Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Dead Monarchy: Open-World | Turn-Based | Mercenary Management | RPG - Fully Released May 19th 2023

SmartCheetah

Arcane
5wRhpkz.jpg

If you're looking for more "Medieval" Roman segmentata armour, this image speaks for itself. Also, combine it with facemasks like these:
23k3hRs.png

iQwX2lw.jpg

And you've got a badass looking armor.

Aegidius

Educated
Thanks SmartCheetah working on Roman sets after I finish the Greek ones and rest assured, got some ideas similar to that. Will show one off when it's done :)

I'm new to these forums and saw this thread am an interested in your game so far. I look forward to following your progress.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Thanks SmartCheetah working on Roman sets after I finish the Greek ones and rest assured, got some ideas similar to that. Will show one off when it's done :)

I'm new to these forums and saw this thread am an interested in your game so far. I look forward to following your progress.

Welcome Aegidius and thanks for taking the time to reply. Glad you are interested, will be more content to show soon enough :)

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys, sorry for the silence. As usual, I'm just busily working away. Got a new set of Roman inspired armor, I'd like to show off. I'm planning on an update closer towards the end of the year which should detail my plans for early access and the general state of the game :)

Screenshot_1.jpg

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys,

I've got an update out on indie DB detailing the current development situation of Dead Monarchy. It covers all the major features I've implemented so far and what you can expect in the early access version. Hoping to release into early access somewhere towards the end of the 1st quarter this year. After releasing the EA version, I'll also release an updated demo. The update is mostly text but there is a new armor set though :)

https://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-monarchy/news/dead-monarchy-early-access-build-1-update

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Hey guys, just something else I'd like to share:

Another set has come through, I've decided to make this a set for one of the noble houses. I don't think I'll be able to put "human" enemies into the game during the initial early access launch build, but the human factions will slowly be introduced especially when I start on the world map which makes more sense then. The thing with human factions is it requires a lot more work on the AI side as I have several more weapon abilities that I need to get working. All in good time though, monster AI is a little easier as each monster only has one ability which generally then plays into each faction's strategy.

I don't think I'd make this outfit available to the player, as I want each faction to retain a sense of uniqueness. However, elements of the set will be made available though, like a stripped down great helmet without the ornaments. The base chainmail hauberk is also present in the standard armor available to the player, but I've decided to make the surcoat/tabbard exclusive to the noble houses. All the belts and pouches are present on some player armor sets too.

It's taken a lot of time and money to set up, but I am now really appreciating the modular nature of the armor and rigging system that I'm using. The other thing I'll mention is that I won't be using physics on armor, however I think the longer cloth elements deform quite nicely even without it.

Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg

vazha

Arcane
Nice, but I think you should bulk the upper torso a bit. These are too slender, too elfy, if you will.

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Nice, but I think you should bulk the upper torso a bit. These are too slender, too elfy, if you will.

Interesting point, I'll look into it. Perhaps just some small pauldrons as I wanted to keep the amount of "plate" to a minimum for this set :)

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Still alive and kicking, just busy working away. Just wanted to show off some work I've done to the marketplace interfaces. Gone is the clunky system of having separate menus for buying and selling, now it is just all drag n drop. Also implemented the armor sets and I've done their icons. Each armor set will have 6 variations in colors, this goes for both the helmet and the armor. The variation is just color though and sometimes the variation is on the trousers (bottom half) as opposed to the cloth underlayers.

Marketplace Update.jpg

Also showing off some helmet icons without spoiling and giving away too much, but at least you can see how much depth and variety there is with character customization. Armors however will also play a practical role. I've divided up armors into light, medium and heavy armor categories and each category has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Helmets 1.jpg

Helmets 2.jpg

For those that are wondering, I do have variations of each helmet without the colored wreath. There will be more to come :)

Last edited:

Bantichai

Arcane
Developer
Just a small update, I mentioned a while back that I wanted to release into early access April 30th. As usual things are met with delays, however there is some good news. Steam has now approved the store page and also approved the build I submitted. In the coming weeks, I'll be making a formal announcement :)

Ninjerk

Arcane
What's with the color palette? Everything looks like mud.

Do you mean the lighting in the town or even in the combat maps? If it's the town it's because I'm still optimizing lighting.
I don't mean a technical detail--I am talking about an artistic decision. I only noticed it because of that picture with the guy on horseback in your post from yesterday. It has a touch of what looks like yellow ochre (I know it's digital), but otherwise the palette just looks like overmixed paint. In the exhibition videos you posted there is some color on the combatants, but the colors in the environments are very muted. I think this is not something you should ignore (even if it isn't a terribly high priority atm). If this is intentional, I hope you (or your art lead) rethink it.

Vatnik Wumao
The art is probably going for a gritty look but it does not quite work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom