Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play: Rule The Waves

Andnjord

Arcane
We'll vote for the Nation and maybe we'll get a succession game

Well damn, I'm gonna have to finish my Steam & Iron LP now, won't I? To be fair I do have the time for that now.

I don't know jack shit about naval aviation. This means we get to use land-based aircraft, aircraft carriers, floatplanes and airships and I don't have the foggiest idea of what's proper and what's the best way to use them. Doesn't hurt to try, tho!
I'm currently reading The Fast Carriers by Clark Reynolds, so that should help some.

Dayyālu

Arcane
You forgot to mention this game now has a really draconian DRM system added to it. You need to contact the company when you want to install it on a new pc.

Yes. I almost got banned from the official forums for.... discussing the subject a tad too freely. As I said there, it ain't a problem: the game will be quickly cracked, I presume, and while I will suffer the shitty DRM by buying it legally I hope we'll get a more usable version thanks to the Eternal Russian.

I'm currently reading The Fast Carriers by Clark Reynolds, so that should help some.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Comte

You forgot to mention this game now has a really draconian DRM system added to it. You need to contact the company when you want to install it on a new pc.

Yes. I almost got banned from the official forums for.... discussing the subject a tad too freely. As I said there, it ain't a problem: the game will be quickly cracked, I presume, and while I will suffer the shitty DRM by buying it legally I hope we'll get a more usable version thanks to the Eternal Russian.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Nice man I followed those discussions and there were some well argued posts against. Like you said the eternal Russian will crack this well us paying customers suffer with this crap. I am planning on purchasing if you get a crack let me know bro.

Comte

You can only use the license 3 times on 3 different machines. Awful why dont they just use steam?

Hoggypare

Savant
You can only use the license 3 times on 3 different machines. Awful why dont they just use steam?
Steam's extortionate practices are a huge drain of potential revenue for a developer of an extremely niche title for niche audience, since the exposition won't neccessarily translate to better sales. That is also why they have higher pricepoint than their game seemingly justifies (other than the fact it has no competition) - they have to get their developement money's worth from a much more limited customer base, so the price they expect people to pay is higher.
I agree the DRM is ultimately pointless and will get cracked anyway, but steam is a death sentence to niche indie devs.

Comte

Steam's extortionate practices are a huge drain of potential revenue for a developer of an extremely niche title for niche audience, since the exposition won't neccessarily translate to better sales. That is also why they have higher pricepoint than their game seemingly justifies (other than the fact it has no competition) - they have to get their developement money's worth from a much more limited customer base, so the price they expect people to pay is higher.
I agree the DRM is ultimately pointless and will get cracked anyway, but steam is a death sentence to niche indie devs.

I hate DRM and I am not a big steam fan I deleted it years ago but their DRM scheme for this game fucking sucks.

Dayyālu

Arcane

I'll be blunt: the RTW devs are good and kind people, but they are utterly clueless. From their replies (and private PMs) they are polite and civilized, but they simply completely fail to understand how PC gaming works and how to reach a bigger audience.

It's not their field and they don't care, and they pretty much took in a DRM in the misguided hope it will work. It's kinda sorta an old people thing. Can't be angry at them for that.

shalis

Barely Literate
Reading that thread on the DRM was an exercise in frustration. The devs may be good and kind, but they are also stubborn as mules and completely stuck on a false perspective based on their fear of losing POTENTIAL income. They completely fail to focus on what they should be focusing on, increasing exposure, as well as the QOL of their game and site. Anyways, I almost decided not to buy it, but it seems they gave in a little and allow up to 8 different machines to used with one license now which is ok even if I abhor hardware locked software in principle.
Thanks Dayyalu, without you I wouldn't even know about this game.

Dayyālu

Arcane
IITT'S OOOUT

XXh8UTa.jpg

I can't wait for the crack to come soon enough. I mean, seriously?

EDIT: Also, "we don't want to inconvenience our buyers"

Only payment option is Paypal

COMRADES, SERIOUSLY

Hoggypare

Savant
Just as a clarification - the only option is paypal, but You can pay with a card without having an account there - I did that
Also, You can play for 3 days before activation. Also it took me 3 minutes (it takes less when you use automatic option if You use mail clients on your pc) to write mail with codes yesterday, and 30 seconds to instert them today.
Not that I support the whole DRM thing, it is ultimately pointless, but let's not make it appear as it is some huge inconvenience. Compared to the UI of fleet management screeen, and what it takes to dispatch ships, this is nothing.
And it is much easier to chew, if You consider how many other design focused military games featuring tactical, strategic and economic layer are out there.

So I endured, I am in 1924 as Japan so far, game's more of the same but better. Some flaws still persist, but overall I had a good time

Comte

I bought this today now that they added Israel. Now I wait for my code...…………..

Dayyālu

Arcane
My first game is with CSA.

I'm not some crazy slavery-supporting dude, but it has an incredibly nice starting position and you get to be a good cancer to the US and other colonial powers. Sank two Bs for four DDs, take that Uncle Sam!

Andnjord

Arcane
My first game is with CSA.

I'm not some crazy slavery-supporting dude, but it has an incredibly nice starting position and you get to be a good cancer to the US and other colonial powers. Sank two Bs for four DDs, take that Uncle Sam!
Yeah, the CSA is a fun starting position, my favorite one from RTW as you get all the fun of the USA without the OP late game budget.

Almost finished the LP, so now I can get RTW2 too and join in the fun :D

Andnjord

Arcane
This thread is now officially for random discussions about RTW2

I've just started a game as Italy with auto legacy fleet and the game gave me this in the under construction queue:

8Mwi9Zw.png
I don't even know how that qualifies as a Battleship :lol:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Because it's too slow. The autosystem probably tried to design a CA, fucked up with armour and fucked up even more managing to get a speed slower than the minimum 19 knots for CA, and it got classified as a B.

The wonders of the Rome government

On the other hand, treaties are awesome. Brb 20k tons 12 inch guns max permitted have fun scapping half of your BB fleet

And I've read there are lower limits, like 12k tons and 8 inches

Andnjord

Arcane
And I've read there are lower limits, like 12k tons and 8 inches
Have you looked at the 1920 start with Historical Treaty? That's 10 000 tons and 8''. If the legacy fleet that you get saddled with wasn't just so terrible I would consider it a fun alternative to the normal start. However, after having a brief look at the GB start and recoiling in horror at the vast quantities of short range, cramped accommodation BB and BC I decided to wait until they fix it before giving it any serious thought.

Comte

just got my code today the last day of the 3 day trial. They gotta fix that crap. I was figuring I would have to personally email Chris to get it. The thing is the NWS Guys aren't bad guys but like you said earlier just a little clueless. I remember talking to Chris on the Phone along time ago. He called cause a physical game I bought on their store didn't have a serial number. Must have been 10+ years ago now crazy to think I talked to this fuck and now he is making grog navy games.

Andnjord

Arcane
So after the wonders of the Rome Government gifted us the terror of the high seas we saw above, my designers decided to get their act together and made enough advances to allow me to lay down three of these bad ass bitches in 1916.

IlGEffS.png

That's with improved triple turrets, quality 0 16'' guns (the 5'' are quality 1 btw) and All or Nothing Armour design, hot damn :D

Dayyālu

Arcane
Annd my first game comes to a close (I'm a slow man and I like to take on my game at my pace) I'm getting to late 40ies tech and now I understand why there's the slow aviation tech option. RTW2 is somewhat of a realistic game: the age of the battleship is dead and it ain't coming back.

After the Communist States of America and the Confederacy became best buddies, France choose to antagonize the Banner of Liberty and in a series of wars I got Algeria and Tunisia, managing to test the new invasion mechanics. They are simple but rewarding, defend convoys and transports to support the land troops. The thing is, though, that the Med becomes land aviation central.

When I got a transport attack mission, and my main battleline and a couple of carrier squadrons went against a bunch of defenseless ships, I easily slaughtered them with torpedo bombers and direct fire. Then ENDLESS amounts of land-based bombers from the mainland started to appear, and despite maximum cap defense and a close formation I understood:

The bomber will always get through sooner or later. I mean, I built up massive amounts of AA and fighter cover but they still managed to get some bombs and torpedoes in, and I didn't lose any ships out of sheer luck because darkness fell.

Now some years later any daytime surface naval action is completely bonkers, because land base aviation will find you sooner or later and cut you into ribbons. Your only chance is to sink stuff fast enough and disengage, or night&bad weather actions.

It's realistic but it's also--- sorta sad. Your magnificent ships become liabilities worthy only of a secure port, and as the months go by they become less and less useful in the air war.

That said, great game. Paradox wishes it made stuff as fun as this one: you almost feel like in the old Pacific movies, trusting unreliable radar and scout planes and readying your squadrons, hoping in a lucky torpedo hit. Great stuff.

Andnjord

Arcane
The bomber will always get through sooner or later. I mean, I built up massive amounts of AA and fighter cover but they still managed to get some bombs and torpedoes in, and I didn't lose any ships out of sheer luck because darkness fell.
Having played another game up to 1955, what did you consider massive amounts of AA? Because that's my second game where as long the fleet would stay together enemy aircraft would never be much more than a nuisance. Granted that was in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, not in the crazy mad max Mediterranean where as soon as a Corvette comes out it gets hits constantly by 2000 aircraft.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Granted that was in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, not in the crazy mad max Mediterranean where as soon as a Corvette comes out it gets his constantly by 2000 aircraft.

All my lategame wars were sadly in Europe, and honestly "Mad Max" is the best description. I pretty much went "fuck it" if the coverage wasn't an entire up-to-date fleet with Heavy CAP. Sure, it was before the rebalancing of Air in the last patches.

Picard

Novice
OK, so I wanna know: when you build battlecruisers, do you focus on armour or firepower? Personally, I go German route (armour-focus), so my battlecruisers often have either several relatively low-calibre turrets, or just one triple or quadruple main battery turret. Second option I take is having full-sized battery while armouring turrets only; while this lets me avoid dreaded multi-million-firecrackers issue that Brits had, it also means that battlecruisers are easily immobilized by a hit in engine room.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom