Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I could understand a policy of rejecting games with that particular... aesthetic, but GOG is overflowing with that visual novel crap as it is. Idiots.

About the aesthetics: this particular Wizardry stood out to me very positively in aesthetics (graphics, UI, effects, music) compared to most other jBlobbers. And I'm very picky about games. Also there's not too much nudity and anime style overall to be annoyed. I simply cannot understand why they rejected it.

My recent assumption for the rejection is that: maybe these guys at GOG just don't like blobbers?

:bunkertime:

Removal

Scholar
to play devil's advocate, their recent poor financial reports may have made them go full "only accept games that will for sure sell"
dumb as hell though, especially since they already have other waifu crawlers in store and seem to regularly put up games that I doubt sell that great

GrainWetski

Arcane
to play devil's advocate, their recent poor financial reports may have made them go full "only accept games that will for sure sell"
dumb as hell though, especially since they already have other waifu crawlers in store and seem to regularly put up games that I doubt sell that great
Half the games released on GOG over the last few years is hipster trash that don't sell more than a dozen copies.

A couple of recently released quality titles that will no doubt sell a lot of copies. Looking at GOG is the first time I hear of any of this trash. The awful Steam must've hidden it from me.

https://af.gog.com/game/the_world_next_door?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/swag_and_sorcery?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/irony_curtain_from_matryoshka_with_love?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbane

Arcane
Maybe they were scared of anime titties, but Mary Skelter is here with no censorship.

????

Maybe they know (some people of) the Codex likes it and therefore it is not PC enough?

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

To put this particular release into a little more context: Swag and Sorcery comes from a publisher (tinyBuild) who is somewhat infamous among the gog community for NEVER updating their gog builds. One of their games, Punch Club (incidentally made by the same dev as Swag and Sorcery: Lazy Bear Games), released on gog a year late, is missing features, rarely (if ever?) got any updates and to top it all of, the dev released some cool sales statistics that basically said that no one bought the game on gog and that the gog release did nothing other than facilitate piracy.

That and Lazy Bear Games flat-out lied about an imminent gog release a week before it was scheduled.

Needless to say, gog users were dismayed that gog would still allow them on their platform.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Half the games released on GOG over the last few years is hipster trash that don't sell more than a dozen copies.

A couple of recently released quality titles that will no doubt sell a lot of copies. Looking at GOG is the first time I hear of any of this trash. The awful Steam must've hidden it from me.

https://af.gog.com/game/the_world_next_door?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/swag_and_sorcery?as=1649904300
https://af.gog.com/game/irony_curtain_from_matryoshka_with_love?as=1649904300
Irony Courtain seems to be a decent point and click adventure, not some hipster trash TBH.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I'm browsing the weekend deal page .

How good games are these ?

Ruiner
A cyberpunk twin stick shooter of sorts, bit of hotline miami in there as well.

I found some things awkward with kb+m, but barely remember what exactly the issues were. There definitely were some though, control-wise.

You don't retain weapons once they're empty either except for the basic one and you sword. That sort of thing.
It wasn't that great in terms of mechanics in general.

Nice art and mood, but otherwise not quite up to snuff.
Buy if it's cheap if you like the genre in general, otherwise not worth it imo.

I played it on release, so I don't know whether it has been improved since. Check the update news first. If they fixed some stuff, maybe it's worth checking out now.

Satelite Reign

It's supposed to be something of a Syndicate/Syndicate Wars successor.
Ended up being more like a semi open-world cyberpunk Commandos-lite game.
It sadly has a cover system where you have to stick just behind cover (ugh) instead of at least a normal system where shots simply take obstructions anywhere near/in their path into account (JA2).
It's not much of a sim though, You just take reduced damage (dps) when in cover and more out of it etc. A lot of weapons are underwhelming.

Can be hard on your system compared to what's really on screen (lots of color and neon light smudgy stuff and rain and whatnot, but not much else). I don't think they ever fixed that.
It got a big update at some point to help with some of the annoying stuff... Has a mode where damage is much increased so you don't feel like you're playing a fucking MMO anymore.

Mission areas are mostly fenced/walled compounds on the map, where you have to enter somehow (rope in, hack door, whatever). Then the rest is a Commandos-like puzzle if you want to go stealth.
If not, you may face endlessly spawning enemies (yay).

There's a lot of cheaply made systems like the research, but I can't be bothered to get into all of it.

Another game to get during a steep sale if you're really bored. But like ruiner it looks cooler than it is.

Hope that helps...

Edit: Removed a line. Misremembered something.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
GOG's turned into a bit of a mess, huh.
I wonder where they're going to go from here. I don't think they have the kind of whole separate internet infrastructure of their own like steam, so going big with huge releases and lots of them doesn't seem like it'd be feasible... And big publishers don't want to sell their games without DRM, normally.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
GOG's turned into a bit of a mess, huh.
I wonder where they're going to go from here. I don't think they have the kind of whole separate internet infrastructure of their own like steam, so going big with huge releases and lots of them doesn't seem like it'd be feasible... And big publishers don't want to sell their games without DRM, normally.

Echoing what I said over in the Grimoire thread, I think some publisher deals fell through. Between 2012-2017 gog picked up EA, Disney, 2K, Warner Bros, Ubisoft, Paradox AND Bethesda. We saw a huge stream of classic releases from those studios. Then starting last year, the releases fell off to a trickle. Really the only of those studios that have stuck with gog is 2K. They've handed gog Bioshock, Mafia, and others. We were all waiting for the flood of older games, especially the giant tomb of locked IPs from EA. And... we're still waiting.

I'm not Polish enough to understand how they work BTS, but the forum moderation, site redesign, change in region pricing, and lack of classic title releases all seemed to coincide closely with one another. It could be a coincidence, but usually when you smell smoke, there's fire.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Let everything on your store, deal with countless articles and complaints about it. Try to curate your store, deal with countless articles and complaints about it. Embrace nihilism, you're fucked either way. Nothing matters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom