Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher W3EE - Overhaul mod to TW3 that fixed everything that was wrong with vanilla game.

rohand

Cipher
So does this make it like the first one or is it a different beast altogether?

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
30ykte.jpg

if you want high quality mods and a really good RPG(not a shitty cutscene simulator),then there only one way to go my friend !

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
the family matters mission with this mod is leaving a really bad taste in my mouth. The mission is clearly balanced around the vanilla gameplay, since there is way too many fucking wraiths and you have no preknowledge that they're coming unless you're a repeat player. Ive tried so many fucking times to beat this ive lost count and come close to uninstalling the mod.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Do a quick mod menu modifier to your health or damage etc just to get through that section, I have also found some of the balance a bit wonky, and there is no way in hell I am 'grinding' Witcher combat.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not commenting on this one because I haven't tried it, but it's super rare IMO that rebalance mods feel proper the whole way through. Mod makers don't have a legion of testers like a publisher does.

The way to break the mod and cakewalk through everything (no real immunities I can recall) is to get the bonuses and sets that boost Yrden. The runewords stuff are still quite OP. I did that quest without them though.

There really isn't much grinding that you can do in the mod, everything is almost completely flat. Magic is the only thing that really seemed to scale. Unfortunately you have to spam the specific sign in order to level it, but if you pop off all of your magic at the end of encounters it will level decently. Everything else is a complete PITA to level and not worth it.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The way to break the mod and cakewalk through everything (no real immunities I can recall) is to get the bonuses and sets that boost Yrden. The runewords stuff are still quite OP. I did that quest without them though.

There really isn't much grinding that you can do in the mod, everything is almost completely flat. Magic is the only thing that really seemed to scale. Unfortunately you have to spam the specific sign in order to level it, but if you pop off all of your magic at the end of encounters it will level decently. Everything else is a complete PITA to level and not worth it.
That was actually my concern - how they dealt with the progression curve. The stuff about "a drowner is always a drowner" sure sounds great on paper but what happens when you put 50 or 70 or 100 hours in the game? All those drowners you struggled with in the first few hours - do you mow them down by the dozens now? If yes, that's incredibly boring. And if not....what the fuck is the point then? Where does the progression come from?

If a drowner is always a drowner does it mean you struggle with drowners after 100 hours the same way you did in the beginning? If so then I'm terribly confuse because while I don't know what is RPG I do know what's not - a game without a meaningful character progression.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

That was actually my concern - how they dealt with the progression curve. The stuff about "a drowner is always a drowner" sure sounds great on paper but what happens when you put 50 or 70 or 100 hours in the game? All those drowners you struggled with in the first few hours - do you mow them down by the dozens now? If yes, that's incredibly boring. And if not....what the fuck is the point then? Where does the progression come from?

If a drowner is always a drowner does it mean you struggle with drowners after 100 hours the same way you did in the beginning? If so then I'm terribly confuse because while I don't know what is RPG I do know what's not - a game without a meaningful character progression.

Im not sure what the poster saying there is no progression is talking about. This is how it works: the skills and abilities you use in game progress with use, and then once you progress enough you get a point to spend in talents/traits as you see fit.

The other aspect of progression is organic, e.g you get better at the skills/maneuvers/timing involved like any other action game, and learn what tactics work best for you. I use the fuck out of igni as a crowd control tool for example, because im not even close to mastering how to maneuver in between groups of enemies without getting fucked.

How much you struggle with drowners comes down to your mastery of the mechanics primarily. It is entirely possible to be a highly developed character and then get owned by some drowners because you got lazy or made silly mistakes.

Yes, around the midgame you tend to start mowing down drowners effortlessly. This is not really different from the base game except that you don't randomly run into a level 25 drowner as a level 20 player that can kill you in one hit. In terms of progression everything is similar to vanilla, the only thing lost is the mental comparison of your level to the enemy level to see whether the fight is an automatic cakewalk or impossible.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes, around the midgame you tend to start mowing down drowners effortlessly. This is not really different from the base game

It's VERY different. For example with the Ghost Mode overhaul mod you never really mow drowners or anything else down, you always have to be careful and focus, precisely because they have more HP and damage as you progress the game. (I'm obviously assuming we're talking about Death March here, the only difficulty this game should be played on.)

I get that people don't like the idea of some drowners being lvl 2 and others lvl 15 but EE seems to be trading this suboptimal system for an even worse one - some enemies being no challenge whatsoever after a certain point.

Because that's obviously the reason CDPR introduced levels - to keep the challenge stable throughout the game. Sure it'd be better to create twice as many creatures and swap higher level drowners and nekkers for something unique and more challenging but the EE solution seems worse overall.

It's VERY different. For example with the Ghost Mode overhaul mod you never really mow drowners or anything else down, you always have to be careful and focus, precisely because they have more HP and damage as you progress the game. (I'm obviously assuming we're talking about Death March here, the only difficulty this game should be played on.)

I get that people don't like the idea of some drowners being lvl 2 and others lvl 15 but EE seems to be trading this suboptimal system for an even worse one - some enemies being no challenge whatsoever after a certain point.

Because that's obviously the reason CDPR introduced levels - to keep the challenge stable throughout the game. Sure it'd be better to create twice as many creatures and swap higher level drowners and nekkers for something unique and more challenging but the EE solution seems worse overall.

That's not really how things work. A level 10 drowner vs. a level 10 geralt is no different from a level 1 drowner vs. a level 1 geralt, except that geralt has way more skills in the former case. In EE, a level irrelevant drowner vs. a level irrelevant geralt is the same as both of the prior scenarios, and how many abilities you have is determined by the XP per use system.

The only differences in vanilla came in with level differences, e.g. if the monster was 5 levels above you it took basically -90% damage or something while if you were 5 levels above it the opposite happened. This was really dumb and the point of removing levels. Level 15 drowners in vanilla were still no challenge whatsoever once you reached level 15 (due to all the abilities you've gained by that point), they were merely an awful gating mechanism designed to make it painfully slow and tortuous to slowly hack apart level 15 drowners as a level 10 geralt with 100 attacks req per kill.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's not really how things work. A level 10 drowner vs. a level 10 geralt is no different from a level 1 drowner vs. a level 1 geralt

Dude, we're talking past each other. Stop and listen to what I'm saying - my point is levels keep the challenge stable. The fact that lvl 10 drowner vs lvl 10 Geralt is the same as lvl 1 drowner and lvl1 Geralt IS A GOOD THING. That's what you want if you don't want the game turn into a boring roflstomp fest mid-game on. Am I coming across?

All I'm asking how is EE handling this? Is the challenge stable too and how, without levels? I'm just trying to understand this. My only other option is to play the mod myself but since I finished a 200 hour Ghost Mode playthrough a week ago that won't be an option for a few more years.

That's not really how things work. A level 10 drowner vs. a level 10 geralt is no different from a level 1 drowner vs. a level 1 geralt

Dude, we're talking past each other. Stop and listen to what I'm saying - my point is levels keep the challenge stable. Am I coming across? All I'm asking how is EE handling this? Is the challenge stable too and how, without levels? I'm just trying to understand this. My only other option is to play the mod myself but since I finished a 200 hour Ghost Mode playthrough a week ago that won't be an option for a few more years.

I mean, you're saying that drowners don't become effortless in vanilla? They do, and do exactly the same in EE (though probably less so since its harder in general). As far as it matters every monster is exactly the same level as you at all times. The only lacking challenge is that you can't run across level 15 monsters at level 10 that one hit kill you while you have to spend 20 mins dodging and weaving to slowly whittle them down.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I mean, you're saying that drowners don't become effortless in vanilla? They do

Honestly, I don't remember vanilla difficulty anymore. It's been 4 years. But with Ghost Mode, on Death March difficulty my answer is - no enemy absolutely DOES NOT become effortless at any point of the game. As I said already, you always, ALWAYS have to be on your toes fighting basically anything except basic wolves. Anything can kill you very easily if it's around your level.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haplo, dude, are you gonna just spam disagree emotes or are you gonna contribute here? I've been asking about how EE handles progression and difficulty curve for a few weeks now and I still can't get a straight answer goddamit.

I have no idea how ghost mode plays, apparently it's its own overhaul mod that changes everything. I'm just comparing to vanilla. Yes, absolutely things eventually get trival when you have runeword equipment and high level spells and so on in vanilla. The same mostly happens in EE. I don't think you can ever really just tank and become invincible in EE, most things will always be able to kill you in a few hits if you stand there and take them, but you absolutely get more deadly yourself and you have better crowd control abilities that make enemies easy to dance around. High level Yrden is basically Matrix mode + enemies constantly lose health.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
cvv it would be good if you would actually try EE.

His point is that since Geralt does not do better damage or have better defense through whole game it means every downer is more or less same challenge through whole game.

Your point is that ghost is better because it gives you challenge where EE does not (?).
It is completely other way. Every drowner is threat through whole game while in Ghost and other mods every drowner below your level is joke.

Which is why EE is briliant. There is no such a thing in EE as "well i didn't do that quest at start and now i am overpowered" Sure you improve something but when you go back to quest it is still challange.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have no idea how ghost mode plays, apparently it's its own overhaul mod that changes everything.

It's not nearly as radical as EE, it's basically a perfected vanilla. GM Normal is like vanilla Death March. GM Blood and Broken Bones is very tough. GM Death March is the optimal way to play the game. You have to focus in fights, use all your tools and consumables, gear up properly.

I guess my point is more universal, not just tied to TW3 EE - how do you keep the challenge stable if YOU are getting better while the mobs stay the same. Which is what EE is doing. I'm not trying to diss the mod, I'm just provoking a philosophical, rigorous polemics on a prestigious RPG forum.

You're gonna have to describe the changes ghost mode makes to the enemies to somehow make them harder at higher levels then. Because in vanilla a level 10 geralt vs. a level 10 drowner is the same as a level 1 geralt vs. a level 1 drowner. Do you just want the illusion of progress by having arbitrary numbers appear above enemies that increase throughout the game?

EE is 'flat' in that your starting weapons and armor are basically the best (or nearly the best) you can get in terms of raw stats. It's not like you start with a 50 damage witcher sword and then craft a 500 damage witcher sword 10 hours later and wtfpwn everyone with 10x as much damage. What you gain are in abilities and in finding good enchantments for your equipment.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You're gonna have to describe the changes ghost mode makes to the enemies to somehow make them harder at higher levels then. Because in vanilla a level 10 geralt vs. a level 10 drowner is the same as a level 1 geralt vs. a level 1 drowner. Do you just want the illusion of progress by having arbitrary numbers appear above enemies that increase throughout the game?

What "illusion" of progress? If you always have to focus and bring your A game into any fight, how is it an illusion? For the fourth time - the reason there are levels is to keep mobs growing with Geralt. How is it difficult to understand? If you fix their stats....how do you prevent them from becoming a roflstomp material within the first few hours?

Eh, I'm starting to see I'll have to try the mod myself at some point. Not right now tho. Still quite emotional from my 200 hours all-achievement playthrough, capped by sipping wine with Yen and watching the sun set over my vineyard.

What "illusion" of progress? If you always have to focus and bring your A game into any fight, how is it an illusion? For the fourth time - the reason there are levels is to keep mobs growing with Geralt. How is it difficult to understand? If you fix their stats....how do you prevent them from becoming a roflstomp material within the first few hours?

Eh, I'm starting to see I'll have to try the mod myself at some point. Not right now tho. Still quite emotional from my 200 hours all-achievement playthrough, capped by sipping wine with Yen and watching the sun set over my vineyard.

If we accept that a level 10 geralt vs level 10 drowner is the same as a level 1 geralt vs a level 1 drowner, what's the difference involved with simply having everything stay at level 1?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If we accept that a level 10 geralt vs level 10 drowner is the same as a level 1 geralt vs a level 1 drowner, what's the difference involved with simply having everything stay at level 1?

Because Geralt doesn't stay at level 1? Geralt grows? Geralt progresses? Geralt gets better? Which is the whole point of playing an RPG - you know, grow your character?

And if Geralt grows while the mobs stay the same? What's the math here?

But I'm saying the same shit for like the 5th time now so it's time to stop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom