Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale I & Icewind Dale II Mod Thread

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tactics is pretty good. If you think the vanilla game is too easy, go for it. It doesn't just buff enemy stats, they use new spells, get reinforcements in some fights, there is more items and scrolls etc.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Was there ever a fix for the AI? It used to be that the instant any enemy spotted a lone party member—who then manages to hide, or become invisible, caused the whole enemy population to 'conga-line' their way across the entire map to wherever the rest of the party was hidden; it was absurd. Solitary thieves who got spotted would (if they escaped into the shadows) cause magic users on the other side of the map to have enemies target them, and then proceed there by the most direct route. In a minute you would have melee fights break out in your party's midst, for a single enemy sighting a solo PC on the other side of the map—no matter how dense the map.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, feeling like playing IWD2 again, never used mods before, some simple questions:

1) Ease of Use and Fixpak both include "fixes", some of which overlap. Should i bother with those, and if yes, what's the install order?

2) I'm avoiding most of the stuff in the Ease of Use since it just seems cheesy or potentially bugged (the finessable touch spells seems interesting, but i don't know, the less i change, the better), but i'd like to give the armor resistance part a shot. The description says this alters both the party AND the enemies, which would open up the game for some interesting change in tactics, ASSUMING this shit isn't bugged or broken. Anybody tried it? On my last try i found heavy armor is kinda shit in this game but i like heavy armored guys so maybe this will make them more engaging.

3) If i decided to install tactics, what's the order, and will it break the other shit?

4) Any mod i should also include? Some people recommend Light of Selune, but i haven't found a single mod that added items that wasn't shit and this thing is supposed to add a lot of them. Also supposed to "improve" the ranger. Yeah rangers are shit but usually class "improvements" in those mods means broken and overpowered classes.

And, that's it i guess? Not sure if there's anything else. Yeah yeah ammo stacking etc that's granted.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So IWD is coming up on my play list after Diablo 2, and I'm thinking of which characters to use.
I've already played it several times, first time a full party including a Bard. I decided the Bard was OP due to the free healing, so I went with a Druid next time, which was more fun. Third time was a LOTR themed party (only one Halfling), and the fourth time was a solo run with an Elf (or possibly Half-Elf) Fighter/Mage/Thief, who survided until the Trials of the Luremaster.

This time I'm thinking of a Fafhrd&Gray Mouser duo run.
Fafhrd must of course be a Barbarian, but which mod(s) allow you to create a Barbarian? I really don't want to give money to the shameless shysters at Beamdog for the EE version.

Gray Mouser should be a Fighter/Mage/Thief, but that would mean not human, unless some mod allows for human multi-class?
Alternative is Thief/Mage dual class, or a Bard or Bard subclass.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Who is expert on both AD&D and F&GM?
Zed Duke of Banville

Last edited:

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I've heard sprites are better on the 1.06 patch, anyway to get that using the GOG version?

Lilura Chippy Cael or any other IE nerd.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Shot in the dark to see if anyone might know what's causing a slight problem in my newly-installed GOG IWD2 installation.

I have just a few mods installed so far, in this order:

- Widescreen mod
- GUI fix
- Almateria's IWD2 Fix Pack
- IWD2 Tweakpack

and, lastly,

- 1pp 4.1.0

Everything installed fine and looks great, but the problem I'm having (and the only problem, I think) is that, strangely, no helms in the game are showing up either on paper doll or on my characters in the game world.

I know it's a minor quibble, but I reminded myself by looking at the original game's screenshots that helms should indeed show up and it's bugging me that they're not.

I tried re-installing 1pp, which I suspect is causing the problem, and, specifically, uninstalled its "additional helm animations" option, but that made no difference. Helms, no matter which style I equip on any character, don't appear properly.

Since I just started I'm about ready to just reinstall everything from scratch, checking along the way to see what's causing it, but someone here might have seen this before.

Help an old man out, will ya?

agris

Arcane
Patron
haven’t played iwd2 since release, but didn’t it have a native option to display helms or not? did you check the normal game options Crispy or the config program if iwd2 still uses it?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Undead Targos is shit. So just ignore that page completely.
I've just tried Undead Targos for the first time on this year's Icewind Dale I & II winter annual playthrough and, well... let's say I didn't like it and call it a day.
So I typed "Undead Targos is shit" in Google in search of like-minded fellows on the web. And sure enough, the one link wiith the exact same quote was a link to the Codex.
:love:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
IWD EE needs a mod that removes all the Beamdog addition. Before that it's unplayable, as the game is too easy.

Sunri

Liturgist
IWD EE needs a mod that removes all the Beamdog addition. Before that it's unplayable, as the game is too easy.

Meh I like mixing weird classes and making thematic party so i don't need some hardcore challenge I just wanted to spice things up

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
One thing is being hardcore, another is playing on story mode. AI has no way to answer to the spells added in the game. Can't even detect invisibility.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I was thinking the same thing recently. IWD 2 could especially use its own SCS. The combat system is so fucking tight in that game. Makes you appreciate the 3rd edition. The only problem is that the game is bad and stupid and so are the enemies.

I wonder how the IWD2:EE mod is doing. With Beamdog forums being down for so long there was no way to follow the project's progress. Which is weird and not a good sign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom