Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Silentstorm

Learned
Bloodlines 2 and Oxygen Not Included aren't on the store anymore, apparently Troika wasn't aware of that sale price and wasn't happy, neither was Klei since the price became much cheaper than it normally gets on Steam sales.

On a random note, Oxygen Not Included is a good survival/simulation game and worth checking out, it's just that now you can't buy the game on EGS for a while.

cosmicray

Savant
By the way, is 88% realistic in the long run? I know they have lots of money now that they could do even 100%(which they almost do with buying exclusives), but assuming Fortnite is dead in 3 years, is this percent possible?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They're protecting their ability to sell it at full price at release on other stores. Perfectly understandable.

Otherwise gamers might feel it's not fair to buy it at full price on Steam or GOG for example, and wait for a discount. That'd be a disaster for them. Especially since most of the fanbase might not use Epic, so Epic won't be handing out money to cover their loss.

What happened to the "only the customer matters!" mantra though? They try talking about what matters to developers profit-wise and people are like "fuck you who cares" but they offer $10 off and Paradox says nope and now it's "hey they need to protect their bottom line."

This is all such tribal bullshit.

GrainWetski

Arcane
By the way, is 88% realistic in the long run? I know they have lots of money now that they could do even 100%(which they almost do with buying exclusives), but assuming Fortnite is dead in 3 years, is this percent possible?
Running a store at a loss is not realistic in the long run, no.

cosmicray

Savant
Running a store at a loss is not realistic in the long run, no.
But is it at a loss at 12%? If we remove all exclusive deals, sales, etc.

passerby

Arcane
Yeah, well, now that I know some can buy it for 8 dollaroos when I'm stuck with the lovely
omqjXA3.png
price tag...

I think I will wait for a deep deep sale :)

8 dollaroos was only partially caused by Epic 10$ discount, western Europeans would get only 49€, that is 16% discount paid out of Epic pocket, it's not uncommon for games to have 5 - 10% preorder discount.
And with Epic subsidized discount they could get more sales than usual in poor countries, I see no fault here. The thing that happened was drawing first worlders attention to an extreme case of regional pricing, but it's not like it's any different on Steam.

What is funny, they could just have 10$ discount applied at checkout, or have it as a store credit, instead of displaying adjusted price and there wouldn't be meme screenshots flying around making people butthurt and no one would be pulling games from the sale.
Epic hate is hilarious, giving better deal to publishers is evil, subsidizing attractive discount for customers is also evil :lol:

But is it at a loss at 12%? If we remove all exclusive deals, sales, etc.
Epic estimates the cost of running the service and processing sales at around 7%

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
What happened to the "only the customer matters!" mantra though? They try talking about what matters to developers profit-wise and people are like "fuck you who cares" but they offer $10 off and Paradox says nope and now it's "hey they need to protect their bottom line."

says who? Their sales are funny because first they didnt want to do it but now, I wonder why, they do. Still doesnt change the fact that only the customer matters for me and they still can fuck themselves. If you do a sale and dont inform the people whose games you actually put on a discoun about it you deserve to be fucked by them, just as paradox deserves to be fucked by epic for going exclusive (if they are, I dont memorize all exclusives).

Silentstorm

Learned
apparently Troika wasn't aware of that sale price

uhhh guys, should we tell him? :M
No need, i was still thinking of the first game and it was only after i posted that i remembered the game is being made by someone else, i know already.

Still, it was a stupid mistake that i didn't catch on to so everyone feel free to vote "Decline" or something indicating i am an idiot.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron

This is all such tribal bullshit.
Is it the same people? Because as someone who's very anti-Epic due to their exclusivity shit I actually think this is a great pro-consumer move by them. Consumers get $10 off, developers still get the full cut, and Epic bleeds money: a win-win for everyone. Consumers can straight up pre-order some games for up to 66% off, which is unprecedented.
Paradox and Klei are cunts for pulling, and Supergiant are absolute cunts for raising the price mid-sale. You wouldn't catch me dead buying any of their games either way, but now I might even convince others not to (especially after Paradox pulled that Imperator: Rome bullshit yet again). And yes, I understand why they did it, I just find it poor form on their part.

Silentstorm

Learned
Supergiant reduced the price again btw, still not as low as the initial price, i think it's something like 1,50 euros bigger than the initial one, but they still reduced it and promised they will only raise the price on June 4th.

Then again, they said they would have warned people when they were to raise the price in the first place and didn't do that.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Paradox pulled the plug.

Galyonkin says "they weren't properly informed" :D
This is what he said on dtf.ru (https://dtf.ru/gameindustry/50593-v...pala-iz-egs-do-konca-rasprodazhi?comments=all, the stickied comment)

1. Все, кто успел купить игру по скидке - получат ее по скидке.
2. Игра вернется в магазин.
3. Мы полностью компенсируем скидку издателю, они денег не теряют.
4. Издатель был заранее информирован о механизме распродажи и знал о её условиях.

The 4th point says: the publisher was informed in advance about the mechanism of the sale and knew the terms of it.

Edit - fuck never mind this, he later stated he had been wrong about it. Lol.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1. Все, кто успел купить игру по скидке - получат ее по скидке.
2. Игра вернется в магазин.
3. Мы полностью компенсируем скидку издателю, они денег не теряют.
4. Издатель был заранее информирован о механизме распродажи и знал о её условиях.

The 4th point says: the publisher was informed in advance about the mechanism of the sale and knew the terms of it.
Which probably means: we told the publisher that we will discount its game and if it does not agree, it can fuck off.

Silentstorm

Learned
All in all, this was Epic showing a suprisingly bad side of themselves, and by that i mean, i thought Epic would be able to do a freaking sale, it's not as if they could have, i don't know, looked at GOG, Humble Bundle, Steam and various other digital stores and seen how they did sales.

Epic is a big company and while they are new at the digital store thing, even i thought they could double check to see if developers knew how the sale would be like, but silly me for overestimating Epic, seriously, the idea that they could do such a bad job that Paradox and Klei would take their games off the store during the sale never even crossed my mind.

Either way, i doubt this won't sour developer's relationships with Epic in some way.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL if EPIC was in any other industry they would have been fucked hard for the shit they do. Most of it is illegal in most western countries,in EU for sure.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
says who? Their sales are funny because first they didnt want to do it but now, I wonder why, they do. Still doesnt change the fact that only the customer matters for me and they still can fuck themselves. If you do a sale and dont inform the people whose games you actually put on a discoun about it you deserve to be fucked by them, just as paradox deserves to be fucked by epic for going exclusive (if they are, I dont memorize all exclusives).

Epic was taking the $10 off themselves, with their money. It was them throwing their money around in a much more consumer-friendly way, which is supposedly what you all want. Paradox were being the assholes saying they don't want their game being $10 less on pre-order, even if their cut was identical, because of marketing optics. Yet here people are, attacking Epic again for it, proving nothing they do will earn approval from the "I WANT IT ON STEAM!" crowd.

Tribal bullshit is the default human condition though, so none of this is at all surprising. I just like pointing it out.

cosmicray

Savant
But Epic still fucked this up and strained their relationship with the publishers they were so thoroughly courting. It's not disapproval of discounts for consumers(it is good), but simply schadenfreude for Epic failing(which they did).

Cromwell

Arcane
Epic was taking the $10 off themselves, with their money. It was them throwing their money around in a much more consumer-friendly way, which is supposedly what you all want. Paradox were being the assholes saying they don't want their game being $10 less on pre-order, even if their cut was identical, because of marketing optics. Yet here people are, attacking Epic again for it, proving nothing they do will earn approval from the "I WANT IT ON STEAM!" crowd.

Can you please stop being retarded? 10 Dollar doesnt magically make sweeny and his Band of merry morons that much better. I cant speak for other people but if you are smug and condecending towards me and afterwards throw me a tenner as a sorry I will shove it up your ass and that has nothing to do with videogame tribalism or whatever else you think is a deep insight into the human condition. The Reason so many companies bend over backwards to please their consumers is because its really easy to alienate them and its very hard to come back from that because such relationships are one of the few things in life where the lowest fuck actually has some power to say no.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Can you please stop being retarded? 10 Dollar doesnt magically make sweeny and his Band of merry morons that much better. I cant speak for other people but if you are smug and condecending towards me and afterwards throw me a tenner as a sorry I will shove it up your ass and that has nothing to do with videogame tribalism or whatever else you think is a deep insight into the human condition. The Reason so many companies bend over backwards to please their consumers is because its really easy to alienate them and its very hard to come back from that because such relationships are one of the few things in life where the lowest fuck actually has some power to say no.

I'm supposed to be the retard, but you can't fucking read. I'm not saying you have to like Epic now. Hate them with the power of a thousand suns, whatever. I'm saying don't let that hate lead you down the dumbass path of criticizing every single thing they do, even when they do something right. You can say "I still hate Epic but this was fine," it won't kill you. The tribal part is where because you don't like them you act like everything they do is bad.

Using their war chest to offer cheaper games, instead of buying exclusives, is exactly what most of you suggested they do before this. Now they do it, and they're still the bad guys somehow. That's the tribal bullshit I'm pointing out.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm saying don't let that hate lead you down the dumbass path of criticizing every single thing they do, even when they do something right.
Did they do something right though?

Instead of throwing the customer under the bus to benefit the publisher, this time they threw the publisher under to benefit the customer (but in reality mostly themselves).

"Hey guys what you don't like us bribing publishers? How about a bribe for you too? That'll fix everything!"

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
In case anyone cares:

Heavy Rain: the demo is available on May 24, 2019
Beyond: Two Souls: the demo is available on June 27, 2019.
Detroit: Become Human: the demo is available later this summer.

Heavy Rain: the full game is available on June 24, 2019
Beyond: Two Souls: the full game is available on July 22, 2019
Detroit: Become Human: the full game will be available this fall.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.spieltimes.com/news/borderlands-3-pre-order-pulled-out-from-epic-games-store/

2K Games’ Borderlands 3 isn’t available for pre-order on Epic Games Store anymore. The PC version of the game, exclusive to Epic Games Store, which was available for pre-order on the platform until now has been pulled out from the platform without any official notice.

It’s interesting to note that all of Randy Pitchford’s tweets regarding the sale have now suddenly disappeared. Borderlands 3 was on the store prior to Mega Epic Sale. The prices for the Standard, Deluxe and Super Deluxe editions were $59.99, $79.99 and $99.99 respectively. During the sale, the prices were $49.99, 69.99 and 89.99 respectively. However, at the time of writing this article, you can’t pre-order the game and all the Borderlands 3 page says is “Coming Soon”.

Not just on Epic Games Store, but PC Digital option on Borderlands’ official website has also disappeared. One user on Reddit wrote, ” It literally happened while I was clicking for checkout.”

First, Paradox Interactive pulled out Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from EGS Mega Epic Sale, providing the statement(to Kotaku), “We are in discussion with Epic regarding the temporary removal of Vampire: the Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from the Epic Game Store. The game will return to the store soon! Any purchases made while the game was discounted during the Epic Mega Sale will be honored and no Masquerade violations will be assessed.”

Soon enough, Klei Entertainment, well-known for Don’t Starve, pulled out Oxygen Not Included from the Sale as well. However, the developer hasn’t provided any official statement so far.

Neither 2K nor Epic Games have made any official statements regarding the pulling out of Borderlands 3. We’ve contacted both the companies to comment on the same. We’ll update this article when and if they respond.

Randy tweeted, "Save $10 on Borderlands 3! Also works if you have already pre-ordered, I'm told. Epic sure wants to earn your trust."

aRKiz4u.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom