Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Japanese Creatives

Who is the greatest Japanese creative lead?

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
I'm sure there are a ton of people I'm missing.

I've been thinking of TADA and Anno a lot recently, so I guess this is why I made this poll.

Machocruz

Arcane
Otomo is one of my favorite artists ever, but his output is small and much of it hard to find in comparison to a lot of others.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
SWERY a gud boi
love.png

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Bra...st_Monk_What_does_this_mean_for_his_games.php

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Yeah, he's not an actual monk, more like a pseudo-ordained layman. The actual Japanese monks in general don't follow the vinaya, which is what's necessary to be an actual Buddhist monk and consists of 220+ rules which have to be given and maintained in a certain manner; their system is more based on the Bodhisattva vows found in the Surangama sutra.

A layman can go beyond merely taking refuge in the Three Jewels of Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha, which is what's necessary to be considered a Buddhist on the most basic level, by following one or more of the Five Precepts, which are:

To refrain from killing
To refrain from stealing
To refrain from sexual misconduct
To refrain from wrong speech
To refrain from intoxication

So he could either just have faith in the Three Jewels, or additionally one or more of the Five Precepts.

Japanese in general love getting pissed up though.

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Come on, you at least have to put Osamu TEZUKA in there, and Fujiko F. Fujio too. Out of the name listed I'd pick either Toriyama or Amano, though.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Having now played Nier Automata and gone on a Drakengard deep dive, it's not a stretch to draw comparisons between Nier/ Drakengard and Rance, as well as the peculiarities of Taro Yoko and TADA. Something about cruel gods. Although, points to Taro, Drakengard's lore has a rambly, chaotic and weird quality that feels almost mythological or biblical. But, points to TADA, he kept AliceSoft small and indie so that Rance is Drakengard but uncensored.

2897.jpg

TADA.png

Also I just noticed that TADA's bio on alicesoft's wiki has been completely rewritten. Wow.

Also played Death Stranding so I can claim to have played a Kojima game now.

Last edited:
Having now played Nier Automata and gone on a Drakengard deep dive, it's not a stretch to draw comparisons between Nier/ Drakengard and Rance, as well as the peculiarities of Taro Yoko and TADA. Something about cruel gods. Although, points to Taro, Drakengard's lore has a rambly, chaotic and weird quality that feels almost mythological or biblical. But, points to TADA, he kept AliceSoft small and indie so that Rance is Drakengard but uncensored.

2897.jpg

TADA.png

Also I just noticed that TADA's bio on alicesoft's wiki has been completely rewritten. Wow.

Also played Death Stranding so I can claim to have played a Kojima game now.
Taro's games aren't really about chaotic gods, even though the characters claim it all the time. Drakengard is mostly commentary about how gamers fight games where they kill thousands of people and they don't think it's wrong to celebrate mass murder in such a manner, which is why every single character is like a "fuck you" to the hopes and expectations of a normal rpg/action game player. The third game is more or less the same, but like on purpose (which has become somewhat of a meme in the community). And in the case of Nier, one deals with the
destruction of mankind

, and in the second game, the previously mentioned God is just
mankind itself.

Jason Liang

Arcane
In Drakengard (going by youtube videos, have not played either game) the gods are not as concretely defined as Rance's Ludo, but nevertheless both series (as well as Anno's NGE) share a central narrative about humanity ultimately in battle with the apocalyptic agents of omnipotent cosmological entities, directly or indirectly creating a world full of human suffering - or ones where suffering is allowed or expected.

Still, what put the two together for me was actually how Drakengard's setting of dragons and men echoes the Rance setting of dragons being the protagonist race before humans, or more generally the idea of a cycle of protagonist races.

Last edited:
The thing that I feel separates Taro's creations from the rest of the general jrpg tropes is that gods don't directly cause anything, but the yearning humans feel for them does. I think 9S's character arc in Automata you see this in full.
After all, the mantra of The Watchers

Speak not the Watchers,
Draw not the Watchers,
Write not the Watchers,
Sculpt not the Watchers,
Sing not the Watchers,
Call not the Watchers' name

Isn't meant to be taken as a form of prohibition for all things sacred (like not using God's name in vain), but as a reminder of how inevitable fate is: no matter what you do, it's going to happen anyways.

S.torch

Arbiter
>Only one vote allowed

The poll is completely useless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom