Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Why do Clerics suck so much?

Do you play as Cleric?

• Yes

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • OP's heterosexuality is indeed questionable

Votes: 47 48.5%

• Total voters

turkishronin

Arcane
Imagine the whole point of a class being... healing!(and occasionally messing with undead)
Basically most RPGs take into account so that the first companion you come across is a healer type, because they deep down know no one's gonna spend time at char gen to make a fucking healer. A modest amount of items would easily replace Clerics(who needs resurrection when you can just reload?)
Seriously, fuck Clerics.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Actually imagine how useful someone who can spontaneously heal or revive recently dead people would be.

But you're right, the protagonist being a straight cleric with no offensive capabilities makes him/her look weak. That's why multiclass / dualclass is a thing.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I see your point, especially in video games, but I've played a Cleric in multiple sessions of DnD and always had a blast. I built my character like a tank, capable of doing serious damage while also healing.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's because they live in a male dominated, highly hierarchical system which leads to easy exploitation on young members.

Also, boys will be boys.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Imagine the whole point of a class being... healing!(and occasionally messing with undead)
Basically most RPGs take into account so that the first companion you come across is a healer type, because they deep down know no one's gonna spend time at char gen to make a fucking healer. A modest amount of items would easily replace Clerics(who needs resurrection when you can just reload?)
Seriously, fuck Clerics.
Clerics aren't just healbots, unless they're being played by a retard. A D&D Cleric can be a better fighter than the Fighter, while doing a ton of other useful things besides.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
DRfD0u7XcAAvfBE.jpg

come again?

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, clerics, in BG and IWD1, its like you said, they heal and deal with Undead if they are not evil. In IWD2 they can tank and be frontliners with all the self buffing and healing, they are really good.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I see your point, especially in video games, but I've played a Cleric in multiple sessions of DnD and always had a blast. I built my character like a tank, capable of doing serious damage while also healing.

Yes. D&D clerics are basically so varied you could have a party full of them and still have a functional setup with all the roles filled in. Domains are god-sent. Video games don't do them justice because they're basically OP as fuck hybrids that can be build to suit whatever you need.

Guild Wars' Monk is the only time I've enjoyed playing a "healer", mostly because the profession had the ability to proactively stop most damage from being taken at all, with healing being supplemental rather than the class's main tool.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not taking damage in the first place comes to mind :p As for the OP, I always play a healing class first.

WTF is going on in this thread? Clerics are probably the strongest base class in 3E when built correctly, and Priests in PoE are even more OP than in 3E. Fucking Knowledge(minmaxing) check failed Codex.

Absinthe

Arcane
In D&D games Cleric classes are usually more versatile than they are taken for. They have fighting capabilities sufficient to outmatch most warrior-types if you allocate their stats for combat and have them cast their self-buffs, and depending on their domains they have a number of wizard spells at their disposal to boot. Even without domains (like in Baldur's Gate) they usually have a number of crowd control spells as well as summoning and necromancy. It's a common mistake to treat them as merely healers.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I'm often drawn to play as a cleric and give it a shot, but they usually turn out to be quite boring to actually play gameplay-wise.

It'd be nice if the overall approach to them focussed a little more on offensive spells like.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yall should play MMOs, they can make healers really interesting. The best I ever played was a game called Vanguard which had a Disciple which was a monk/druid type of hybrid. You have 2 targets, offensive and defensive, so you attack your offensive target and it heals your defensive target. Attacks build up spirit that you convert into a heal on your defensive target, or you can convert it into a counterspell or a buff instead. Rift is similar with the Bard, it is a lot of fun to play. Although it was really fun when the game first started, the enemies were really tough. They made it so easy now that the classes don't even matter anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom