any more of these. Just one wiped out an entire camp- I can only image what it could do to my beautiful mocha skinned body.

sRaHrs3.jpg

More good fortune! Higher up, we find a few Iron nodes. You cant really see it in this shot, but theres a scary demon-like creature just on the other side of the rocks. We sneak in and get our bounty, undetected.... Then run like a bitch.

oAKq4OO.jpg

We are pretty much on top of the mountain now.... And.... Its a sand dune.... You know, I'm not a geologist, but this is complete bullshit. My heart sinks as I don't see a single rock in site. There's an interesting ruin on the very peak, but I aint going... I'm not a coward... Just careful.

7ERRbi5.jpg

We hug the few cliff faces, and find a few caches of basic stone- but no iron.

jyuBFwn.jpg

A massive camp is also nestled up here, full of Yog cronies.We keep our distance.

KOMKLda.jpg

Well, shit- We've almost gone full circle. If we look off the mountain to the west, we can actually see the Shattered Bridge. Just under the bridge's base is the very first hut we built. I bet the crocs have infested it by now... soiling the establishment with their foul droppings.

ps9egHF.jpg

FINALLY! Closer to the ruins, we find 3 Iron nodes. Let's get crackin!

eJ3T8DS.jpg

SWEET BABY CROM! As we approach, tears of joy fill our eyes, as we discover that this isn't just a few nodes- but a whole god damn quarry. We got more iron below us, and a massive load to the upper left. Theres enough Iron here to craft the blacksmith bench AND and bunch of weapons & Tools!

0SrCetO.jpg

GOD DAMNIT WHY?! As we try to go down the slope, a creature explodes from the ground. It's the same dude I saw earlier. Who are these guys? It's like they're guarding the iron deposits. Also- I don't know the difference between 'their' and 'they're' so I've probably used them wrong a few times. The public school I went to wasn't very good. I was the only white kid.

y2tOF5O.jpg

I may have to fight that thing. Fortunately, it cant chase me back up the slope, so I set up my bedroll for a nice spawn point. Maybe we can sneak around and get to the node patch further down...

jfCrngd.jpg

Well... we manage go get over there undetected, but as we approach the nodes, 2 MORE of the fuckers explode from the ground. We have no choice to fight...

IFEkid4.jpg

And by fight, I mean cheese them. I stand on the edge of the slope, and stab them with my spear. Our stone weapons do very little damage to these creatures (Who may be made of stone themselves). This isn't fool proof. I nearly die a couple of times as I would sometimes slide off the slope during a lunge attack and get pounded. It takes a couple of (lengthy) tries- but we do it.

YSLKkve.jpg

They all lay in a heap. Not even going to bother harvesting the bodies. I need all the inventory space I can spare... Also, It took me so long to accomplish this heroic deed, I'm terrified of them respawning. Its going to take awhile to harvest all the goods, so I need to hurry.

RbENGHG.jpg

We work into the afternoon. PLEASE DON'T RESPAWN PLEASE DON'T RESPAWN PLEASE DON'T RESPAWN.

L01Ec74.jpg

ALMOST DONE! Only a couple nodes left! But what's this? What's going on?! The wind starts roaring all around us, sand swirling everywhere- darkening the mid-day sky!

BAHYiSS.jpg

OH GOD! WHAT IS THIS SHHHHHIII-

jAqZ2ZF.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
By Crom, it's like the devs wanted to outdo Athas in their grimderp. Worse, unlike in Dark Sun you don't have magic or psy powers to counteract the bullshit.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
Is this game hard but fun or hard and tedious?

Sort of hard question to answer.

You can think of Conan Exiles as a server kit of sorts. When you create a new game, your creating your own server (even if its single player/offline). Your presented with a billion options and setting which alter pretty much every game play mechanic. Enemy damage, your damage, crafting multipliers, crafting time, mob respawn times, Hunger & thirst, day and night duration, jesus mode, etc. Everything can be modified or turned off completely. Your are the Admin- and you got the tools. The game comes with 3 pre-set configs if you don't want to mess with all the options. One of them is set up for solo play- which I'm NOT using. I'm just running everything on 'standard' (except night time duration lowered to 15 seconds... It's too damn dark).

So it depends on the game/server settings?

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
PART 11: PREPPING FOR THE LAMEST ADVENTURE

YB7HCPo.jpg

Last time we left off, we got sand in our vagina and died from an infection. Fortunately, we had set up a bedroll/spawn point close by. Unfortunately, when we respawn, the sandstorm is still in full force. With no shelter built, I try in vain to hug the cliff faces and boulders in the area, as sometimes they offer partial protection. I cant find any decent cover, and watch as my health bar dwindles. The first time I played this I knew nothing about sandstorms or the shelter system and got chained killed until I raged quit. Will this be a repeat?

aNsyojV.jpg

No. It ends up being a short storm, and the skies start to clear just in time, as we only had a sliver of health left.

mSnJygK.jpg

We get our stuff back, mine the last nodes and GTFO of there. Although nothing really happens, the long trek back down to our base ends up being the most terrifying experience I've had in this game so far. With a massive pay load over encumbering me to a snails pace, any encounter with an enemy would have resulted in death.

rY473be.jpg

Back at home, we start the LONG process of smelting ingots. I could make another furnace to speed up the process, but that requires work. Yes... Playing this game is like work at times.

C9D6rpF.jpg

HOO-RAY! Blacksmith workbench is finally built! We also got enough iron left to make a multitude of tools and weapons.

1eTBw9P.jpg

YEAH! Battleax ready and willing. I wonder how it will do against our upstairs neighbors?

ug2oPof.jpg

Yeah... It fucks him up royally. This is now my favorite weapon. Every time a strike swipes the ground, it kicks up the dirt, mixing with the blood and gore. Very satisfying to use, as it has a good feeling of force behind it.

XgMhWwa.jpg

I try to test out my other weapon- a iron mace. It does less damage, but has higher armor bypass. This spearman wont have any of my shenanigans however, and proceeds to combo my ass into oblivion.

IEunVtn.jpg

COMBO BREAKER

9zfqN9N.jpg

Eh... it works. Gonna be sticking with the ax for the time being.

uSpfHLO.jpg

We finish up by crafting iron tools. We only got a few iron ingots left, which we will save for any repairs that our new equipment will eventually need.

We are ready to pack up and leave this hell hole for good. I'm taking my crafting stations with me, which weigh a million pounds- we will have to leave almost all our stashed loot here to rot. The only thing I'm taking from the storage chest is the 3 gas bombs- They make me feel safe.

rk7gYeO.jpg

It's time to continue our quest to the east- to the green lands. I have no plans to stop and build another base until we get there. (except maybe a safe haven for a spawn point). Bilbo Baggins adventure mode is now engaged.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's a free weekend.
68 GB download.
Doubt it'll hold interest for long.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
PART 12: TO "GREENER" PASTURES

PEjkyFE.jpg

The journey to the eastern territories has begun. What terrors await us?

cfOYakH.jpg

The way looks pretty open and clear cut for the time being. We will stick as close to the river as we can, but eventually We'll have to pull away. I've made/filled a few extra waterskins to prepare.

huaJIfl.jpg

Not too much happenings along the river. It widens out quite a bit, with islands scattered about. Most of them are occupied by hostile cannibals, so we keep our distance.

g2p93P8.jpg

Towards rivers end we start encountering some roaming tribes looking for a taste of delicious Pict booty.

cSXnDRI.jpg

The iron ax is still a great weapon. Very fun to use, and satisfying move set. I'm cutting dudes up left and right.

lyKuO6i.jpg

How do we get up there? I think about setting up a temp camp to investigate the surroundings....

zOPcCK1.jpg

…. Then decide not to because I SAW A SPIDER.

reOUofA.jpg

This journey has highly been condensed, but we are getting fairly close to our destination. I'm running into some very high and steep cliffs and ravines than make travel a fairly zig zag affair. I do come across this ruin nestles among the crags. Lets check it out.

5MDvztG.jpg

Exiles! There's one in that mess somewhere.

b4b2jSn.jpg

Mitra's Serenity? Are these exiles followers of Mitra? What boy scouts. As a patron of Yog, I will soil this place.

7HCqrPK.jpg

In case your wondering, the weapon glows purple during special/power attacks. A good sword and sorcery setting should always contain a lot of purple and orange. (I'm serious).

1Q0AAfg.jpg

The final guy gets his throat slit. Does this shrine hold any purpose?

S8S9HWc.jpg

My, how goody goody.

YUzcgso.jpg

Nothing here but a note. Apparently from an Mitra missionary- confessing his past crimes, his cause of exile, and his redemption. Mitra has spoken to him, and now he roams the wasteland, spreading the word of his god. Not sure whats worse- cannibal cultists or jehovah witnesses. Enough of this- Time to move one.

jkOnPG4.jpg

GNNAW! How the fuck do I get over the canyons? Even with a overworld map I get lost. I'm now in the high dunes getting chased by every desert insect known to man.

aksY4nB.jpg

WHAT THE HELL?! I'm almost back to where I started. This is horse shit!

R7tUPLt.jpg

Okay... Fast forward 2 REAL DAYS later and I think I found a way to the east. I raged and deleted a lot of screenshots, which I regret doing. This area is pretty fun, with winding & forking canyons, small rivers, and tons of encampments you can see along the ridge lines.

jGhKqm3.jpg

There's also a lot of crocs and these creatures. Crocs are easy to take down the ax, but these stone monsters are tough. Yes, they are actually made of stone. I actually harvested one and got rocks as a reward.

But do you know what's more exciting than looting rocks and pebbles from enemies? We actually make it to the green lands!. Yeah. We run right through the canyons and make it to our destination! Let us see that beautiful hinterlands! Lets get our home base up, and let the real games begin!

eleg15u.jpg

Wow.... THIS PLACE LOOKS LIKE ASS

lightbane

Arcane
The game looks like wasted potential. Also, they could have had spiders lurk in caves and dark places, not in the middle of the fucking desert during the day. I bet they don't even use web traps.

A good sword and sorcery setting should always contain a lot of purple and orange. (I'm serious).

You'll have to explain this one. This color combination is a plague upon modern movies.

The final guy gets his throat slit

Quite a feat to do with a bulky axe.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
You'll have to explain this one. This color combination is a plague upon modern movies.

I think everyone is going to have a different take on what sword & sorcery visuals should look like. Mine are based of the glorious 80s shlock, where warm and cold colors clash on a fairly dark/black backdrop.
uDFD5Ny.jpg

d3ToD5V.jpg

oNRvpPS.jpg

kgsS6Tv.jpg

vBM0AgS.jpg

7JKJjOQ.jpg

VyobD4Z.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
None of these ring a bell. I'll consider checking a few of these.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom