Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age - now on Steam

Based on the last 2 entries I expect:
- PC protagonist design that pleases no one
- Button mashy combat with damage sponge enemies
- Megalomaniac environments
- An inane npc level system where you can be brought low by a pack of higher level chickens
- A map littered with thousands of POIs where over 90% are meaningless crap for grinders/ocders/autists and no easy way to spot the few quests/missions actually made by a human being
- You will end up clearing a lot of christian forts for the XP required to proceed with the main quest
- Final DLC takes you to new duat/elysium/valhalla

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jade_raymond.jpg
Jade_Raymond_Blue_Dress_Assassins_Creed-720x606.jpg
MSlMhYA.jpg
jadesnow.jpg

B0SRff-CQAAKXoJ.jpg
jaderaymond.jpg

Last edited:
I think some people in here are confused and offended that a company might use an attractive executive who clearly takes care of themselves and is relatively personable to try and sell their product. It's a really unique concept, I know, but keep trying guys! You'll figure it out!

Modron

Arcane
I think some people in here are confused and offended that a company might use an attractive executive who clearly takes care of themselves and is relatively personable to try and sell their product. It's a really unique concept, I know, but keep trying guys! You'll figure it out!
nah that was so early to mid 2000s now we use funny looking men in dresses with danger hair and cucks in lumberjack shirts and horn rimmed glasses to market stuff.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Jade Raymond, an actual woman, used to promote a videogame in 2007:
jade-raymond.gif

Kassandra, a fictional character that could have looked like absolutely anything, used to promote a videogame in 2018:
kassandra-buff.gif

In all seriousness, I fired up Odyssey again recently after giving up on it and all it did is remind me how awful the recent games are. It's honestly my fault, because I somehow thought when Ubisoft said they were switching up their previous tired formula it meant they were replacing it with something that wasn't about 10x worse.
Put aside whatever dumb shit can be said about injecting modern PC sensitivity into Ancient Greece, the game is a slog and mindnumbingly boring. I'm playing on Hard which just means that a dog attacking me out in the countryside takes thirty hits to kill while I roll around it in circles. All loot is leveled and includes fun-inducing perks like "+2% dagger damage" which is extremely helpful for enemies with tens of thousands of hitpoints, and finding some of that interesting loot at the bottom of a generic cavern for the twentieth time really rewards exploration. Most of the quests you find out in the world involve talking to one person, finding another, and then killing one of them - and sometimes the killing part doesn't even make its way into things. It's ostensibly an RPG except when you level up your only choices are to invest in flavors of combat skills and your only choice of character is how much of a saucy Mediterranean bitch you want to be to the people you'll do quests for anyway. There's some sort of Peloponnesian War going on but it doesn't affect anything so go ahead and pick a side based on your opinion on helots or something because it won't matter.

The game is beautiful and obviously required a thousand monkeys at typewriters/coding stations to piece it together. If you poke around it is kind of an alright "explore Hellas" simulator but there is nothing interesting going on anywhere.

I think I'm about done with Western-made AAA games.

Drakron

Arcane
Its in a way funny how until Origins the cities were packed with people and crowds actually looked half-natural and that was part of what made AssCreed stand out due to their crowd mechanics ...

... now its like every fucking open world RPG ... I would say its pretty but its soulless and there is nothing to make it stand up from other open world RPGs, just generic with half-assed "crowds".

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like the gameplay of Ass Creed and Ubisoft games in theory.

But the design of the worlds is just so mind-numbingly boring. Here, have the exact same quest/activity copypasted 500 times!!
And it only got worse once they introduced heavy RPG elements into the games, because now enemies have levels and those of higher levels have more HP!!! How exciting!!!! The difference between a level 1 enemy and a level 10 enemy is the amount of hits it takes me to kill them! HP bloat, what fun!

Fuck this shit. It's a shame because the general gameplay loop of Ubisoft open world games could be tremendous amounts of fun, if you cut out about 80% of the shitty filler.
Older Assassins Creed and Far Cry games have the same problem, but at least without the HP bloat. Quests/activities involving stealth or combat are fun, but half of the available quests/activities placed on the map involve boring shit like collecting useless items, racing against the clock, etc etc. Does anyone even enjoy those lame filler activities?

Modron

Arcane
Yeah increasing entries into the series got less interesting, puzzle/racing dungeons disappeared entirely, free running got more brain dead, climbing got less nuanced as the hook lunge and holding a button to extend arms and catch nearby ledges was removed, in asscreed 2 and its sequels the collectables were less of a chore because you got periodic rewards for collecting x several of which were quite useful, stealth got more boring as well in sequels with no blending into crowds, target specific assassinations were removed, no recruitable harlots/mercs/assassin recruits/et cetera to distract guards and also getting rid of the those factions got rid of some progression you could work on because they had ability unlock rewards for completing challenges. Cities got duller with decreasing ways to free run about them, races after couriers/time trials were removed, they thought less about the up down scaling of cities and went as far as to give you a grappling gun in one game and then even further in minimizing the vertical axis use in the latest games and making you immune to fall damage so you can just jump off wherever you want no need to think or plan.

Really the series has been marked by that Bethesda school of sequel design reduction, oh and the games got less edutainment with their collectables and locations in game as well. If remotely interested in the series play 2 and its sequels than maybe 3 and 4 if you liked that and forget the rest. Caveat being I have not played Origin.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Why do all these white people hating companies keep doing Viking games anyway? Just a do Somali teepee village simulator and be done with it. Just make sure you code in hyperinflation and Ebola.

Modron

Arcane
Pretty sure late in development of Odyssey they shaded every skin texture darker, if you look at the cultist menu and ship lieutenants icons they are all lighter skinned but in game it's all dark olive complexion or darker.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Because I know you all deeply care the Viking Assassin's Creed will get revealed today via Livestream

This time with even more RPG stuff according to leaks including companions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So far I bought every single AC game. Usually at -70% off or more but still. After Odyssey I decided to stop that. If they gonna continue with those weak, limp wristed RPG-lite copies of W3 then fuck them.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The only ass creed game I've played was Unity and I had fun with it. To my surprise I enjoyed the music and story the most.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom