Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The future of Crowdfunding

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I couldn't believe it when I read about Phoenix Point. A game that was fully Crowdfunded, the developers made the decision to throw their fans and backers under the bus. Those backers gave them money for a Steam and GOG release, which never came. Now it has happened again with Outer Wilds. 968 backers, gave the developers 126,480$. They took that money, created their game with those funds, and then threw their backers under the bus when Epic Game Store came with a bribe.

We're backing games, supporting them for years, and there is a chance that we won't be able to play the game on the platform that was promised. If it wasn't for the backers, these games wouldn't have been developed, yet this is what happens at the finish line. I can't speak for others, but I'm not going to fund any new projects, because I fear this will happen again.

What is your opinion on this?

Doktor Best

Arcane
epic store bad
based Gaben DRM good
:npc:

people already have steam, cuckstar social club, uplay, origin, facebook, blizzard something, just install that another drm, what's the difference

Are you actually too fucking dense to get the argument?

He was arguing that future crowdfunding projects could be in danger because sellouts like those devs he mentioned are breaking the promises they made in the pitch because some rancid slimeball rang their doorbell with a bag of money. If you support someone and that someone then proceeds to fuck you over as soon as he doesnt need your support anymore, you are likely to lose trust in the whole process. You know like in politics or in your failed marriage.

So please tell me if you need me to elaborate further. I have high patience with mentally handicapped people.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
sellouts like those devs he mentioned are breaking the promises
1) Oh god, broken promises in crowdfunding, that never happened before.

2) Moving to another PC-platform is not a broken promise. The promise is to deliver a product. A different PC-platform is only a broken promise for self-entitled snowflakes with "stronk gamer-political opinions".

Last edited:

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
sellouts like those devs he mentioned are breaking the promises
1) Oh god, broken promises in crowdfunding, that never happened before.

2) Moving to another PC-platform is not a broken promise. The promise is to deliver a product. A different PC-platform is only a broken promise for self-entitled snowflakes with "stronk political opinions".

In the case of Phoenix Point, they promised that it would be on both GOG and Steam. Outer Wilds said Steam and Linux.

You mention that broken promises has always been a thing in Crowdfunders. I don't disagree with this, but find me a case where they did go back on their platforms (we're not talking consoles here), or where you have to wait an entire year to play it on a platform that was promised. In both the case of Phoenix Point and Outer Wilds, the backers were promised STEAM KEYS.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They were promised a game. Stop being a poseur "gamer" for a change and try being an adult.

Your whining would never stand in a court of law and this is a good litmus test for how "valid" your whining is.

"They promised us they'd deliver goods by truck, but delivered by plane. BECAUSE OF THIS DECEPTION, I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS SHIPMENT." -> Fuck off, retard.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
They were promised a game. Stop being a poseur "gamer" for a change and try being an adult.

Your whining would never stand in a court of law and this is a good litmus test for how "valid" your whining is.

Backers did not give their money for a Epic Store exclusive. It's like paying for a McDonalds and getting a Burgerking, or supporting a car dealer that sells Toyota, who changes to selling Ford. People want it on STEAM, they do not want it on the Epic Game Store. The people who backed for a copy on steam, will have to wait an entire year.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Crowdfunding for smaller games will remain where it is right now, there are always new people with money to blow on nice fantasies, and some of those work out fine. The days of massive projects are probably over, at least until the next *famous* developer is willing to cash in his accumulated goodwill and ready to burn it all too give a new generation a lesson on the realities of game-making

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
my opinion is that i dont give a shit. The game is either good enough to buy or it isnt. The price is either right or it isnt. I dont fucking care about "platforms" as long as they're not obnoxious to use/install.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
my opinion is that i dont give a shit. The game is either good enough to buy or it isnt. The price is either right or it isnt. I dont fucking care about "platforms" as long as they're not obnoxious to use/install.

So it doesn't matter to you that Epic Game Store is an inferior platform with less features? You're completely fine with buying a game on an inferior platform, where you don't have your other games.

ultra loser

Scholar
"Steam release" is just a synonym for "PC release" now because of zoomers who don't remember times before steam existed. A new store opened and if they want to sell there instead of on steam that's their decision. And it's just timed exclusivity.
It's a shit game anyway, nothing good ever came of kikestarters, stop backing all of that shit you sheeple.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

So it doesn't matter to you that Epic Game Store is an inferior platform with less features? You're completely fine with buying a game on an inferior platform, where you don't have your other games.
Some people play games. Others play launchers.

Mark Richard

Arcane
We're backing games, supporting them for years, and there is a chance that we won't be able to play the game on the platform that was promised. If it wasn't for the backers, these games wouldn't have been developed, yet this is what happens at the finish line. I can't speak for others, but I'm not going to fund any new projects, because I fear this will happen again.
This is the growing danger. Normally a game going Epic exclusive will rattle consumer confidence in the publisher, but when a crowdfunded game goes Epic exclusive, the whole platform's reputation suffers too. Crowdfunded projects rely heavily on trust, and every time they abuse it they risk poisoning the well for everyone else.

Having said that, the developer of Phoenix Point openly admitted they went Epic exclusive to secure long-term jobs post-release. I don't know the circumstances behind Outer Wilds. Maybe the game really needed the cash infusion or it was never going to see release in the first place.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
nothing good ever came of kickstarters, stop backing all of that shit you sheeple.

FTL
Expeditions: Conquistador
Shovel Knight
Lords of Xulima
Legends of Eisenwald
Odallus: The Dark Call
Grim Dawn
Hyper Light Drifter
Hollow Knight
Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Wunderbar

Arcane
nothing good ever came of kickstarters, stop backing all of that shit you sheeple.

FTL
Expeditions: Conquistador
Shovel Knight
Lords of Xulima
Legends of Eisenwald
Odallus: The Dark Call
Grim Dawn
Hyper Light Drifter
Hollow Knight
Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Divinity Original Sin
Banner's Saga
Pillars of Eternity :smug:

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

why the fuck would i give a shit about not having other games on there or about the "features"? I dont use steam to socialize or collect virtual trading cards and write reviews no one will read like all the fucking NEETs and dullards do, so why would i give a shit about that crap? I buy games to PLAY the GAMES. Some of my games are on GOG, some are on steam, some are on steam but in actuality are on the ubisoft platform, and some of my best games are in CD-ROMs in mistreated jewel cases in a dusty old box probably with some kind of arachnid living there rent free.

you know what the last "platform" i used to buy a game was? a .com in google chrome browser. Nobody cares about launchers as long as they dont make themselves into a problem to use, and anyone who pretends to care about "features" of said launcher is either lying or needs to get a hole in their life.

Dexter

Arcane
What is your opinion on this?
Back trustworthy developers. Stay away from trash platforms like "Fig" or Literally Who's.

I backed like two dozen Crowdfunding campaigns and the only disappointment with a few of them was the quality of the end product, not whether it was released or whether they delivered what was promised. Just stay away from obvious scams or suspect individuals.

Voltigeur

Novice
Just don't buy games, simple as.
Has never been easier to get them for free.

And people who actually spend money on games that are not even made yet are just hopelessly retarded.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

"They promised us they'd deliver goods by truck, but delivered by plane. BECAUSE OF THIS DECEPTION, I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS SHIPMENT." -> Fuck off, retard.

You walk into a restaurant and order a fine steak (as advertised on their menu). By sheer chance you get to watch as the chef exists the restaurant, enters the supermarket across the street, comes out with that ultra-cheap "Beef-flavored TV Dinner" you're all-too familiar with, rips it out of its packaging and proceeds to heat up that pathetic piece of beef that's inside of it, dress it up with some salad and then serve the steak to you on their plate.*

By your reasoning, since they never promised not to do this, they're perfectly fine to do it and you're a baby for whining about it.

(Except, of course, they did promise to deliver it in a certain manner in the original argument, a fact you've conveniently ignored by this point.)

A similar argument: A new bar opens and they advertise a "First drink is free!"-offer on opening night. As the advertisement doesn't state anything further, you dress up in your best suit and tails (and tracksuit stripes) and head down to the bar. Upon arrival you spot a large "No Vatniks" sign at the door.

By your reasoning, since they never promised not to bar you entry, they're perfectly fine to do so and it's pointless for you to get mad.

Also, your analogy of shipping by plane instead of truck is false as that would be a benefit to the customer, which never happens as we all know.

I'm perfectly fine with people disagreeing on this topic, but would it hurt to present your argument in a sensible manner?

*This is what Icelandic restaurants are doing to feed the tourists nowadays. The fancier it is, the more common the practice. Fortunately the worst offenders are starting to go out of business.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

You walk into a restaurant and order a fine steak (as advertised on their menu). By sheer chance you get to watch as the chef exists the restaurant, enters the supermarket across the street, comes out with that ultra-cheap "Beef-flavored TV Dinner" you're all-too familiar with, rips it out of its packaging and proceeds to heat up that pathetic piece of beef that's inside of it, dress it up with some salad and then serve the steak to you on their plate.*

By your reasoning, since they never promised not to do this, they're perfectly fine to do it and you're a baby for whining about it.

(Except, of course, they did promise to deliver it in a certain manner in the original argument, a fact you've conveniently ignored by this point.)

A similar argument: A new bar opens and they advertise a "First drink is free!"-offer on opening night. As the advertisement doesn't state anything further, you dress up in your best suit and tails (and tracksuit stripes) and head down to the bar. Upon arrival you spot a large "No Vatniks" sign at the door.

By your reasoning, since they never promised not to bar you entry, they're perfectly fine to do so and it's pointless for you to get mad.

Also, your analogy of shipping by plane instead of truck is false as that would be a benefit to the customer, which never happens as we all know.

I'm perfectly fine with people disagreeing on this topic, but would it hurt to present your argument in a sensible manner?

*This is what Icelandic restaurants are doing to feed the tourists nowadays. The fancier it is, the more common the practice. Fortunately the worst offenders are starting to go out of business.

your whole gay analogy falls apart, because in this instance the "beef" is exactly the same as it always was, the only thing that is being changed is who is serving it to you. I bet you thought that was really clever when you were typing it all out too, fucking dumb dork.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Did you miss the "fine steak (as advertised on their menu)" part of my text?

Looks that way... but then again it looks like you miss a great deal of things.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
A better analogy would be that you reserve a seat in restaurant A, but when you arrive they move you to a shitty, cheap restaurant around the corner because restaurant A is full. They bring a dish made in restaurant A, but your surroundings are utterly crappy and you still have to pay the same price.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom