Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
What's Cyberpunk RED?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
The snarky comments are fair, majority of that ~50minute gameplay reveal was standard FPS gameplay with glimpses at a color coded loot rarity system.
The narrator insisted that this was an RPG where quests have different paths and outcomes but whoever was playing seemed more interested in showing off the autoaim gun and underwhelming boss fight.

Latelistener

Arcane
They haven't even released REDKit for Witcher 3 (although they said they would).

Any online component planned for the future, or is Wild Hunt a single-player experience only?

It's a single-player experience all the way, but we are looking to release the REDkit sometime after the game launches for the modding community. This way, people can create their own adventures, and this will inevitably add a lot of fun and replayability to the game.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind?page=2

a cut of domestic sheep prime

so wait till overhaul mod like withcer 3 EE come out
That reminds me how CDPR used to finish their games with enhanced editions like a year after release, but with TW3 they went "fuck it, our gaem is perfect, buy some DLC goy"
"mods/enhanced editions will fix it" is a poor way to buy games.

either a dev is going to make a good game or they aren't. depending on chance to make a bad game playable and still paying for it is just asking for more bad games.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some leaked screenshots:

PrHxS9c.jpg

pVAlkEb.jpg

lsIgl0X.jpg

HgqCBlC.jpg

BBET72U.jpg

2N8Xnk5.jpg

0COZsfq.jpg

QthHAM6.jpg

PkEwu4k.jpg

Qv1WDde.jpg

sc9b2qw.jpg

dAq8IR4.jpg

Ix3FZJJ.jpg

JPRfHy9.jpg

1kqcHgJ.jpg

GiD8SmD.jpg

ADc8tdu.jpg

wG9bARa.jpg

YHPCDOy.jpg

jfWsPsq.jpg

hGNYPzG.jpg

kmfNMee.jpg

ayfXMlJ.jpg

IsISLfe.jpg

2YWiJOc.jpg

yo1dqbe.jpg

VQ3Z6Q8.jpg

nH1eo8j.jpg

1QMr8m4.jpg

I think I have to reconsider my words. This game may indeed capture the feel of the setting.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

CDPR's EEs were basically huge patches based on players' feedback with a bit of free content. It made TW1 from good to better and TW2 from good, but unpolished to just good. I can't really imagine how do you spin this into a bad thing.
I wasn't spinning it as a bad thing.

I was saying that expecting there to be a free mod or enhanced edition that will make you like the game is just asking to be disappointed.

It's great that there's a TW1&2 EE, it's great that there are mods for Skyrim that make it almost bearable, but you can't depend on them to happen.

Dodo1610

Arcane
As Cyberpunk 2077 Development Intensifies, CD Projekt Red Pledges To Be 'More Humane' To Its Workers

https://kotaku.com/as-cyberpunk-2077-development-intensifies-cd-projekt-r-1834849725

“We’re known—let me be humble for a moment here—we are known for treating gamers with respect,” said Marcin Iwiński, the company’s co-founder, in an interview with Kotaku this week. “This is what we’ve been working hard toward. And I actually would [like] for us to also be known for treating developers with respect.

“I’ve felt that there are hundreds of parallels that could be drawn between the story of the rocky development of Anthem and the story of the rocky and even-more-rocky-to-become development of Cyberpunk 2077.” - Former CD Projekt Red developer

Let's hope their promises are more than lip service.
The truth is that The Witcher 3 wouldn't have been possible if they didn't have access to an endless pool of desperate eastern European devs that want to work in the games industry.

Liking steak doesn't make you want to see how the cow gets slaughtered any more than hailing a cab makes you interested in the cabbie's health benefits.
All this attention "gaming journalists" give to the working conditions of those who help make the products their readers consume - attention paid at the reader's expense - feels out of place as their readers' primary interests (better games for the same money) would typically go directly against the devs' interests in this. It reeks of dicksucking from the part of the media mopes, abusing their position to curry favor with some game devs in the hopes of one day moving up into development (which I guess is a change of pace from currying favor with publishers or political movements).

Are gamers supposed to believe they'd be better served by having less work put into the games they already pay good money for? Not ruining art department drone #56's leisure time when they're struggling to meet a milestone makes for a sweeter game because ....?
The truth is that The Witcher 3 wouldn't have been possible if they didn't have access to an endless pool of desperate eastern European devs that want to work in the games industry.
The crunch may have been what saved TW3 from poorly planned/mismanaged development (most of the gameplay systems seem to have been implemented in the final handful of months) and afaik nobody's arguing for mismanaged projects, but I disagree with the notion that most of those in game studios put up with poor working conditions out of some love of videogames. Artists, writers and possibly a good chunk of the testing/QA staff would be desperate for any work (unlike the IT staff who'd get better prospects elsewhere). The outrage at the Jennifer Hepler quote about not caring to play games was absurd as it's par for the course as far as game writers go.

Meanwhile one of Cyberpunk's leads says they're still figuring out how the open world aspect of the game is going to play out when we're one year away from release, after who knows how many changes in direction/management. But the media pays more attention to whether the devs stick to a 9-to-5...

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Rather than take off whenever they’d like, CD Projekt Red’s developers have to limit their vacation to specific times in 2019. One period will be this summer, right after E3, while another will be in the winter.

What a weird complaint. Isn't that normal? We get 3-5 weeks of vacation time in Europe and it's mostly split between summer and winter so people tend to save their days to take, you know, straight two weeks off when everyone else is also on holiday to take trips, etc. If you work national holidays I assume you're also compensated for it more.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Doesn't look like it's gonna be a 2019 release. For shame because the rest of the year is pretty terrible release wise.

They will need the extra time to remove the nudity from the PS4 version. I am so excited to see the outrage the censorship will cause.

NullFlow

Savant
Pretty clear what happened here. Someone told that Schreier was doing an exposé on CDPR, and the management went full damage control on the narrative so they didn't end up like BioWare. On the overtime thing, it's nice platitudes, but nothing concrete from the CDPR management. They're saying, "You don't have to do overtime, but we'd really prefer if you do or else someone else will take your job" again. Anyways, the Anthem comparison is worrying, though it could be grumbling from the most dissatisfied voices. TW3's development was also rocky and it wasn't at Anthem or Fallout levels of irredeemability.

kalganoat

Savant
If there's one company that needs an expose it's CDPR. Bad working condition over there was reported years ago but nobody gives a shit because everyone loves CDPR. Remember the statement CDPR put out shortly after? It basically said: 'Yeah we work our people like slaves because we want to make the best games lol'.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Should've tried to hire professionals and pay them real wages, then they'd finish the game earlier. Same with Cyberpunk 2077.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They will need the extra time to remove the nudity from the PS4 version. I am so excited to see the outrage the censorship will cause.
They won't, Sony. Too big of a release.

Sony seem to have it as a blanket mandate for now, with "big" games like Devil May Cry 5 being censored as well. Unless they change their policies before this comes out, I could definitely see it being a thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom