Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

mercyRPG

Cipher
Today.. after my belt snapped right in two just when I jumped off the edge of the bathtub .. I decided to do something useful with my life and

I started a Total Conversion Grimoire MOD...
DRUMrOLL... entitled:

UC0G6GE.png

It will the most CopyrightFussically control-Versial MOD like EVAR!!!

Ensi

Educated
new player here, so I'm guessing I shouldn't be putting a lot of points into hand to hand combat cuz my 2d6/3d6/whatever damage I'm getting based on race won't be good for that long? I'm in the beginning couple areas.

also do I need to recruit NPCs? I tried Rosy out but I'd rather have my own people even if they're not as strong, at least I assume for a while. Or am I gonna get wrecked eventually without NPCs?

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Try this:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Beginners_Guide

Hand-to-hand is definitely worth it if you have a Naga, especially if he is an Assassin. Drakes, Giants and Saurians are pretty good unarmed too:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Races#Damage_of_Unarmed_Attacks_by_Race

To clarify: Nagas have naturally a lot of speed, which will give you more and more attacks per round. The Assassin has some additional skills for unarmed combat.

You don't need to recruit NPC's. Some of them are stronger than your party for a while, but they cannot change classes. Also, you can recruit an NPC and later get your original character back.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, looks like it's gone. I still have the files to put them up somewhere else. Any suggestions? The Steam guides area might be one place.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Damn there was a ton of useful info there. Didn't see that one coming.

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
With the latest update you can roll 48 points when creating a character and immediately unlock the assassin-class, right?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yep.

NUMBER OF POINTS YOU NEED TO ROLL FOR A SPECIFIC RACE/CLASS COMBINATION:

(ANY) means that even the lowest number you roll will let you pick that class with that race.

(NONE) means that even with the highest possible roll (48 points), you do not have enough points for that combination.

http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Classes

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Some tips for rolling a party? Waited on this for the V2+manual and ready to dive in now but since I have limited playtime I don't wanna fuck it up on char creation.

Gunnar

Arbiter
You don't want to wait for V3? Coming any day now :)
Take an eyeball sage and wolfin or barrower thaumaturge for casters. Giant and Drake Metalsmiths are good starting fighters, you can turn them into other fighter types down the line. There are a lot of good swords in the game.

Dorateen

Arcane
Some tips for rolling a party?

Rangers, Berserkers and Metalsmiths are fighters that have the Lethal Blow skill, so take some of those.

Sage is invaluable in the early game for detecting secrets and identifying, and has a pretty good spell book for healing and remedying afflictions.

Bard is a must if you want to have an edge against the monsters. But you need to build up his music skill before it gets very effective.

GandGolf

Augur
What would be a good value to set max vitality at? Originally I set all my party members to 25, but then I was unable to do any damage with my hits.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
A few things I've noticed.

-My lion's roar ability never affects anything, it seems quite useless
-Same with my Aeorb's mind flay ability
-I made a naga assassin as suggested by the manual and it is doing really well that I'm not equipping it with a weapon and just doing hand to hand. I get access to power strike, coil, and bite attacks this way in combat. How do these work? It seems like bite is working the most reliably so far in terms of hitting and damaging, as well inflicting poison, but this was all through experimentation since there appears to be no description anywhere telling me about what these things do.
-I have two locksmith keys and a common gate key or somethign like that, that I picked up early game. They don't open anything and seem pretty useless.
-I've explored everything in crowl except vanguard locked doors, the museum of magic, and the cathedral building. I've also explored 100% briarpatch and shrine of the raptor, and now am in the middle of Aquavia, and at this point my characters are reaching level 5. I have not purposely been grinding for anything, but I have 120% exp because of no journal hints and I have the 3/4 random encounter frequency setting. The manual suggested in a few places that level 10 is going to be around the height of characters due to increasing experience costs, and I'm basically in the starting areas and half of the implied "end game levels" already. I'm concerned about the level scaling for the game at this point as a result. Does anyone know of this concern and can address it?

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
There is no level scaling. The EXP cost for higher levels goes up a lot, so that if you want to multiclass the best levels are 7 or 8, if I remember correctly.

Also note that it is best to switch class shortly before you level up in your current class, because you switch to Level 1 of the new class right away, but still need to reach the next level EXP of your previous class to get to Level 2.

The common gate key and locksmith key can open the doors with riddles in Crowl and Kublai Axis. If you have two strong characters you can also force open them by running into the door twice.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
By level scaling I'm saying that I'm concerned that at such an early point in the game and me being at level 4-5 across the board, I'm concerned that I'm going to become overleveled and trivialize everything as the game continues.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Don't worry, you have seen nothing yet.

The high EXP at higher levels means that you won't be leveling up that fast after the first 6-7 levels.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
oh god this beast locked in the vanguard warehouse slaughtered half my party and my Aeorb is immune to Caduceus of Life resurrections. Are there other ways of bringing him back to life?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Never mind I was able to buy Raise Dead scrolls in Crowl and that worked where resurrection didn't. I also got a spellbook of raise dead that I am currently unsuccessful at scribing, but it's there as the plan for being able to raise my Aeorb in the future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom