Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I wish I had people to play PNP with, alas no one seems to have much interest in such things where I live.

Still wouldn't play pillars though, warhammer fantasy or ars magica just more interesting.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I have no interest in playing the PnP, but it's interesting seeing where Sawyer's head if he ever directs another game.

Last edited:
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice, they fixed the bug where I (and according to the Obsidian forums others as well) couldn't exit the labyrinth to the Forgotten Sanctum island without the game crashing. :greatjob:

Stinger

Arcane
I started playing this two days ago after avoiding it for a year and waiting for dlcs and patches to come out. Honestly one of the best choices I made. I love turn based mode and so far the game has been extremely entertaining.

I like the factions and the tropical colonial theme a lot more than the less interesting hwpra dwrp setting of the first and the ship stuff has a much more solid mechanic than the stronghold. The companions are...eh, there’s no one on par with Durance or Grieving Mother but about the same level as the others from POE1.

I’m not far in the main plot with Eothas and I don’t care for it as much and find all the Gods stuff a bit on the nose but I’m enjoying the factional politics and islander intrigue stuff enough to keep me going.

But I really can’t overstate how much turn based has made this game for me, I really hope the Owlcat guys make their next game turn based as well as the RTWP combat and all the filler trash mobs really affected my enjoyment of kingmaker. I don’t know that POE2’s encounter design is much better so far but it’s far more palatable in turn based. If there ever is a POE3 I hope they scrap rtwp completely and focus on turn based.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I'm going to start a new playthrough in turn based after finishing my current RtwP one.

What challenges make the game more entertaining or challenging rather than annoying? I'm thinking Ondra, Ryrmgand (sp), Galawain, Berath and Skaen, on the fence about Abydon.

EDIT: And I'm likely to not go for turn based now that I've tried it a bit. I love turn based combat, but I don't think it suits this game particularly well. I like RtwP just as much and it simply moves faster.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
I took a look at the list of challenges as I wanted to take a look at the forbidden sanctum dlc which I had not played through yet and this seemed like the perfect opportunity for a restart. Most of them seem ok, but the Hylea challenge is just pure masochism, especially if you like playing solo. Wael's Challenge is irritating but I could live with it I guess, the rest don't bother me too much.

Xeon

Augur
Path of the Damned seems to be a proper highest difficulty now compared to when the game first came out. IIRC when I played the game when it came out, the fight in front of the cage in the first ruins with Aloth, I think I died once or twice, now I think I had to retry 7 or 8 times, to win and even had to leave the place to go back to town to do all the quests to level up instead of doing them later. Either that or turn base changes the approach of combat or something.

Liking turn base, I can keep track of what is happening with everything now and even read logs instead of just checking the status window. Pathing seems a little wonky during combat tho. Man, I really wish it was action points based like DOS for example instead of XCOM like with moving and acting. Combat takes a lot longer now tho with it, used to finish fights pretty quickly when things worked great, now even against weak enemies it takes some time to wait for turns and graze hits almost all the time.

Edit:
I thought there was an option to sell all junk and whatever, was that removed or is that from a different game? selling things one at a time is kinda of a hassle.

Edit2:
Yeah, I think I am gonna go to RTwP, AoE spells and grenades and whatever that take time are kinda of a hassle to use since enemies tend to move away by the time the spell is cast and its just not that fun to just have one action per turn, it just takes too long for combat that way.

Unrelated to TB, I really like the new ship combat options, I can choose regular battle right away and my ship doesn't take damage which is pretty good, instead of having to get close and then rush for regular combat. Also wonder if completing a god challenge gives you a bonus like the blessings, most of them feel like a drag to deal with, if I bring Vela around with me, does she have some comments or something or a just a helpless mute.

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
You're supposed to lock characters down with engagement before dropping AoE spells. I do agree that combat might just take too long for it to be satisfying in the long run, but some people apparently enjoy it.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Why is every man in Neketaka infuated with gay fish? I've come across no less than a dozen male NPC's that either make a pass or imply some previous meeting with him. fucks sake with this shit

Xeon

Augur
You're supposed to lock characters down with engagement before dropping AoE spells. I do agree that combat might just take too long for it to be satisfying in the long run, but some people apparently enjoy it.

I think that only works if I can get the enemies on a narrow path, enemies tend to push each other and get to me so I can't really just stop them unless I have a narrow space to prevent them from pushing each other otherwise they surround my tanks and I have to cc my party members as well.

RaptorRex888

Learned
I get that he's Ngatis chosen and all that but I'm talking explicit sexual advances from only men. The only section I haven't visited yet is the Brass Citadel.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Some random NPCs will say "Tekehu's here" or "Hey Tekehu" in Perikis overlook, but I don't recall any explicit sexual advances.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why is every man in Neketaka infuated with gay fish? I've come across no less than a dozen male NPC's that either make a pass or imply some previous meeting with him. fucks sake with this shit
Remember, there is no agenda.

I get that he's Ngatis chosen and all that but I'm talking explicit sexual advances from only men. The only section I haven't visited yet is the Brass Citadel.
That's impossible, you are clearly imagining things.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom