Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The future of Crowdfunding

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Did you miss the "fine steak (as advertised on their menu)" part of my text?

Looks that way... but then again it looks like you miss a great deal of things.

I didnt miss anything, you're just a dumb dork who was trying too hard to look clever. Im now having to explain to you how your own analogy works.

the PRODUCT, the "fine steak" in this instance, is the GAME. Which is exactly the same as it always was the only thing that has changed is who is delivering the product to you. The beef is the same and the chef cooking the beef is exactly the same. For your dumb analogy to work, what would happen is the game sucks i.e you get served fried chuck or a chicken breast or whatever the fuck. What has actually changed, vis a vis your stupid analogy, is the restaurant it is being served in, like the much better analogy Grauken just provided.

Silentstorm

Learned
To be fair, going to Epic does screw over Linux users since Epic does not seem to give a fuck about Linux and it feels like users will really have to wait a while for daring to choose to not use Windows.

Also, a lot of Steam features like user reviews and forums are appreciated by people, there is a reason why people complain about Epic not having as many features as Steam, and it's because, maybe, i don't know, just maybe, many people actually use and appreciate those features and while some people won't miss them, there are those who will?

Oh, and less payment options which screws over third world countries or ones where there isn't a culture of using credit cards or Paypal to buy stuff online, for example, Japan, sure, Japan isn't the biggest PC gaming market by any means, but they tend to use Kiosks and Steam Cards to buy games on Steam, and again, while it isn't the country with the most PC gamers, i have seen reviews from japanese gamers, comments and screenshots in quite a few games so it's still a market.

Just one country that Epic doesn't necessarily appeal to because of it's payment options, i think Steam even has exclusive payment options for different countries just to help gamers pay for games, it's hard to believe, but to many people, not even necessarily poor people, using credit cards or Paypal is a big hassle or just not something they normally do, and Steam appeals to them in a way that Epic doesn't.

To many people, yes, Epic store is just a matter of changing launchers, but let's not pretend it's just a matter of doing that for every player, Linux users are screwed, countries like China and Iran apparently can't even use Epic Games Store and they have less payment options.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I wouldn't worry about Epic too much, the Fortnite money will run out at one point, their client is shit and even if they manage to get to some resemblance of parity with steam features, there's sill nothing unique about it (larger cut for devs is not a feature for the majority of game buyers) with a decidedly smaller library

And then in 3 years another competitor will turn up and the news will be all the same Finally, a steam competitor, no, this has never happened before, what are you talking about

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
While the Steam cultism turns me off, if you promise something to backers you need to deliver. It's definitely a shitshow that they're not doing it, and a betrayal. I'm sure the fine print covers them, but it's definitely gonna turn off the Gaben and GOG cult members in future funding campaigns. What percentage of PC gamers do those people make up? I have no idea, but probably a lot in Steam's case.

I would guess you'll see a lot of campaigns write a few sentences about how they "REALLY SWEAR" you'll get a Steam code day one from now on.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
itt: people are trying to have a serious conversation with a cretin, an ultra loser and a vatnik

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
that's a good cross-section of the codex, we only miss the libertarian and the religious nut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom