Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood: Fresh Supply - remaster by Nightdive Studios, published by Atari

Astral Rag

Arcane
That's an acceptable excuse, no kodex kool kredits lost imo :positive:

Astral Rag

Arcane
testing co-op, so far so good

04F278C39B50FF68AA7010DAC82D535904A804A1
1BC11ABFE64C2A85FD6203DDB8B4D17E5568A79F

E3BE6E3D950DF0858A821FAB45C5919BB4D27AA1

1E98DAD78C2B3E3FA98B5247D32C34D1D71F96CA

DDAA485F623F4923418F33236AA0B3B8430F258E

seen from different perspective
3CC917E16F7E40ABAA20EAE43D87BCDC2BDE40DF

giphy.gif

(apparently ultrawide resolutions are supported too)
597D0CF2B9A5D463C7A9788394DF7C8F768B6360

6ABFDCECF0FAF0436064CA0F2D679731EB37B5C8

A3E73C5AE3A8D479354F949AC53DCD9710D022F8

The game was stable for all of us, no problems there but there is one small negative point, you can't password servers at the moment. I hope they patch that feature in soon.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Excellent remaster/remake/port whatever, well worth $10 to enjoy one of the top 3 FPS games ever made all over again with a fresh coat of paint.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I don't see any difference from the HD mod. The custom difficulty is nice tho,just cramp the enemies to the max and have a blast.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Nice to see him take a break from shilling the latest popular popamoles and degenerate anime filth.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:rage:

They should really make MP module more advanced:

-simple room name
-type of game / level / difficulty
-number of players in-game
-password/no password on room
-ability to kick players by host

[Insert the rainbow below this post]

Dux

Arcane
This Blood remaster seems to be more solid than a lot of other remasters which have popped up in recent years, but I'm still not going to buy it, even with my Blood discount.

There's something going on right now and it might seem innocent but it's actually quite insidious. You have (had) old games just as they were when they were released back in the day, and then some company shows up and decides to do a remaster - with varying results - and all of a sudden the original game is buried or outright removed from the store. You went from having Blood: One Unit Whole Blood in the GOG store to having Blood: Fresh Supply taking its place. Now I'm pretty sure that the original is still available for download if you buy the remaster (just like Strife) but that's part of the problem. It's underhanded. The price is suddenly increased 50% and all of that shit. People from this day onwards who want to buy Blood will have to buy Blood: Fresh Supply, even if they just want the DOS game. That's just the way it is. People who want to buy Baldur's Gate - i.e. the 90s classic - will have to give Beamdog money and even then it's fucked up beyond belief. Don't kid yourselves, people, this shit is insidious. I don't give a shit how sincere the "developers" are, it's still tampering with history. Old games, like the ones you might have picked from the shelf once in an actual store are being buried, renamed or warped beyond recognition. Simple as. It might seem like I'm being overly dramatic here but this kind of thing REALLY bothers me. One example of doing it right is Shadow Warrior. Right now you can buy the Redux version on GOG, which I think is a lot like this Fresh Supply version, or you can buy the Classic version (which I have) if you just want the old game. That's how you do it, but Shadow Warrior is a very rare example.

This shit will escalate until pretty much every single old PC classic has been given this new shiny new cover, with a slightly different name or whatever to justify its existence. Remastered. Enhanced. The old version? Who knows? Who really knows. It might come pre-packaged with the new iteration or you might never see it in a digital store again. I've been buying a lot of old games recently simply because I know that at least a few of them will be getting this treatment and I just want the old games in my library. I know there's a lot of shit going on in the background with rights and all of that but if you have any interest in the actual history of PC games - like I do - then I would be quite worried about what's going on. Blood: Fresh Supply might not be the worst offender out there but it's part of the problem, in my opinion.

Dreed

Bremsstrahlunged
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One Unit Whole Blood is still available for purchase on Steam, at least for now.

In the future shittier versions might even replace those remasters, if the rights keep changing hands, like what happened to poor Duke, where the version by the Gearbox hacks nuked both the DOS version and the Megaton remaster.

I tried the first few levels with this remaster, it seems fine to me, but I replayed the whole game and the expansions on GDX a couple months ago, and I'm in the middle of a Death Wish playthrough, so I'll stay on this for a while (at least until they add the option to see the number of secrets/enemies before the end of a level, my inner
crazyrobot.gif
demands it).

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's something going on right now and it might seem innocent but it's actually quite insidious...

I also like having the games in their original state but personally i do not see the issue with the remakes as long as the original is also included. Yeah, it sucks when the originals are not available anymore, but if they are it is fine IMO. So this one is fine with me since they also include the original game, but their Turok release is inferior since it doesn't include the original PC version (yes, it is a PITA to get it working, but i got it working in Windows 10, in widescreen and even wrote a small patch for it). The higher prices can be annoying, but IMO understandable since reprogramming the entire game from scratch and reverse engineering the game's behavior without the original source code is a lot of work. But i'd like that work to be alongside the original release, even if the latter is just a slab of bytes that nobody can get working (...somebody might do get it working eventually).

As a sidenote, Steam has Shadow Warrior Classic "(2017)" for free and also includes the betas between 1993 to release. It is just the DOS files with DOSBox, so you can download the game and copy the files somewhere else for archival.

In the future shittier versions might even replace those remasters, if the rights keep changing hands, like what happened to poor Duke, where the version by the Gearbox hacks nuked both the DOS version and the Megaton remaster.

This is why i go for DRM-free whenever possible, even with a higher price - as long as i keep my own archives and take care of them, i do not have to worry about what some store does. For me DRM-free games aren't just about the inconvenience of being unable to play a game when the Internet is out (although it *is* annoying when that happens, especially considering that what you'd most likely want to do without Internet is play some game to pass time...), but it is mainly about having control over when to play the game, where to play, how to play, mod, etc, which version, etc.

I hoped that licensed music getting removed from some games (e.g. GTA) from digital copies people have already bought would get a backlash and people move more towards (and demand) DRM-free games, but it fizzled out as soon as it was mentioned.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
The goodies on GOG for the original Blood: One Unit Whole Blood included the soundtrack. New store page doesn't seem to feature it.

Silentstorm

Learned
Kinda regret not having bought the big Blood pack years ago, it was just something i was leaving to do later on, but that doesn't matter since i bought Fresh Supply day 1 at full price and i don't regret it, because Blood is awesome and much better than many more expensive games.

JBro

Arbiter
I wish Nightdive had done Duke Megaton Edition and Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. Those remasters have extremely shitty mouse controls. Blood Fresh Supply is great though.

CyberModuled

Savant
Is it reverse engineered or they had the source?
Reverse Engineered with Kex. For some reason Nightdive never got the source code either due to it being completely lost or copyright hell since Atari only has the licensing rights to sell the first two Blood games, not the IP itself (meaning the source code could be held back due to WB fully owning Monolith now).

sparq_beam

What kind of controls do people use for these build engine games nowadays? I'm playing this with modern WASD+mouse, but last time I played Blood I used the older scheme that only lets you look horizontally with the mouse. It was harder to aim throwables, which are a crucial part of blood, since you had to move your hand away from the mouse and mess with Insert, Home, etc.

Did people play like this when these games were released? Both Duke and Blood have flying enemies (e.g. pigcops on hoverbikes and gargoyles). Others are frequently placed above you. The old scheme is much harder, and it seems surprising that people could comfortably handle these cases back then. Maybe they used keyboard only? This would make the look keys more accessible with your right hand beneath them.

I wonder if the new controls make the game easier than intended.

Solid Snail

Learned
One Unit Whole Blood is still available for purchase on Steam, at least for now.

I tried the first few levels with this remaster, it seems fine to me, but I replayed the whole game and the expansions on GDX a couple months ago, and I'm in the middle of a Death Wish playthrough, so I'll stay on this for a while (at least until they add the option to see the number of secrets/enemies before the end of a level, my inner
crazyrobot.gif
demands it).

I want to take this version for cheap (1-2€) from years now, I missed the Fanatical bundle and the game was never discounted. Now I want to take it 2 times more, considering I can get the new version with a discounted price if I own the first version. Any place to geat a cheap key?

schru

Arcane
What kind of controls do people use for these build engine games nowadays? I'm playing this with modern WASD+mouse, but last time I played Blood I used the older scheme that only lets you look horizontally with the mouse. It was harder to aim throwables, which are a crucial part of blood, since you had to move your hand away from the mouse and mess with Insert, Home, etc.

Did people play like this when these games were released? Both Duke and Blood have flying enemies (e.g. pigcops on hoverbikes and gargoyles). Others are frequently placed above you. The old scheme is much harder, and it seems surprising that people could comfortably handle these cases back then. Maybe they used keyboard only? This would make the look keys more accessible with your right hand beneath them.

I wonder if the new controls make the game easier than intended.
All Build engine games since Duke Nukem 3D had the option to toggle vertical mouse aim from the beginning, but I don't think it was on by default. Usually autoaim was enough to take care of the enemies above your level, I think, though in some of the menu demos in Duke 3D it seems like the developers actually used jumping to negate the vertical difference.

Yeah, the moment I started to notice those random freezespikes during quicksaving, I wanted to know what civvie has to say about it. It's raw, to be quite honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom