Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - now available on PC

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm actually interested in this, even though I don't like random invisible encounters and anime style. But this one has somehow (due to whatever unexplainable reason) grabbed my attention already some years ago...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
color me surprised. pleasantly surprised. i wonder if it will include the expansion pack game released on japanese iOS.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Is it in any way similar to Tale of the Forsaken Land?

No. Not at all. TotFL is a much different affair that goes for different design goals. It took me a long time to be able to appreciate TotFL for what it is, but I'm glad I did.

JDR13

Arcane
Ugh... no thanks. That looks 99% Weeaboo and 1% Wizardry.

At least Tale of the Forsaken Land had a decent blend of East and West influences.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Edit: I refreshed my memory with some gameplay videos.

I don't like how you can't see healthpoints or status effects on enemies. Is there even such a thing in these j-versions?
I also don't like how you can't select which enemy to attack (if I observed that correctly...).

Wizardry 8 spoiled me so much, I've a hard time playing games which lack certain features of it. Even Bard's Tale 4 gives me more information and control in combat.

I still plan to have a look at it when it releases, because maybe it charms me by its "simplicity"? I'm also interested in this new "Turbo Mode" they added to the game...

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't like how you can't see healthpoints or status effects on enemies. Is there even such a thing in these j-versions?

If I recall correctly, that was tied to a skill in the Class of Heroes games.

Think I'm probably wrong on that one tbh, might be thinking of another game.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Edit: I refreshed my memory with some gameplay videos.

I also don't like how you can't to select which enemy to attack (if I observed that correctly...).

Wizardry 8 spoiled me so much, I've a hard time playing games which lack certain features of it. Even Bard's Tale 4 gives me more information and control in combat.

I still plan to have a look at it when it releases, because maybe it charms me by its "simplicity"? I'm also interested in this new "Turbo Mode" they added to the game...

Having played elminage I can never touch Wiz8 again. The horrible pacing, even with speed mods, renders it unplayable for me.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Information is overrated. If you can't work with limited information, then what's the point of playing anything remotely related to Wizardry or taking inspiration from older games?

Just play a Ubisoft game or something.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I checked the launch trailer again, and at one point it shows a scene where you can see the approximate healthpoints and strength of enemies - not in the combat, but in a journal of some sort. I think that works for me. Still not sure about the targetting though...

Swigen

Arbiter
Heard a lot of good things about this series and this release looks like a good place to start.

Ysaye

Arbiter
color me surprised. pleasantly surprised. i wonder if it will include the expansion pack game released on japanese iOS.

Also wondered that - was that stuff also DLC on the playstation2/3/whatever this original came out on? I never played past the main campaign but was any additional classes offered up in the DLC?

When I originally played this on IOS I was disappointed that Samurais seemed so overpowered; this again IMO shows the contrasting beauty of Elminage where classes are well-balanced. Halfings /porklus are also advantaged over other races because of their being the only ones with high luck stat increases from memory? Also the "Magic Wall" spell was pretty important but you also needed the HP to survive some pretty large spam attacks in the last dungeon so class changing regularly is pretty much a neccesity.

Dungeon-wise this is back to sort of original Wizardry including with "wrap around" dungeons. They are fine from a casual playing perspective but nothing ultra deep.

I will still purchase it but at the end of the day it is has pretty packaging but lacks substance. The "Odette/Ayane" and "Lind" portraits are pretty well endowed (noting for portrait enthusiasts there is only one female and male portraits for each race, with a single palette change option) but as my old maths professor said sexual appeal only lasts a little but the fun one can have with a good mathematical problem can entertain for years.

For those that have played it and reckon I am wrong about the classes, what good party do you reckon I should go? Samurai, Samurai, Lord, Thief, Bishop, Bishop? Or is that not enough Samurai?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
GxdvTen.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
theSavant

1. Group targeting is a core Wizardry mechanic.

2. All information is conveyed through the battle log, such as when you inflict damage or an affliction on an enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom