Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Exhuminator

Arcane
I tried to find a broad JRPG topic like this, but couldn't find it. So either it doesn't exist, or I'm a fucktard who can't use the search system properly.

Anyway the idea of this thread is to simply mention whatever JRPG you're currently playing, and throw a few thoughts about the experience out there with it.

-----

Luminous_Arc_Coverart.jpg

So I'm currently playing Luminous Arc, a 2007 J-SRPG on the DS. This was Imageepoch's first game. (Anybody remember Imageepoch's "We're gonna be the savoir of the JRPG!" meme?) So far Luminous Arc's a pretty good Tactics Ogre /Final Fantasy Tactics clone. It brings sexy waifus into the mix for spice, and offers town shopping between missions (albeit menu-based towns). The missions are pretty short due to being made for a portable, and as such progress is a snappy affair. I'm currently on chapter 9 of 25. I find the game design fairly addictive at this point, although the challenge thus far has been minimal.

Deleted Member 16721

i'm currently playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. Started off really enjoying it but the story is sort of a let-down at this point, just not enough interesting stuff going on in it. Which is weird as I usually prioritize gameplay over story, but in a game like this the story is important since it's the only thing you're really doing between battles and customizing your characters. So I might still continue playing awhile but I do like the game, just wish there was more juicy stuff going on in the story to make it more interesting. Maybe it gets better later on...

Falksi

Arcane
Tales of Berseria. Absolutely brilliantly paced, lush JRPG fun. Very clever well balanced mix of main cut-scenes, optional conversations & typical NPC conversations.

Combat is a bit of a nonsense, but it's still fun & serviceable.

Had really bad farts all night whilst playing it though.

Mustawd

Playing Bravely Default on 3DS.

-There are way too many cutscenes. Sometimes a play session will be anywhere from 50-80% cutscenes, depending on exactly when you decide to play.

-Classes are interchangeable between characters. You get “jobs” as you beat bosses and you can assign any job to any character. Theoretically you could have 4 black mages at the same time.

Still haven’t decided if I like it. It definitely makes party builds fun, but it kinda kills the uniqueness of classes and makes char development feel...off.

-Voice acting is well done. Art is nice. Graphics are nice for a 3DS game

-The combat is interesting so far. You can save action points or take a few actions in advance of other turns. Same with your enemies.

Kaivokz

Arcane

So I'm currently playing Luminous Arc, a 2007 J-SRPG on the DS. This was Imageepoch's first game. (Anybody remember Imageepoch's "We're gonna be the savoir of the JRPG!" meme?) So far Luminous Arc's a pretty good Tactics Ogre /Final Fantasy Tactics clone. It brings sexy waifus into the mix for spice, and offers town shopping between missions (albeit menu-based towns). The missions are pretty short due to being made for a portable, and as such progress is a snappy affair. I'm currently on chapter 9 of 25. I find the game design fairly addictive at this point, although the challenge thus far has been minimal.

The second is one of my girlfriend's favorite games. I've been meaning to play them for awhile.

Tales of Berseria. Absolutely brilliantly paced, lush JRPG fun. Very clever well balanced mix of main cut-scenes, optional conversations & typical NPC conversations.

While I wait for trails of cold steel 2 to be released on PS4, I've been considering starting up a tales game, but I'm not sure which. I own Berseria, Symphonia, and the Vesperia remake for switch. Maybe I'll boot up Berseria.
I've played Phantasia, Destiny (the first one), Abyss, and Zestiria. Destiny was probably my favorite of those, the sentient weapons and setting are the main things I remember though. The combat system was probably more fresh in 1997.

Exhuminator

Arcane
The second is one of my girlfriend's favorite games. I've been meaning to play them for awhile.
Yeah it's too bad the third one never got localized. Maybe someday a fan translation team will release an English patch for it though. (I remember some folks were working on one back in 2016 at least.)

Falksi

Arcane

While I wait for trails of cold steel 2 to be released on PS4, I've been considering starting up a tales game, but I'm not sure which. I own Berseria, Symphonia, and the Vesperia remake for switch. Maybe I'll boot up Berseria.
I've played Phantasia, Destiny (the first one), Abyss, and Zestiria. Destiny was probably my favorite of those, the sentient weapons and setting are the main things I remember though. The combat system was probably more fresh in 1997.

I the only other one I've played is Vesperia and I hated that. It's nowhere near as finely tuned, fun, or interesting as Berseria. But if you enjoyed those 4 then you might like it. I'd suggest trying Vesperia first, as I'm not sure you'd be able to go to Berseria then go back to Vesperia after. There's only a few differences between the games, but those differences are very key & make the game feel paced very differently.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Final Fantasy 1 on NES. Rocking Fighter, Black Belt, Black Mage and White Mage party. Just finished the Marsh Cave.

Not as endearing as Dragon Quest II for some reason, but still pretty fun.

I think I played some of Origins aeons ago but decided to buckle up and take it on, and it's part of my overall near-term goal of completing the 87-88 classic JRPGs that were released very close to each other (Megami Tensei 1, Dragon Quest III, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star).

Doktor Best

Arcane
Dragon Quest 4 on NES. The campaign design which switches protagonist each chapter and the fact that you lose control over the rest of your party in the last chapter are kind of a letdown. The controls are also dated and the fact that the game shoves the statbar in your face as soon as you stand still for more than 1.2 seconds, gluttering half of the screen and causing severe input lag, is infuriating. Otherwise, while it is my least favorite Dragon Quest game, there is still fun to be had.

Falksi

Arcane
I love JRPG's, but every DRagon Quest game I've played has beena real drag. Nor bad games, just a really ponderous, slow affair.

Kaivokz

Arcane

Suicidal

Arcane
Playing Nocturne for the first time right now and it's pretty great.

To those who don't know: it's a dungeon crawler where instead of making your party you play as a demon summoner who can make every trash mob in the game his servant so you assemble a party of trash mobs to fight other stuff. Kind of like an edgy version of Pokemon, but with actual gameplay and RPG mechanics.

Combat and party management require a bit more thought than a typical RPG and they're fun and interesting. Story is minimal and so far pretty uninteresting (although the premise of the game is pretty cool) but I don't care, I'm just here to kill shit.

Not sure if I like the mechanic of gaining/losing turns upon critting/missing/getting critted/evading because it means you can get extra fucked by RNG in certain situations.

Hate how you can get into random encounters literally fucking everywhere - even when running between shops in a town. Also hate the moronic camera and tank controls during exploration and how instead of having normal descriptive spell names the spells are all nonsense gibberish made up words like HALABALOO or ABRACABADRA so I have to play with a skill list open because I can't remember what all of that shit means and through the miracle of bad design decisions spell descriptions are not accessible during certain moments in the game where you really need them, like when summoning a new demon and deciding if his SHARALABAMO skill is more useful than the MUBOBOBO skill of the one you're sacrificing.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it a lot.

cosmicray

Savant
Not sure if I like the mechanic of gaining/losing turns upon critting/missing/getting critted/evading because it means you can get extra fucked by RNG in certain situations.
Oh, you will be fucked alright. And you'll love it.

As for me. I really tried to like FF13:LR, but just couldn't get into. Sure, I finished first city/act, but while the time-limit mechanic is good on paper, it's a nightmare to actually play. If you miss some event then you'll just be running doing nothing to end the day. Time is enough and not enough. With lots of running you have to do in a game you are could waste many in-game hours just to find something.
Combat is also a bit getting used to. It's action realtime, but you have to constantly be aware of stamina, which could be wasted really quickly. And timing is everything. Attacks, blocks. Plus you need to stagger enemies to get anywhere. Again, it's interesting on paper, but could be quite unfun.

Presentation is crap. Dialogues are crap. Although customisation for costumes is great. And one of the reason to continue playing.
Also, I'm playing on Linux via SteamProton. Plus the game itself is a port, which makes everything crappier.

cosmicray

Savant
Yeah. There's an encounter probability. It is low in "towns", but you can still easily encounter demons. (almost everyone is a demon anyway)

Vorark

Erudite
Having just beaten DQ9, which was a slog the entire time, I’m hoping I’m inoculated against that. But you never know.

You played one of the weakest DQs, it probably only loses to the very first game. DQ IX is horrible, lacks any charm, is slow both in terms of plot and gameplay, has poor vignettes and overall is a just a very watered down DQ III wannabe. Was a technical mess too, if you had a party of four character it would lag when exploring the dungeons.

Anyway, DQ V and VI (the DS remakes) are better entries. DQ III (SNES or GBC versions) would be fine too, but might remind you a bit of IX since you create your own party.

Vorark

Erudite
but might remind you a bit of IX since you create your own party.

Creating my own party is fine. It’s the fact that I used the same attacks in 99/100 fights that really mattered.

Ah, gotcha. Well, DQ combat is usually a case of buff your party, debuff your enemies and go to town. I like the games due to the lovely little stories (the vignettes).

Puukko

Arcane
Also hate the moronic camera and tank controls during exploration and how instead of having normal descriptive spell names the spells are all nonsense gibberish made up words like HALABALOO or ABRACABADRA so I have to play with a skill list open because I can't remember what all of that shit means and through the miracle of bad design decisions spell descriptions are not accessible during certain moments in the game where you really need them, like when summoning a new demon and deciding if his SHARALABAMO skill is more useful than the MUBOBOBO skill of the one you're sacrificing.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it a lot.
The skill names will become second nature as you play more of these games. When I see "Maziodyne" or "Sukunda" I don't have to think twice about what those names mean anymore. Ma for many, zio for electricity, dyne for the strongest regular variant of that spell. Suku refers to accuracy, with -nda being the debuff and -kaja being the buff version. And so on and so forth.

Tied to this, I just finished SMTIV - or I should say I am done with it, as there's plenty of optional bosses left that I won't beat for reasons I'll get to shortly. IV is the 2013 entry on the 3DS and therein lied my first concern that proved to be somewhat exaggerated but not entirely unfounded. With handhelds, come limitations, and lots of them. I was concerned with not being able to get into the game due to everything being scaled down, which I find generally to be a far bigger barrier to entry than old age. In the end, dealing with the controls and menus was easy, but navigating the world may have been the most difficult boss. The majority of the game takes place in fucked-up Tokyo as is typical for the series, but it is even more broken-up than in Nocturne and and absolute bitch to find your way around sometimes, to the point where I had to consult walkthroughs constantly to find my way back to places I had already visited multiple times before. The world map has no names on it and even once you start to remember the names themselves, it can still be difficult to find that one guy in Ueno. Is he in the overworld area, or inside the district itself, which then can have 4 sub areas with their own buildings? Even with the help of guides, I sometimes found myself running loops around parts of town, avoiding mobs that hunt you down like no tomorrow, as well as poison pools. By far the most frustrating part of the game.

I'll move on to the good though, because there's plenty of it. Combat is the usual PTB system with the addition of smirking, which causes you to sometimes deal more damage after a successful null or crit, placing even more emphasis on playing around weaknesses to maximise the amount of turns you get while minimizing the enemy's. I'm largely ambivalent on this addition, but apparently it got tweaked in Apocalypse, which I'll be playing next, along with other combat improvements. Moving on to the demons, the compendium is huge, with well over twice the demons compared to Nocturne, maybe even triple. The designs were lifted from practically all eras of the series and there were a lot that were entirely new to me. A number of new designs for old demons were introduced, some by guest artists, but none stood out to me as particularly good. I much preferred to old archangels, for example. Sprites were low in resolution, and a lot of the artwork depicted in game had this bad shading that looked like the type used in 2005 Deviantart OCs. It is a shame, as the designs don't get to shine like this.

The mainline is not known for its strength in the story front, but I found IV's to be enjoyable. Your teammates appeared like reasonable young adults, each representing an alignment as per usual, while understanding each other despite their differences. The clash of cultures was likewise interesting to follow and the twists weren't bad either. I went with the neutral route due to it not only being the most appealing, but also having the most content by far. You get to beat both final bosses and their dungeons, but before that, the flow of the game is brought to a screeching halt as you're forced to finish an arbitrary list of side quests that you really don't even know which ones are necessary or how to get them - anyone who completes this part without a walkthrough gets mad props from me. Unfortunately, the game has a bit of an issue with its difficulty, or rather its consistency. The first dungeon is the hardest one, as you are still learning the ropes and have very limited ways to deal with enemies, who happen to hit hard, which never really stops, so you'd better get that preemptive hit in and wipe em out before your turn ends. The first two proper bosses are brutal, each requiring me a good dozen or so attempts, but afterwards the difficulty takes a dive and stays middling for the rest of the game. I applaud the series for not falling into the hp bloat trap for bosses, but some felt like they could have used a fair bit more hp, and even the final bosses of the main story were relatively easy. Sure, I lost a couple demons, but I don't think final bosses should be beatable going in blind with suboptimal teams.

That is not to say this game doesn't have difficult bosses - it has several brutal ones, but they're optional or DLC. I didn't bother with the fiends, as getting them to spawn requires the highly satisfying and not at all boring process of checking a room, reloading if no boss, for approximately 256 times per boss for a total of almost 10 bosses. It's a shame because the loot is good and you can fuse them afterwards, but even with emulator speedups, I'm not going to deal with that shit. There's also the DLC bosses which get increasingly bullshit. I beat the first 5, Michael and Ancient of Days requiring some real party changes and no small bit of luck. Masakado, the ultimate boss, gets healed by everything, so you have to construct an entire party around this on top of having a time restriction, so I decided to just stop there. These bosses also follow the rule of chimping out if you do patterns they don't like, or have too many nulls in your party.

The best part of the game was likely the soundtrack which I had gone through before even starting the game. I'll let this regular battle theme speak for itself:

So there you have it. A good game bogged down by some questionable design decisions and the limitations of handhelds. May be my least favorite game in the series to date - which is by no means a sign of low quality, as I've got great praise for all the ones I've played so far. I'll need a few months to put it into perspective - playing the sequel will certainly help with that as well.

(figured I might as well write this mini review here instead of bumping the SMTIV thread for a low chance at discussion - trying to make writing reviews a habit)

Last edited:

Exhuminator

Arcane
Having just beaten DQ9, which was a slog the entire time, I’m hoping I’m inoculated against that. But you never know.
Unfortunately you played the worst DQ entry, it's not at all indicative of the design of the rest of the series. I suggest playing the PS2 version of DQ8. If that one doesn't pull you into the franchise, I doubt any other entry would.

Suicidal

Arcane
Yeah. There's an encounter probability. It is low in "towns", but you can still easily encounter demons. (almost everyone is a demon anyway)

So far it seems that it's just as high as anywhere else. Once in a town I got into 2 random encounters in such a small timeframe that instead of restarting, the combat track just continued from where it left off during the 1st one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom