Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What class in Bloodlines?

Baker

Novice
Really all you need to do is pick which Speech skill you want to use and which Combat skill you want to use and that's about it since you will be getting the most out of those two skills more than any other apart from Hacking/Security. Then just pick one or two of the disciplines that you think sounds fun to use and you're all good.

My personal favourite type of chracter to play is Tremere with ranged, persuasion and thaumatology. It has a nice "gimmick fps" feel to it causing bodies to explode everywhere while mowing down anyone that gets in your way.

Norfleet

the only good melee is stealth kills and that's because you don't have to deal with the mmo-like floatiness of the melee in this game.
I think it's not so much the floatiness as it is the invulnerability frames that kick in after you land several consecutive strikes on an enemy. The melee combat is actually easy because just about any non-boss enemy can be stunlocked indefinitely without investing a single point into melee abilities.

I personally remember getting the best results of Toreador because they get a bonus to all the social stuff that you can't bull your way through by player skill, while a low-level Celerity was the only combat boost I actually needed since I'm getting too old for this shit.

Others would probably give you more combat boost, but, well, I'm actually decent at combat and so don't need that many buffs for it, but you can't be "good" at the social game, without which you miss most of the game's content.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Glad this thread popped up.

I tried starting my second (failed) Malkavian playthrough yesterday (the previous one I had also quit) and I just can't get into this character. Everyone raves about it, but I can't feel the LARP. Maybe it's because I have schizophrenia and know for a fact that being crazy isn't sexy, or cool, at all, and LARPing one...I just can't enjoy it.

I really enjoyed the katana Brujah playthough that I did a few years ago, but want to try something different.

Ventrue disciplines aren't really that combat useful, but the LARP looks fun. I don't want to play Nosferatu because I don't want to be ugly and spend the whole game hiding.

I'm on the fence with Tremere...spells can be cool, but will it really feel like I'm playing a vampire?

First playthrough for me was with a ventrue and dominate is very useful (and entertaining) in combat. Later guns are also very strong even without auspex or celerity so playing as a gunslinging spellcaster works just fine, it's not like the game is that hard.

The non-combat larp is the best part tho, being able to mind control your way through conversations really does make you feel like royalty.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the only good melee is stealth kills and that's because you don't have to deal with the mmo-like floatiness of the melee in this game.
I think it's not so much the floatiness as it is the invulnerability frames that kick in after you land several consecutive strikes on an enemy. The melee combat is actually easy because just about any non-boss enemy can be stunlocked indefinitely without investing a single point into melee abilities.

This has not been my experience. Enemies will magically recover and hit me back after landing a lot of hits.

Your character does a lot of fancy acrobatics in melee but barely moves forward, which makes them look like they're suspended by strings. there's also very little connection between hits and knockback animations. It all looks very ugly and disjointed.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Toreador with Guns & Auspex plus hacking or security and your favorite social skill make a great first time experience

Crichton

Prophet
When Bloodlines first came out, I liked it enough to play through three times:

1) Nosferatu gunslinger. I can't recommend this one for a first playthrough; avoiding being seen on the street is just a pointless pain in the ass; they should have given the PC a hat and trench coat. On the plus side, trying to use guns early on was so rage-inducing that by the time I got the high-end guns, I really wanted to murder all the pretty boys, excellent role-playing aid. Ended up going independent.

2) Gangrel fist(claw)-fighter. This is pretty straightforward, beat on people with your fists, if someone gets clever, pull out your claws. Not much in the way of unique content but very easy combat and you actually get to use the disciplines for something. Went with the Anarch ending.

3) female Malkavian w/ melee weapons. Again, would not go with this for a 1st playthrough, sometimes the Malk dialog doesn't really make sense unless you're familiar with the normal version. But it was a lot of fun, You get the fun of collecting weapons, but melee weapons are viable throughout the game. Nice synergy between melee weapons and Obfuscate. Took the Camarilla ending here just for novelty.

When they announced the sequel, I reinstalled and started a Tremere gunfighter playthrough. I like the haven. Discipline wise, I'm not impressed by Thaumaturgy but Auspex does make one handy with a heater.

TDLR:

For a first playthrough, I would avoid Nosferatu and Malkavian and use either fists (if Gangrel) or melee weapons (if anything else).

Vibalist

Arcane
Melee is OP on account of making money useless. If you're a gunslinger, you'll be spending all your cash on ammo alone. If you're a brawler, you're not gonna need money for much of anything.

It's one of the weirdest cases of imbalance in a game I've ever seen, but kind of interesting I guess.

It's tricky because the combat kinda sucks in Bloodlines in general. I would avoid going melee, because the melee combat REALLY sucks, it's just spamming the left mouse button basically, with horrible animations to boot.

Some people rave about the Malkavian playthrough, but I dunno, seems too gimmicky for me, just like playing Arcanum with int = 3. It's fun at first, but then quickly becomes wearisome.

I think the best build is a gunslinger with the Anaconda revolver. It does a lot of damage, looks cool, you can do single shot or fan it for massive damage. Torreador (with Celerity - Bullet-time) or Ventrue (for complementaty diplomatic skills) are probably the best clans for this build.

Goromorg

Savant
Guys, I found this gem on moddb
LasombraVentrue_carbon_skin_By.jpg

https://www.moddb.com/mods/bloodlines-antitribu/addons/lasombra-ventrue-carbon-skin-by-3dell
On topic: toreador with guns and celerity is def more fun than unarmed brujah. Haven't tried other clans.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I think Tremere may be the easiest clan. There's only one fight in the whole Bloodlines that is """""difficult"""" and with Tremere it becomes a joke (it is also an optional fight).

Also, playing a Malkavian felt harder on a lot of occasions.

Very easy game though, just go with what clan lore you like IMHO.

Norfleet

Malkavian isn't a good first play because a whole lot of the dialogue is meta you won't understand unless you've been through this once before.

Master

Arbiter
Melee is OP on account of making money useless. If you're a gunslinger, you'll be spending all your cash on ammo alone. If you're a brawler, you're not gonna need money for much of anything.

It's one of the weirdest cases of imbalance in a game I've ever seen, but kind of interesting I guess.
Ammo in not really that expensive, 15 bucks for a clip maybe? But blood is expensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom