Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Widelands (freeware Settlers 2 clone) is awesome.

>HaLLuCinOgeN<<

Barely Literate
I'm playing new version. It looks very polished.

Atlantean%20worker%20animation.jpg

:thumbsup:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh man, those roads bring memories. And I am not sure if those are good or bad memories. I loved that game, but the rape and decline that came afterwards...

Eyeball

Arcane
Looks ugly but functional. My question would be: Does it actually add anything to Settlers 2 gameplay? Too many of these fan remakes seem to pretty much copy the original game as faithfully as they can and then forget to actually make it BETTER than the original. What exactly does this add to the otherwise fine Settlers 2 basic gameplay?

>HaLLuCinOgeN<<

Barely Literate
Eyeball said:
Looks ugly but functional. My question would be: Does it actually add anything to Settlers 2 gameplay? Too many of these fan remakes seem to pretty much copy the original game as faithfully as they can and then forget to actually make it BETTER than the original. What exactly does this add to the otherwise fine Settlers 2 basic gameplay?

Whats wrong about Settlers 2 basic gameplay? Settlers 2 was the best in the series so you cant make it better.

Eyeball

Arcane
>HaLLuCinOgeN<< said:
Eyeball said:

Whats wrong about Settlers 2 basic gameplay? Settlers 2 was the best in the series so you cant make it better.
But that was my point - Settlers 2 is a really fun game, why remake it if you're not adding anything new and spectacular, especially if your game looks as ugly as this one?

Nex

Cipher
Eyeball said:
>HaLLuCinOgeN<< said:
Eyeball said:

But that was my point - Settlers 2 is a really fun game, why remake it if you're not adding anything new and spectacular, especially if your game looks as ugly as this one?

This ^^

Why play this rather than just load up Settlers 2?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks fugly compared to the beautiful art of Settlers 2. If they don't add any new features at all, why not make S2 scenarios, the game has a good editor and that way they'd have less work and better visuals.

>HaLLuCinOgeN<<

Barely Literate
JarlFrank said:
This looks fugly compared to the beautiful art of Settlers 2. If they don't add any new features at all, why not make S2 scenarios, the game has a good editor and that way they'd have less work and better visuals.

Try to run it on modern computer, dipshit.

thesheeep said:
Have to agree with this.
And there already is a remake of Settlers 2 with new graphics. An official one.

I tried it but game looks and runs like popamole.

>HaLLuCinOgeN<<

Barely Literate
Turisas said:
>HaLLuCinOgeN<< said:

Just get the Gold Edition from GOG, dipshit.

I have it, you moron. DOSbox port with max res 1024x768 plus questionable stability multiplayer.
No thanks you MORON.

There is modern Settlers 2 port called Settlers 2.5 Return to Roots but isnt yet fully finished and AI can crash your game sometimes:
http://www.siedler25.org

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>HaLLuCinOgeN<< said:
Turisas said:
>HaLLuCinOgeN<< said:

Just get the Gold Edition from GOG, dipshit.

I have it, you moron. DOSbox port with max res 1024x768 plus questionable stability multiplayer.
No thanks you MORON.

Yeah well Settlers 2 in DOSbox with 1024x768 looks better than the rather bad art design of Widelands.

index.php

Arcane
Widelands Build 21 Released
The Widelands Development Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of Widelands Build 21.

Direct download links:
Windows 64 bit 32 bit
MacOS 10.9+ 10.7+
Source code .tar.gz .zip

Since the release of Build 20, we implemented several hundreds of new features and bugfixes, for example:

• A much stronger AI

• New “Peaceful Mode” and several new starting conditions

• More detailed user controls for game speed, map scrolling, and many properties of building windows; new hotkeys; re-added quick navigation with ‘,’ and ‘.’; partly redesigned and modernized user interface

• Allow the player to choose the soldiers to send in the attack box

• New planning-ahead ship scheduling algorithm

• Ferries carry wares over waterways

• Improved display of work areas

• Changing settings for buildings in the constructionsite

• Spritesheets and mipmaps provide high-quality graphics when zooming in

• Numerous fixes and improvements to the tutorials and scenarios

• New editor tool to resize the map

• Lots and lots of balancing tweaks to all tribes

• Extensive behind-the-scenes source code cleanup and refactoring

• Support for Big Endian architectures
Widelands is translated completely into Catalan, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Scottish Gaelic, German, Low German, and Spanish; and the translations for 9 other languages are more than ⅔ complete.

Widelands is distributed for Windows (64-bit and 32-bit) and Mac OS X >= 10.7 (Intel, 64-bit) and in source code. We no longer ship binary Linux packages because of the poor compatibility between Linux distributions. Instead, we try to make compiling for Linux users as easy as possible. Also, most distributions will pick up Build 21 into their repositories very quickly, and we provide a PPA for Ubuntu users. Both binary and source packages are available from http://launchpad.net/widelands/build21/build21 and our Download page.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
I've had a lot of fun with Widelands. The graphics are what they are, you get used to them. The music on the other hand is very good. The economy is more complex than in The Settlers II and is also significantly different for each tribe – in The Settlers II the different races were just sprite swaps. The campaigns are unfinished but what's there is well designed and fun to play. You can also adjust the game speed however you want which is a godsend. So it's definitely not just "The Settlers II but uglier".

index.php

Arcane
Widelands 1.0 Released
The Widelands Development Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of the stable release Widelands 1.0, the first-ever stable release after the end of the beta Builds series.

Direct download links:
Windows 64 bit (32 bit available soon)
MacOS (available soon)
Linux Flatpak
Source code .zip .tar.gz

Since the release of Build 21, we implemented several hundreds of new features and bugfixes; for example, to name just a few of the highlights:

• A new tribe: the Amazons
  • An add-on system
  • A third frisians scenario
  • Dynamic tribe loading to speed up game loading
  • Targeting individual map objects for removal
  • Mute/unmute messages by buildings
  • Fully redesigned main menu
  • Configurable keyboard shortcuts
  • Enhanced keyboard and mousewheel support in the UI
  • Long-term stable Lua API for game content designers
Widelands 1.0 is translated completely into German, Hungarian and Low German, and the translations for 12 other languages are more than ⅔ complete.

Widelands is distributed for Windows (64-bit and 32-bit) and Mac OS X >= 10.7 (Intel, 64-bit) and in source code. For Linux users, we provide a Flatpak package and a Ubuntu PPA and try to make compiling as easy as possible, and most distributions will pick up Widelands 1.0 into their repositories very quickly. Both binary and source packages are available from GitHub and our Download page.

If you like what you see, have a look around this site. You may also want to check the forums and our IRC channel, #widelands on LiberaChat, to arrange multiplayer games with other players.

We especially welcome every helping hand: help us find bugs, translate the game, add new scenarios or features! If you want to get even more involved in the further development of Widelands, you can meet us on the forum at https://www.widelands.org/ or subscribe to widelands-public@lists.sf.net. Releases are also announced to widelands-announce@lists.sf.net.

index.php

Arcane

Widelands 1.1 Released

The Widelands Development Team is proud to announce the immediate availability of the stable release Widelands 1.1.

Windows installer 64 bit · 32 bit
Mac packages (64 bit) MacOS ≥ 11 · M1 Arm MacOS ≥ 11 coming soon
Linux (64 bit) AppImage · Flatpak
Source code as .zip · .tar.gz
List of all downloads

Since the release of version 1.0, we implemented several hundreds of new features and bugfixes; for example, to name just a few of the highlights:

• Three new scenarios: One each for the Atlantean and Frisian campaigns, and a new standalone singleplayer mission
  • An add-ons webserver allows efficient down- and uploading of add-ons as well as interactions such as voting and commenting on add-ons
  • High-resolution images for many units
  • Multithreading provides smoother performance
  • Multiple enhancements to the in-game encyclopedia
  • Diplomacy: Manage your alliances during the game
  • Fastplace: Assign custom shortcuts to buildings to place them with one keystroke
  • In-game loading and restarting of games and scenarios
  • Save and load in-game windows
  • Editor tool history dialog
  • Various AI enhancements
Widelands 1.1 is translated completely into Catalan, German, Hungarian, and Low German, and the translations for 10 other languages are more than ⅔ complete.

Widelands is distributed for Windows (64-bit and 32-bit), Mac OS X >= 11.0 (Intel 64-bit and M1 Arm), Linux (AppImage, 64 bit), and in source code. For Linux users, we also provide a Flatpak package and a Ubuntu PPA and try to make compiling as easy as possible, and most distributions will pick up Widelands 1.1 into their repositories very quickly. Both binary and source packages are available under the links below and from our Download page.

If you like what you see, have a look around this site. You may also want to check the forums and our IRC channel, #widelands on LiberaChat, to arrange multiplayer games with other players.

We especially welcome every helping hand: Help us find bugs, translate the game, add new scenarios or features! If you want to get even more involved in the further development of Widelands, you can meet us on the forum at https://www.widelands.org/ or subscribe to widelands-public@lists.sf.net on http://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/listinfo/widelands-public. Releases are also announced to widelands-announce@lists.sf.net (https://sourceforge.net/projects/widelands/lists/widelands-announce).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom