Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games similar to Total War

Panthera

Scholar
Re: Imperial Domination II

ArDiGames said:
I came across this topic and decided to register here. I'm actually developing my own game which is similar to the Total War strategic campaigns. You should take a look at my website to download the latest demo. I'm not saying it's at good as the Total War series but I think it will do for a freeware game and it's definitely similar.

The game is still in development and I'm looking for some strategyfans who can give some good feedback because there are hardly any on the GMC where I released the demo.

So if you like Total War (you do if you read this topic) please help me to develop my game Imperial Domination II

Thanks, that's actually kind of fun. I like that you went through the effort of putting in historical unit names.

Why can you only move one unit a turn in battle, though?

Also, I was attacked and I wasn't able to defend myself. All I found the next turn was a missing army.

kris

Arcane
Re: Imperial Domination II

ArDiGames said:
I came across this topic and decided to register here. I'm actually developing my own game which is similar to the Total War strategic campaigns. You should take a look at my website to download the latest demo. I'm not saying it's at good as the Total War series but I think it will do for a freeware game and it's definitely similar.

The game is still in development and I'm looking for some strategyfans who can give some good feedback because there are hardly any on the GMC where I released the demo.

So if you like Total War (you do if you read this topic) please help me to develop my game Imperial Domination II

Not sure why you compare it with total war. Total war games was always about the real time battles and the strategic part has always been pretty poor and mostly a means to get to the battles.

Your game looks more like a classic board game.

Panthera

Scholar
The board game portion has a lot of similarities to Total War, and it does have tactical battles - just not in real time, thankfully.

Martyr

Arcane
I'm not warming up with Total War: Thrones of Britannia. at all. I keep wanting to play Shogun/ Medieval/ Rome/ Medieval 2 while playing Thrones of Britannia, so I'm getting a refund.

browsing through this thread I've stumbled upon the Magitech games, which are coincidentally on sale right now at Gamersgate. and they're cheaper than Thrones of Britannia was.

so my question at commie and everyone else: Strength & Honour 2, Takeda 3, Sango 2 - which one is the best?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not warming up with Total War: Thrones of Britannia. at all. I keep wanting to play Shogun/ Medieval/ Rome/ Medieval 2 while playing Thrones of Britannia, so I'm getting a refund.

browsing through this thread I've stumbled upon the Magitech games, which are coincidentally on sale right now at Gamersgate. and they're cheaper than Thrones of Britannia was.

so my question at commie and everyone else: Strength & Honour 2, Takeda 3, Sango 2 - which one is the best?

Hey man, well it depends on what you are after. From a basic point of view they are more or less the same with Strength and Honor 2 being the newest and Sango 2 the oldest(so a few improvements are to be expected). The big difference is scale: Strength and Honor is basically the entire Ancient World from Rome to China which makes it much more unique than 3 kingdoms Sango or Shogun Takeda. Those are more focused though. All are kinda clunky and confusing interface wise(though a lot better than the earlier games in each series), so it might be a bit heavy going. I actually forgot a lot as haven't had the time for these in recent years so TW style decline has set it somewhat :despair: (Incidentally Warhammer is the only TW game I can stomach these days due to the almost roleplay elements and varied factions which kind of mask the retarded AI).

tl;dr If you only plan on one, and want the most unique experience with the most depth, then go for Strength and Honor 2.

I'll say one thing...the way units are tied to their home cities with morale drops the further from home is one of those mechanics, TW games should have had from the start to avoid ROFLstomping with one elite stack all over the map. You will have to raise varied armies from vassal states of dubious quality, the further from home you go which is historically correct.

Martyr

Arcane

Hey man, well it depends on what you are after. From a basic point of view they are more or less the same with Strength and Honor 2 being the newest and Sango 2 the oldest(so a few improvements are to be expected). The big difference is scale: Strength and Honor is basically the entire Ancient World from Rome to China which makes it much more unique than 3 kingdoms Sango or Shogun Takeda. Those are more focused though. All are kinda clunky and confusing interface wise(though a lot better than the earlier games in each series), so it might be a bit heavy going. I actually forgot a lot as haven't had the time for these in recent years so TW style decline has set it somewhat :despair: (Incidentally Warhammer is the only TW game I can stomach these days due to the almost roleplay elements and varied factions which kind of mask the retarded AI).

tl;dr If you only plan on one, and want the most unique experience with the most depth, then go for Strength and Honor 2.

I'll say one thing...the way units are tied to their home cities with morale drops the further from home is one of those mechanics, TW games should have had from the start to avoid ROFLstomping with one elite stack all over the map. You will have to raise varied armies from vassal states of dubious quality, the further from home you go which is historically correct.

thanks! Strength & Honour 2 it'll be. :salute:
scale does actually matter quite a lot to me. I already own Shogun, Oriental Empires and Nobunaga's Ambition and while I do like them quite a lot, I had always wished that the setting wasn't merely focused on Japan/ Asia.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah it's cool eventually fighting it out between Romans and Chinks(hard to actually achieve, you'll have more likelihood of fighting Romans or Greeks as Indian faction, but at least it's possible).

Martyr

Arcane
Yeah it's cool eventually fighting it out between Romans and Chinks(hard to actually achieve, you'll have more likelihood of fighting Romans or Greeks as Indian faction, but at least it's possible).

yeah, that's one thing that I always liked in these big scale grand strategy games: even if you'll never do it, you still have the possibility to do so. it's more motivating to have the possibility to, like you've said, fight with Romans against Chinese than merely fighting Japanese faction A with Japanese faction B.

Martyr

Arcane
found a review of Strenght & Honour 2 at wargamer com.

TL.DR for those, who are interested: "The strategic game in Strength & Honour 2, despite its drab graphics, is extremely well done. It is not only well constructed and highly effective, but also a major challenge. As the map is huge and the AI empires challenging, you will spend a very long time on a single campaign (if you survive long enough that is)."

ZeniBot

Cipher
Knights of Honour 2 coming out independent of CA.
rFB6BiMFjCQQwYRQIWjDX3QIWu36G6hBqsEeIDPKKbc.jpg

Sadly looking like a Bannerlord sorta deal where we might not hear about it for a while. But I'm looking forward to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom