Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rage 2 from Just Cause devs

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That stupid ass warning better only pop up once, and not every time.

aeroaeko

Learned
Im actually kind of interested in this game, although I'm worried it will be extremely farcry esque. But I'm really itching for a fast paced mindless shooter recently

Pharad

Novice
Already have RAGE 2 on pre-order, don't even care about the comments, critics, reviews and anything that they'll decide to put on the net-space, when I'll ramp through it, I'll come back to report on results myself! <3

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm watching Cohh playing this shit and first impression is shit :)

- they copied most monsters from the new Doom game - literally - it's their franchise after all,
- it's open world but you cannot see shit because there is too much stuff on screen at the same time,
- there is combat mode and dialog mode, basically the game takes control from you when it's time for spoon feed exposition,
- SJW overload from the start (strong women, evil white guy, blablabla) - I cannot wait to see what comes next :)
- overall another boring and generic shooter from Bethesda (+ Denuvo)

Edit: Requires 3rd-Party Account: Bethesda.net :D

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It looks like Bethesda is once again on the fore front of brain dead AI research: enemies with guns prefer to come close to you instead of shooting you !?

This shit doesn't make sense since Quake was released.

Solid Snail

Learned
Rage was a mediocre game with good gunplay, but everything else was boring, subpar or underbaked. It seems Rage 2 is a new Far Cry-like by Bethesda, it looked like that from the presentation, and it turned out to be exactly that.
I'll get it for 5€ during a Steam sale in 2084.

Suicidal

Arcane
still gonna watch forsen stream it for a bit tho

Forsen viewers on my codex? :rpgcodex:

054sys2sr0p01.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I C bajs.
Game looks pretty shit to be honest. The graphics look like they'll give you epilepsy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To answer my own question above, googling tells me it's just an optional Bethesda login inside the game that accesses the online features, same as "The Evil Within 2" whatever that is. No Bethesda launcher, no login required for offline singleplayer. Also Denuvo is a rumor and not confirmed yet according to the Steam forums, but who knows.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Gamespot 6/10

Bethesda was naughty :)

Rage 2's biggest issue is that it's structurally bare; most of its wasteland is made up of short, fragmented activities that hardly ask much from you and don't lead to anything worthwhile.

Rage 2 also lacks an identifiable charisma, which is disappointing for a post-apocalyptic world. While it makes a good first impression by kicking off with an unhinged, in-your-face attitude, it unfortunately never builds upon it.

The Good
- Variety of clever, destructive abilities make combat a blast
- Upgrade tree leads to some meaningful improvements to powers
The Bad
- Main mission ends too soon and doesn't incorporate most of the world
- Underwhelming narrative and bland characters
- Too few opportunities to flex your superpowers with short combat sequences
- Side activities have little consequence

Edit: At the same time they gave 9/10 to mega-flop-shitty-sequel Division 2 :)

Ubisoft has more money than Bethesda. Sad.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rage 2's biggest issue is that it's structurally bare; most of its wasteland is made up of short, fragmented activities that hardly ask much from you and don't lead to anything worthwhile.

I wonder if it'll end up like Avalanche's previous title Mad Max which was panned by professional reviewers with similar sounding criticisms but liked by gamers.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Already have RAGE 2 on pre-order, don't even care about the comments, critics, reviews and anything that they'll decide to put on the net-space, when I'll ramp through it, I'll come back to report on results myself! <3
smart, they might run out of copies on release

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Rage 2 is a fun game that makes me feel like garbage

Rage 2 uses my birth defect as a crude shorthand for mutant freak

By Chris Plante
@plante
May 13, 2019

Every time I begin to enjoy Rage 2, it finds a new way to treat me like shit.

There’s a lot of individual bits I’ve liked in Bethesda’s new post-apocalyptic shooter, created by the open-world geniuses at Avalanche Studios and the gunplay experts at id Software. And I have no doubt we will be unpacking what makes its open-world click in the coming days, if not weeks. But never has a game so personally, directly bummed me out.

I should have seen this coming.
Just because a developer listens, doesn’t mean they hear us

Last summer, I had a chance to talk with id Software studio director Tim Willits about Rage 2. After a relatively straightforward interview running through the game’s grabbag of inspirations, the conversation shifted to something more personal: my birth defect and how the game presents it as a crude joke.

Rage 2’s publisher Bethesda had just revealed a $119.99 collector’s edition that would come with a talking, robotic bust of Ruckus the Crusher, one of the game’s many goliath mutants. Like all the other Crushers in the game, Ruckus has a gash running from the top of its upper lip through his nose, as if its face didn’t fully form at birth.

It sings! It jokes! And now it's coming to a wall near you. Get your own Ruckus the Crusher with the #RAGE2 Collector's Edition. His voice sure sounds familiar… @AndrewWK pic.twitter.com/L2gSJQjFs2
— Bethesda (@bethesda) June 11, 2018

The mutation, I explained to Willits, looks like an exaggerated cleft lip and cleft palate. The original Rage used similar imagery for its mutants, and I told Willits how disappointed I felt to see the sequel following that same path. Fiction has long associated clefts with both villainy and mental health disorders, and it appeared the Rage franchise would perpetuate this cruel, damaging misrepresentation to a broad audience.

Willits, to his credit, was receptive to the feedback. Here’s the relevant portion of our interview:

Tim Willits: So you feel that it’s a little insensitive?

Plante: Yeah. It makes me a little uncomfortable when it’s always the bad guys that have the upper lip and nose removed, effectively.

Willits: You know, I never really thought of that. I mean, you know, we try to make — you know, Kenneth Scott was our art director on Rage 1, and yeah, I mean I kind of feel bad now. Sometimes it’s hard when you — you don’t live in that world, so you’re like, ‘Oh, these guys …’ So I apologize. And you know, yeah, I’ll talk to the guys.

Plante: Sure. Are mutations normal for the heroes, too, in this version of the game?

Willits: It’s mostly the bad guys. But we do have some — the heroes in Rage 2 are not as pretty as the heroes in Rage 1. Someone did, like, “the girls of Rage” posters and stuff, so we are trying to be a little more balanced. And the Avalanche guys have been very good about being a little more sensitive. So I do think we have a better balance.

I’ve now played a significant amount of Rage 2, and I have to wonder if Willits forgot to have that conversation. Or if that conversation was had, was it closer to a cost-benefit analysis: will enough potential players be upset to warrant the investment in improving these character designs?

I can now say with certainty that “the Avalanche guys” have not been “very good about being a little more sensitive.” Or perhaps Willits meant “little more” in a literal sense. As in they have made the smallest effort.

Rage 2’s use of cleft lip and palate imagery in the final game is worse than I expected, and certainly worse than its predecessor. I already mentioned the The Crushers, who are both recurring bosses and environmental hazards, each of them with an identical facial design.

I made peace with the Crusher design months ago. I hate it. It’s awful. But I understand the crass reality of it all. Long before last summer, Bethesda leadership felt that Crusher could be for Rage what the silly Claptrap is for Borderlands, a clear inspiration for the series. A mascot of sorts, a visual icon for the entire series. They’d already greenlit that crummy Big Mouth Billy Bass knockoff collector’s edition. The die was cast.

And besides, I thought before diving into Rage 2, how many times could they use this cleft imagery in one game?

A lot, it turns out! The cleft is used with such frequency that it feels like a visual cue: The exaggerated cleft signifies the most mutated of mutants, subhuman beasts that are caged, ridden like horses, or mounted like animals.

Early in the game, I meet a scientist riding a humanoid beast. The creature also has a cleft lip, this one less exaggerated, more like my own at birth. The creature is covered in its own drool, a straw hanging from its mouth. There’s a certain Total Recall Kuato schtick going on here between the scientist and the creature, but one thing is clear: the beast is meant to be a freak. The intention is for every player to be repulsed.

On some level, Willits told the truth when we we last spoke. The good characters aren’t as “pretty” as they were in the original Rage — though most of the women in the game easily fall within that realm. But their designs aren’t thoughtful or interesting either. The artists depict the spectrum of weight and age with the grace of a Mad Magazine cover.

There’s a lopsided consistency to the world. The better the character, the more traditional their beauty. The sketchier the character, the more deformed. Obviously there are the rare exceptions, but by and large, the “good characters” aren’t “mutated.” Most human characters look like central casting actors and actresses in post-apocalypse makeup. A little dust here and there.

When I spoke to Willits last summer, I came away from the conversation optimistic. Here’s what I wrote a few hours after that meeting:

I recognize I have the rare opportunity to actually speak to creators in person, that there isn’t a better means for other people outside my position to have this experience. And I recognize that people of other backgrounds have for decades had to play games that treat them as targets — and that they still do. But for a moment, I felt a surge of optimism. If developers can be open, if they can make efforts to find other voices rather than wait for those voices to come to them, then everyone could feel welcome to play the hero, rather than be forced to spot themselves as the villain.

That optimism is gone. I suspect there could be a later game character that serves as a counterpoint, that the Crushers have hearts of gold and have been weaponized by humans, that there’s some text log hidden in the world that explains the designers good intentions. But that assumes I can last another dozen hours in a wasteland that makes me miserable.

Midway through my time with Rage 2, I sprint through a sticky night club — one of those forgettable video game environments that transitions the player from one big action set piece to the next. It’s the sort of generic area you see the same art asset on the wall a half dozen times because, hey, the space isn’t a huge priority.
A mutant bust in Rage 2
The mounted bust of a mutant in Rage 2. Avalanche Studios/Bethesda

On its wall, instead of posters, hang a series of identical mutant busts, all with the same exaggerated cleft. This isn’t a Crusher or the scientists’ beast, and the asset, while custom, is not central to the game. Now I’m no expert in game design, but I feel confident saying these busts could have been removed with minimal time and effort. It wouldn’t have required canceling pre-orders, delaying development, or halting production on novelty special editions.

But here it is anyway. Another mutant with a cleft, letting me know this one is truly subhuman, so far from the other humans that it can be mounted like a hunted animal. It adds the tiniest environmental flavor for some players, but makes others feel like absolute trash.

So much for a “little more” sensitivity.

Heretic

Cipher
Chris Plante, the cleft lip retarded mutant freak that criticized the successful space scientist Matt Taylor who just landed a probe on a comet for his shirt?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom