Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Adon

Arcane
Still looks like a big budget PSP game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What makes it worse is that they have been publishing successful turn based RPGs like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler (even was involved with the development of the latter). Sure, it's not "10 million copies sold" levels of sucess, but they were still sucessful. I also think 10 million copies or anything near that for the first year or something is a completely unrealistic measure for the success of a game, even for a Final Fantasy game.

But nope, let's gut the battle system a lot of the Final Fantasy 7 players like in favor of a much more actiony one in a misguided logic that the combat being more action based will sell more than turn based. Let's not even attempt to improve the original, just replace it.

A 3A graphics and development will not justify turn based game tho. Both Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler combined would not amount to maybe half of current FF-7 budget. You need to understand that they are not making the remake for the old fans, or at least not only for the old fans, but to introduce FF7 to newer generation. The original game is lauded as "the best" of FF and FF7 is perhaps the only Square IP with a very strong franchise. Newer gamer know of "the legend" so to speak, but will not try the game, and thus have no connection to the franchise. Making a game which tells the same story (and IIRC they are going to expand each section of the game? Like I remember you are going to able to visit other Midgar sectors or something) with modern appeal is what Square is going for so that newer gamer will have connection to FF7 franchise.

A 1 to 1 remake with only better graphics will only appeal to JRPG veteran, which is not what they are going for. And if you are doing a AAA title, decent action combat will always out-sell TB one simply for general appeal. There is a reason there are very few AAA turn based RPG anymore, be it in Japan or West.

hexer

they just don't get it, do they? sales and relevancy has been on a steady decline ever since they ditched the traditional turn based combat. What's their idea to revitalize the series? just take the most beloved entry and make it in the style of the newer ones which nobody likes. Utter retards. I wonder how many flops in a row do they need to go "back to the roots" and make a classically style FF again.

What do you mean?
FF XV is the third biggest selling FF game, just behind FF VII and FF X.
https://gearnuke.com/final-fantasy-xv-sales-hit-8-4-million-shipped-worldwide/

inb4 FF X Remake

Deflowerer

Arcane
they just don't get it, do they? sales and relevancy has been on a steady decline ever since they ditched the traditional turn based combat. What's their idea to revitalize the series? just take the most beloved entry and make it in the style of the newer ones which nobody likes. Utter retards. I wonder how many flops in a row do they need to go "back to the roots" and make a classically style FF again.

What do you mean?

inb4 FF X Remake

Yeah, it continues to sell well, but XV also had such a messy development cycle and so much wasted resources that I wouldn't be surprised if its return on investment was pretty poor.

flyingjohn

Arcane

What do you mean?

inb4 FF X Remake

Yeah, it continues to sell well, but XV also had such a messy development cycle and so much wasted resources that I wouldn't be surprised if its return on investment was pretty poor.
That is the thing modern publishers refuse to talk about,actual profit and not just sales.
I wouldn't be surprised if older ff games had bigger profits then any modern ff game.

It is also the main reason why games like Pokemon and dragon quest print money,low development costs and high returns.

lightbane

Arcane
inb4 FF X Remake

To be fair, they already did that HD remaster plus ports for the Switch, including the X-2 game. They would have remade all their games... Except for FF8, because someone lost the data of said game. :lol:

mogwaimon

Magister
FFXV is only doing so well because of all the re-releases and the PC version actually being an improvement over the original. Many FF games don't sell so well nowadays because, especially in the case of FF5 and FF6, the ports on Steam and mobile are actually inferior to what you can get for free in an emulator after a five second download.

As for the 7 Remake, it looks terrible. Barret with shades? what were they thinking. The Resident Evil 2 remake already defied history and logic and was actually pretty decent, even my anal retentive RE superfan buddy liked it and he drops a game over the tiniest of flaws. I just don't see lightning striking twice here.

Swigen

Arbiter
I just can not wait to play an unnecessarily actionized version of a game I already know every major plot twist to at a slow drip episodic release rate on my new Google Stadia!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
D6K7R6NXsAAFyJb.jpg

hexer

I actually wonder how they'll remake Tifa.
Her boobs were gigantic in the original.

About that:

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...-as-worries-mount-over-tifas-bust-size/83945/

That article sucks except for the video below and the hilarious closing quote "gamers are staying watchful and vigilant to in order to protect the sanctity of Tifa’s bust size."

So this is how a female artist imagines Tifa in the remake?
Give that woman a medal!

Swigen

Arbiter
Considering what a tramp Cid’s Granddaughter was in FF15 I doubt anyone has to worry about Squeenix downplaying anyone’s bewbs.

Tigranes

Arcane
I have to ask, why the hell is she wearing CHAINMAIL & BREASTPLATE now?

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom