Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Yosharian

Arcane
As much as I prefer turn-based for games like this it will have to feel like a fully complete game that way for me to play it.
It pretty much is complete. I think it's much better than the RTWP mode.

Just because Dex is now a dump stat doesn't really change the 'completeness' of the game. Deadfire already had one dump stat - Resolve. Now, it's got two. Characters are just easier to build, now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Do you own the game already? If so, I'd recommend giving it a shot. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's still a lot of fun. Really opens up once you get a full party. Playing with turn-based has caused me to level my characters completely differently than I would have in RtwP, which is a good sign to me that it's different enough to not only showcase some of the strengths of the system that went unnoticed because of the cluster-fuck combat, and that it is its "own thing" enough to cater to a completely different approach with builds.

I bought it day one but still haven't played it because I'm an asshole. I'm hesitant to make turn-based my first run if the game doesn't feel like it was built for it, but if you guys think it's solid then maybe.

Yosharian

Arcane
I think it improves the game substantially. There's a bit of added tedium, but what you get in exchange is fantastic. The game just shines so much more when you can see every ability firing off in detail.

Jinn

Arcane
I think it improves the game substantially. There's a bit of added tedium, but what you get in exchange is fantastic. The game just shines so much more when you can see every ability firing off in detail.

Yep, 100% agree with this statement. PoE's system always felt like it wanted to be turn-based, but was shoved into real-time. Things make so much more sense and it's just more satisfying all around when you can actually see the result of all these crazy abilities and spell you're popping off.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, it's a bloody shame they didn't go with a proper initiative system, though. Something along the lines of Heroes of Might & Magic V.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I've read the entire PnP guide and here are my impressions

:incline:

• Getting rid of the class system
  • Removing level based progression
  • Fallout style background traits
  • Point buy attribute system
  • Phase based combat
  • Ability and spell creation
  • Customizable enchantments
  • Bringing back endurance and wounds
  • 5th edition DnD style tool system
  • Moar skills (approaching GURPs level autism)
  • Aging system, death march, and malady mechanics
  • Affliction/inspiration changes
:decline:

• Seperating ranged and magic damage from the might attribute
  • Removing armor resistances and penetration mechanics
  • Dice roll initiative checks

Verdict: PnP mechanics >>> Videogame mechanics. Although those three declines are infuritiating.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is Sawyer autistic enough to have firearm and crossbow damage not scale with attributes, but have regular bow damage scale with might?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Is Sawyer autistic enough to have firearm and crossbow damage not scale with attributes, but have regular bow damage scale with might?

Might: Melee damage
Dexterity: Ranged damage
Resolve: Magic damage

I was hoping he wouldn't cave in on this. It destroys weapon versatility, encourages min/maxing, and makes dexterity a god stat again (since it also gives a deflection bonus).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No cave. Josh Sawyer's stated reason for having a single damage attribute was because otherwise there are attributes that are useful for some classes and useless/almost useless for other classes. This is a classless system, so that's not relevant anymore. Same thing happened in Tyranny.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Either way, not having to decide between melee, ranged, and magic weapons gave the combat system more versatility than a lot of RPGs.

Something he did cave in on was removing damage types and penetration mechanics. That's going to dumb down encounter design a lot.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's a chore to have to deal with that in every single fight rather than once in a while.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

That is what it should be. Unfortunately Sawyer the boring hack he is just copied the D&D STR/DEX. Even though it is mostly nonsensical and bad for gameplay too.

Why would anyone play this garbage PNP anyway?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm too lazy to read through that, but if you find evidence that Josh employed the same degenerate game design in his PnP that he criticized and avoided in his PoE rules, do let me know :D

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
That is what it should be. Unfortunately Sawyer the boring hack he is just copied the D&D STR/DEX. Even though it is mostly nonsensical and bad for gameplay too.

To be fair, many games copy from DnD. It's the most influential roleplaying system of all time.

If you actually bothered to read the guide, you would know there's a lot of novel mechanics in it that you can't find in most other RPGs. I guess that would be asking too much of you though...

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

To be fair, many games copy from DnD. It's the most influential roleplaying system of all time.

If you actually bothered to read the guide, you would know there's a lot of novel mechanics in it that you can't find in most other RPGs. I guess that would be asking too much of you though...

Yes, I am not known to read. Definitely not the guidebook of Sawyer, which likely is just a front for his fascist ideas.

Sawyer had all the opportunity to make an interesting and fun low fantasy PNP. Instead just made pathfinder 2.0, bravo sawyer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Given Microsoft's recent infestation procural of Obsidian, I doubt we'll see Josh's dream game any time soon.

Quillon

Arcane
What was that PS game JohnGonzo wrote for? The ginger there is close copy of the one above.

2house2fly

Magister
Assassin's Creed is one of the biggest game franchises of all time, and its whole gimmick is taking place in different eras of history. A silver-tongued design director could surely use that to convince his boss that a historical game could sell

The Real Fanboy
Why would anyone play this garbage PNP anyway?

ODdwGXo.png
I’m legit planning to run a game with some of my friends at hockey camp this summer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom