Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
The 10 years part is what is so stupid about this whole thing.

Turns out if you don't have deadlines, you keep adding and taking stuff out. Shall we call it the Troika Syndrome?

True. Better than the game be developed by some greedy AAA studio who wanted it out last year and the team on the hook for 25 DLCs that'll gradually make the game fully functional.

vota DC

Augur
Meaning the ETA will be at least one year from now. This game will be either a complete disappointment or another total success just like Warband, no middle ground here.

Actually I think a neutral-positive response is the most likely outcome. What we will get is a slightly improved version of Warband with better graphics, better combat animations, and a few other minor cosmetic or mechanical upgrades. Most of the dumb filler they are advertising in these dev blogs will go unused and/or unnoticed.

People will say things like "it took 10 years to make THIS??" and they'll be right, but the game will still be pretty fun, so at the end of the day no one will be too upset by it.

The improvement will be a lot bigger than the transition from Mount and Blade 1 to Mount and Blade Warband: better engine and more customization. I think it is a good thing that they are couting the expansion improvement for the sequel, it doesn't happens always. An example is GTA: GTA 4 is an upgraded GTA with a better engine but has less features than GTA San Andreas and it is less innovative for the series not only to the 3 (that made the huge jump to the 3d) but to Vice City and San Andreas too.

Latelistener

Arcane
An example is GTA: GTA 4 is an upgraded GTA with a better engine but has less features than GTA San Andreas and it is less innovative for the series not only to the 3 (that made the huge jump to the 3d) but to Vice City and San Andreas too.
GTA 4 has less features mostly because San Andreas was overbloated with it - a whole load of shitty mini-games that had nothing to do with gameplay.

It was more innovative than VC and SA combined together, especially on the engine side. Some things like physics are still best in the series.

A comparison to Warband - Bannerlord is GTA 3 - GTA 4, not San Andreas - GTA 4. Warband is almost perfect, but it lacks some features (like detailed sieges and politics) and if they'll manage to introduce them on the new engine without breaking anything fans will be pleased.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
True. Better than the game be developed by some greedy AAA studio who wanted it out last year and the team on the hook for 25 DLCs that'll gradually make the game fully functional.
Sarcasm aside, this is somewhat true. The bane of the industry now are developers who have all the time in the world to sit on their asses and not produce a product. Who gives a shit how good a game is if you have to wait ten fucking years to play it? And, yes, look at the start date of this thread: we are approaching seven years since this game was initially teased and chances are we are at least another year, if not more, away from release.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1603756162538994025

1f1a406c2ce3eb487a557dc5a92ccb8fadcecd00.jpg

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

In the words of Omar Bradley, “Amateurs talk strategy. Professionals talk logistics”. So buckle up for some serious professional talk, because in this week’s blog we'll be covering supply in Bannerlord -- both how to get the food and other materials that you need, and how to deny them to your enemy!

The party inventory in Mount & Blade games serves as your logistics stock, and Bannerlord makes quite a few improvements on this front. Not only is your food consumption more detailed and realistic, but you need to carry and make use of other types of resources too.

As in real life, you’ll be more likely to have logistics problems as the size of your forces grows. Extremely small parties with a few people may not even require food, as you can live off the land with the right skills. Mid-size parties will definitely require food, however, they can purchase (or loot) their needs relatively easily from villagers or nearby farms. Larger armies going on protracted campaigns need to prepare and plan much more thoroughly. They’ll need large quantities of food, mules, livestock, extra horses, and various other items (for example, tools, which are used for crafting siege weapons).

Even with all the preparation though, you may find yourself out of food after a daring campaign in enemy territory or during a long siege. This can be disastrous for a campaigning army. Your men will start to die or get too weak to fight (being marked as wounded in the game’s system), and even those that are in fighting condition will spawn in battle with reduced morale and hit points.

Luckily, army commanders have options to avoid such a situation. Firstly, different parties in the same army pool their food together, with those that run out of food spending influence in exchange for supplies. This avoids cases where some parties in the army are starving while others are lugging sacks brimming over with grain.

While sharing may mitigate the problem for a while, you may need a better method to replenish your food reserves. Commanders can send out forager parties which will scour the countryside for food, confiscating any resources they come across. They can also send out raiders to attack villages directly, which will not only loot resources but also wreak havoc on the region and damage its economy. Once the enterprising parties re-join the main army, their spoils will be shared among parties in the army, and they will earn extra influence for a task well done.

On the other hand, if you find yourself defending against a superior force who is happily sustaining itself from your fields, you have the option to implement scorched earth tactics, destroying your own fields and denying the enemy the chance to help himself to your grain at the cost of losing the income and food for yourself. Don’t expect any gratitude from villagers, however, who expect their taxes to pay for the defence of their fields rather than their destruction!

blog_post_89_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

In next week’s blog, we will be talking with QA Tester, Onurcan Dönmez. If you have any questions you would like to ask him, please leave a reply in the comments and we will pick one out for him to answer!

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
In the words of Omar Bradley, “Amateurs talk strategy. Professionals talk logistics”. So buckle up for some serious professional talk, because in this week’s blog we'll be covering supply in Bannerlord -- both how to get the food and other materials that you need, and how to deny them to your enemy!

How do you say "have sex" in Turkish?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

How do you say "have sex" in Turkish?

"Seviş"

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, screenspace reflections fighting with alpha transparency on the palm leaves maybe?
I don't know, but it's not the first time I see this.

I think it might be something like what I said. If you watch this and look at the leaf hovering over the pond, it seems to fuck with the depth buffer and thus cutting a hole in the reflection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCXVG0Qw7Fo
It's not unusual.
Especially with deferred shading (which afaik is still one of the most common techniques despite forward shading being a better way on modern graphics cards & APIs), alpha blending is a nightmare to implement. And it is often implemented in a way that makes it affect the depth buffer.
Of course, this is highly speculative, I doubt we have any idea what their rendering pipeline is...

Btw, in that video, something else is fucked up. Notice how the branch on the ground (a 3D object certainly?) influences the reflections.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If game has basic graphic glitches like this, they really need the extra time for the release.
They've already had about three years of extra time. If you fail at using your time efficiently then it doesn't matter how much more time you are allotted. Modders can fix this shit at a better rate than the developers.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
If game has basic graphic glitches like this, they really need the extra time for the release.
They've already had about three years of extra time. If you fail at using your time efficiently then it doesn't matter how much more time you are allotted. Modders can fix this shit at a better rate than the developers.

I mean it is not like they own anything to anybody. There are no pre-orders or kickstarters or whatever. They can release whenever they want.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The thing is being developed by a small team mind you, plus they're running on government funds so they're probably clocking 32 hours a day and 60 days vacations

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
The thing is being developed by a small team mind you, plus they're running on government funds so they're probably clocking 32 hours a day and 60 days vacations

Don't forget the half-days every Friday!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom