Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher W3EE - Overhaul mod to TW3 that fixed everything that was wrong with vanilla game.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I suppose W3EE posting should go in here instead of the main thread. I'm really enjoying W3EE after getting over some initial annoyances. I had previously played version 3 up to the griffin fight, and before that i had only ever played vanilla witcher to the bloody barons quest, so I'm very glad that i still have loads of this game and its expansions to enjoy with this mod instead of the dull vanilla gameplay.

Only thing in the mod ive edited is turning off the wood/timber requirement to make a fire. I thought it was fucking stupid how im having to search far and wide or go to a merchant for wood when theres forests fucking everywhere. What, geralt never gathered firewood before? Whatever.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Only thing in the mod ive edited is turning off the wood/timber requirement to make a fire. I thought it was fucking stupid how im having to search far and wide or go to a merchant for wood when theres forests fucking everywhere. What, geralt never gathered firewood before? Whatever.
You can also just breakdown items that have wood or find an existing fire/campfire to do most of your resting in.

I agree with you that it's annoying though. I wish they'd include some kind of hatchet mod or just put more wood in shops or something.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This makes me want to try the game again, see if I can calm down on my TW3 hate. Not that I actually hated it, I just thought it was boring in every way outside of story. This sounds like it does a lot to change that. Will definitely remove those weight limits though, fuck that noise and fuck everyone who craves that kind of pointless inventory management for "muh reelism!"

This makes me want to try the game again, see if I can calm down on my TW3 hate. Not that I actually hated it, I just thought it was boring in every way outside of story. This sounds like it does a lot to change that. Will definitely remove those weight limits though, fuck that noise and fuck everyone who craves that kind of pointless inventory management for "muh reelism!"
the biggest thing I can give the author credit for is the amount of adjustability the mod offers.

even for the few things that there is no setting for in the game, the author tagged all of his content in the script files "W3EE", so it's easy to find what content he added and modify it or remove it.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
DalekFlay Do it. I think for the "de-leveling" alone is worth it, and how the base game should have been designed. I am not sold on the new combat system, but imo Witcher combat has always been bad and no mod can ever fix it. But as Lambchop says this mod is massively customizable so you can fit it to how you like.

Yosharian

Arcane
The problem is being arsed to play through an 80-hour campaign, which I've already done twice and the second time was balls-achingly boring, yet again, in order to experience the DLCs which I haven't played yet, 'overhauled'.

I just don't think I can do it. I reason I haven't played the DLCs yet is because when I finished the main campaign for the second time, I just ragequit out of sheer frustration and boredom rather than actually play the DLCs, DLCs which were the entire reason I started the 2nd playthrough in the first place.

Jinn

Arcane
I just don't think I can do it. I reason I haven't played the DLCs yet is because when I finished the main campaign for the second time, I just ragequit out of sheer frustration and boredom rather than actually play the DLCs, DLCs which were the entire reason I started the 2nd playthrough in the first place.

Like I said earlier in the thread, not only can you start the EE mod with an endgame save from the OC, but you can also just do the DLC "fresh start" new game. You'll be a little gimped with the later option, but I've tested both options out and they work.

Yosharian

Arcane

Like I said earlier in the thread, not only can you start the EE mod with an endgame save from the OC, but you can also just do the DLC "fresh start" new game. You'll be a little gimped with the later option, but I've tested both options out and they work.
I think I would do the former. Is it easy to install?

Edit: You LIE.

Warnings and Tips

•You must begin a new game after installing Enhanced Edition. No exceptions.

•New Game Plus is not supported.

Jinn

Arcane

Yeah, it's super easy to install. You just need to drag the contents of the mod folder into your root W3 directory and overwrite the files. Not even a very big download easy.

Also, sorry. I confused this thread with the official Witcher 3 thread. That's where I had mentioned all this before, so no wonder you didn't see it!

Anyway, I'd recommend installing the mod and getting yourself acclimated to the new system by just going around and doing a few sidequests. It's actually a very smooth process getting used to the way things are done in EE once you get going.

Yosharian

Arcane

Yeah, it's super easy to install. You just need to drag the contents of the mod folder into your root W3 directory and overwrite the files. Not even a very big download easy.

Also, sorry. I confused this thread with the official Witcher 3 thread. That's where I had mentioned all this before, so no wonder you didn't see it!

Anyway, I'd recommend installing the mod and getting yourself acclimated to the new system by just going around and doing a few sidequests. It's actually a very smooth process getting used to the way things are done in EE once you get going.
Yeah but you can't use a pre-existing save. I updated my post.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah but you can't use a pre-existing save. I updated my post.

Yeah, that's what it says I guess. Not exactly sure why though, because I've done it with zero issues. Guess it's your call whether you want to try it or not, but the only reason I can see him saying that you can't is because it would throw the balance of the mod off a bit. As I've said in the other thread though, it seems nearly impossible to become "OP" with this mod, particularly when if you were feeling that you were OP, you could just go into the extremely customizable difficulty options and tailor it to your liking from there.

This is all based off about 6 hours of gameplay with EE applied over my old save. I'm willing to take the risk myself, because like you, there's basically no way I'm going to play through the OC again, but with the comparison between my old save and a new "fresh DLC" game, I preferred what I saw in my old save.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I'm curious about this:

- Loot Scarcity
Many of the chests, barrels, and bundles in the world have little or nothing in them.

Does this fix the issue of walking into people's houses and finding endless piles of loot that you can take without consequence?

Yosharian

Arcane
And this:

- De-leveling
There are no “character levels” or “item levels” in Enhanced Edition. There are no quest levels, area levels, or display elements that mention levels.

How does the game gate story quests if there are no levels?

Yosharian

Arcane
Lastly, does anyone have a recommended build for EE?

IIRC, I've played the following:

1. A Medium armor build that focused on some Sign usage, mostly Quen, with some Yrden, and then mostly physical attacks to actually kill things. Maybe some Aard, but not much.
  2. A Heavy armor build that focused on Alchemy to become tanky as fuck, with some physical abilities to boost damage. I did this on Death March. It seemed to work quite well.
So I'd love some ideas for different builds to make it more interesting for me to play, if I do end up playing again.

Some ideas:
  • An Igni build. I never played with Igni as the full damage dealing ability. It sounds fun.
  • A bomb build. Again, never played with bombs as the primary damage dealing ability. Sounds interesting, but maybe it's too annoying to craft all those bombs? Not sure.
  • A light armor build. Crits and fast strikes, I guess? I don't know much about how this might work. I just know that I never used Light Armor before.
  • An Axii build? Dunno, not sure how that might work.
If I were to start again, it wouldn't necessarily be on Death March this time, although it might be.

I'm looking for something that offers either exciting gameplay, to make the combat more interesting, or an OP-as-fuck Geralt, so I can blast though it without stress.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Really you gotta just play the mod, run around and do some fighting to get a feel. The combat is WAY different to vanilla and will require complete rethink in how you make a character and approach a battle. And all skills are active all the time so you can make any "build" you feel like.

Not sure how I feel about the combat in the mod, on the one hand its great that every fight can be brutal and you need to plan and really think. But on the other, it forces you to spend a lot more time on what is fundamentally a bad system, ie vanilla witcher combat... In the end I guess its for the better as you feel a lot more like a real Witcher, you can die to anything if you are stupid or slow, and big scary monsters are FUCKING SCARY in this mod.

Yosharian

Arcane

Really you gotta just play the mod, run around and do some fighting to get a feel. The combat is WAY different to vanilla and will require complete rethink in how you make a character and approach a battle. And all skills are active all the time so you can make any "build" you feel like.

Not sure how I feel about the combat in the mod, on the one hand its great that every fight can be brutal and you need to plan and really think. But on the other, it forces you to spend a lot more time on what is fundamentally a bad system, ie vanilla witcher combat... In the end I guess its for the better as you feel a lot more like a real Witcher, you can die to anything if you are stupid or slow, and big scary monsters are FUCKING SCARY in this mod.
Yeah I actually RTFM and found out about the changes to skill tree development. Sounds really interesting. I think I actually will start from scratch using this mod. Can't hurt to try I guess

Still wondering about what other mods I should use with W3EE

I see that the W3EE author has recommended these mods... somewhat:

New Fires
Nosferatu Font
Minimap Reworked
Vagabond Armor
Shields (only install the DLC part)
Griffin Armor
Brutal Face
Monsters Come Out at Night

Is W3EE compatible with BiRaitBec's modlist ( https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2662 ) ?

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Cant help as the only mod I ever used with this game was the HUD hiding mod before trying EE. I did finally get a lighting mod just now, and oh my god the difference... Dunno what they were thinking with the original lighting, its so garish and ruins so many areas in the game. Removing it makes game world actually beautiful and far more realistic.

Yosharian

Arcane
Cant help as the only mod I ever used with this game was the HUD hiding mod before trying EE. I did finally get a lighting mod just now, and oh my god the difference... Dunno what they were thinking with the original lighting, its so garish and ruins so many areas in the game. Removing it makes game world actually beautiful and far more realistic.
Oh, which mod are you using? Is it that new Phoenix Lighting one?

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

I'd be careful with other mods that modify scripts.

the script merger is said to work poorly with EE.

it'd be safer to just do a clean install with EE as it contains modifications to just about everything, unless the mods are just texture mods or something and don't touch the same files.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom