Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker's combat is more of a clusterfuck than Deadfire's

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Codex: Pillars of Eternity is such a clusterfuck

pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-turn-based-preview-2.jpg

Also the codex: Nothing wrong here

400E3E716CE80B3098A469A97BF5B9CB03010B2D

ED0BF776880D61D9F3D37D119B8A543BCDFCC0DC

1539530028002.jpg

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
RTwP is a clusterfuck and turn-based isn't.

I don't think this is the case, it's more of a visual and UI style issue. Of the two presented games, the art/3D direction wants the units to meld into the environment with effects, lighting, post-processing, and the system/UI guys want to use overhead tooltips to try and explain whats going on in combat, but those are at odds with combat readability.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The camera is too zoomed in as well. Over the top spell FX (which I despise), text all over the characters (PoE also has health bars over them), too many mobs on screen (why? Just have fewer but tougher mobs), camera being too zoomed in and perhaps everyone doing their thing way too fast is a grade A recipe for clusterfuck.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL butthurt to the max. Still sour that kingmaker sold better and people are still playing it LoL. What a sad little cunt you are. Also you are just showing a hand picked screenshots to back your agenda. Deadfire was clusterfuck and not only in effects. The fucking combat log is unreadable at best.

filpan

Scholar
I dont know about you, I have the immersive option turned on, and it looks like BG, almost. The only thing I see on the screen is Attack of opportunity. I have combat log if I want to know details of the fight. I dont even know how you can play with all that shit turned on on the screen, it looks awful. So ,to me , Kingmaker is the best cRPG since BGII

Cael

Arcane
Perhaps there should be a comparison made between ToEE and bugmaker? That would be TB vs RTwP.

Dodo1610

Arcane
I actually liked that about Pathfinder, you are forced to use real strategy and tactics to win. Formations play a huge role in Pathfinder combat which makes long weapons like Spears really useful.
In POE you simply manage health bars while Pathfinder forces you to win battles.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Safav, you really need not to have such grudge about rtwp. There are people who like rtwp more than tb.
In rtwp you need to use formations and micromanage whole party at once which gives you great sense of control every moment.
TB has it own tacti-coolness in every turn.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Kingmaker has way too many enemies, its slow mode isn't even near slow enough for you to fully comprehend what's going on in the screen in the late game.

I don't like RTwP, but its fine people like it. However Pathfinder(and DnD for that matter) is a system designed around the idea of turn based, making it into RTwP is just unnecessary and pointless.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
However Pathfinder(and DnD for that matter) is a system designed around the idea of turn based, making it into RTwP is just unnecessary and pointless.

Here's a quote from Kingmaker's lead director defending the decision not to go turn based (PorkyThePaladin)

Turn-based battles are attention hogs. It takes a lot of time to finish one and there are many battles to be fought. Since they take up so much time and attention, these battles have to be different and unique, and that makes the game too combat-oriented for our taste.

Cael

Arcane
However Pathfinder(and DnD for that matter) is a system designed around the idea of turn based, making it into RTwP is just unnecessary and pointless.

Here's a quote from Kingmaker's lead director defending the decision not to go turn based (PorkyThePaladin)

Turn-based battles are attention hogs. It takes a lot of time to finish one and there are many battles to be fought. Since they take up so much time and attention, these battles have to be different and unique, and that makes the game too combat-oriented for our taste.
"...there are many battles to be fought..." swiftly followed by "...makes the game too combat-oriented..."

:deathclaw:

frajaq

Erudite
LoL butthurt to the max. Still sour that kingmaker sold better and people are still playing it LoL. What a sad little cunt you are. Also you are just showing a hand picked screenshots to back your agenda. Deadfire was clusterfuck and not only in effects. The fucking combat log is unreadable at best.

:npc:

literally picking a screenshot of one of the fights where the chaos of the spread of oil and fire is the fucking point

also D:OS 2 sold better than both these games :mixedemotions:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom