Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why has the perfect game not been produced?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Has there ever been a perfect novel? A perfect movie? A perfect song?

Perfection is not achievable in the subjective. One can only hope to ever achieve the greatest of what has come before you.
Perfect movies:
King Kong (1933)
Godzilla (1954)
Jaws (1975)

Perfect songs:
My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean
Can't Take My Eyes Off You
We Are The Champions - Queen (The only one that hasn't been covered by too many notable artist, and the one most deserving of the "Perfect Song" title)

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Loose Cannon

Wasn't that cancelled? Or is there some playable form of it?

Not as far as I know. Gamespot, mobygames, and a few other sites still have some screens in their archive sections. There may be a super-primitive dev build somewhere on the net, but I doubt it. Digital Anvil was making an XBOX version as well, so it seems odd that they'd get that far with not even a beta or something to show for it.

https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/15/loose-cannon-xbox-cancelled/

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What the fuck do you mean, there have been several "Citizen Kane of gaming" games released so far.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You never heard of Birthright: Gorgon's Alliance?
Yes, played it a few times. I'll admit I was pretty horrible at the game. As usual I did not bother to read player manual or have any clue what I was doing.
Just pick it up as I went along. Years later I started watching Kikoskia's LP on YouTube

and the game made much more sense and the kingdom aspect of the game became much more enjoyable and doable. Sadly Gorgon's Alliance (https://www.myabandonware.com/game/birthright-the-gorgon-s-alliance-cov) didn't have much success. Not sure there has been anything produced since then (1996) that even approaches what it was trying to achieve.
But thanks for reminding me of that one! Might give it another go :)

Machocruz

Arcane
Perfection is boring. A "10" who just lays there like a tarp while you fuck her, while the 6 will suck your future children out of ya like it's her last meal

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron

Super Mario Odyssey

Divinity: Original Sin II
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Journey (PS4)

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Bayonetta 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Chrono Cross
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Well I have only tried 2 of the games on that list of 15. Had a console a long long time ago but went PC around '85 or so at University.
Nothing like hunching over an old University type PC under fluorescent lights in an institutional setting playing a text only MUD (the drone of fluorescent lighting while sitting on chair so hard your ass goes numb after an hour)
I don't like platformers or driving games or sports type games so that knocks out 2 or 3. Metal Gear has 2 nods and does Zelda so that's impressive (or not)

I totally get that every person's idea of a great game is subjective. I wasn't and am not trying to open Pandora's Box here. Just maybe have a better understanding of what keeps me playing PC games, why people like one aspect of a game and not another. Like Felipepe did with his work (and all the contributors) on https://crpgbook.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/crpg-book-preview-5.pdf , that was and is pretty huge imho (Thanks Felipepe!) Now I'm confused about my own questions.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A perfect RPG would be a visually appealing game, with great writing, great characters and lots of choices and consequences.

Obviously the game that comes closest to that is Sengoku Rance

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Well, a strong argument could be made that Tetris is the closest thing to the "perfect game".
  • It's concept and appeal are universal: the extremely simple premise and presentation of the game, means anyone can understand and play it; there's no barrier of any kind to this game, because there's simply no human element to it - no story, no cultural references or concepts, just blocks falling down (even a game like pac-man has a human layer to it, the ghosts/fruits, which means if the player comes from a civilization that has no notion about these ideas, he won't recognize the ghosts as threats and the fruits nourishment) - so for example, if aliens were to land on Earth after humankind disappeared, Tetris would be the videogame they would have the easiest time understanding.
  • It's the one of the few videogames (if not the only one) where you can't modify it's fundamental gameplay mechanics and still have a interesting and functional game, because the mechanics are just that tightly designed: if you take out the ability to rotate the pieces, then the game won't work; if you remove the piece randomizer, then the players can learn a pattern and break the game; if you remove the scoring system then there's no reason for people to continue to play and coming and coming back to it after a few rounds; if the gravity acted independently for each piece, then it would be very difficult for the player to loose; if the game doesn't speed up with each level then there's nothing to challenge the players;
  • The 4 blocks pieces are a perfect set: if the pieces had only 3 blocks the game would be to simple to be satisfying, as there's only 2 possible combinations; if the pieces had 5 blocks the game would be to complex, as there would be too many combinations, the way the pieces are set would result in a lot of horizontal sliding (which the game isn't aiming at) and finally it would be unnecessarily off-putting with all the irregular shapes.
  • Guarranted to be challenging: the inevitable failure means any player, no matter how good he/she is, will always be pushed to a challenging situation.
The most subjective aspect about Tetris, it's is music. But then again the music is clearly not integral to the game experience and supposed to serve as a backing music (the fact the original GameBoy music is catchy did help in this regard)

God Hand in my opinion is a perfect game,

It's definitively a great game, but it obviously has issues: the enemy design could have been more creative (specially the mooks); while the QTE's are pretty funny and ridiculous, they are still QTE's and shouldn't be as prominent as they are (specially considering they can grind both the player's controllers and muscles); the move list is extensive and it's fun to be able to customize your own playstyle, but that said quality>>>quantity; the level design leaves a lot of room for improvement, it's not bad but nothing more than mediocre.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
A perfect RPG would be a visually appealing game, with great writing, great characters and lots of choices and consequences.

Obviously the game that comes closest to that is Sengoku Rance
Looks interesting, thanks!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Why has the perfect game not been produced (RPG-wise)? Because it's not a viable venture.

Check out the biggest RPGs out there. They took years to make, and have longer development times than many other game genres, but not necessarily bigger teams and/or budgets.

Now look at them again. Since the mid-1990s they have been bugfests of the highest order, needing many patches just to be considered playable, and fan patches to be considered the best. Not because the developers were incompetent, but because the games were so damn complex. Before that was an era of resource-intensive RPGs being released to a public that didn't have the hardware to play them, and before that an era of such limited computational power that creating the perfect game (RPG-wise) was a physical impossibility.

Where are the studios that made those big RPGs? Gone. All of them. The ones still standing are only claiming to be good RPG studios, dangling on the legacy of one good title that they somehow fluked into making, but they're the ones that have thinned out the RPG formula the most. Bioware made it big with Baldur's Gate 2... and look where they are now, an absolute joke. Bethesda took one of the most intelligent game series of the past 20 years and turned it into a product for morons.

And then there are the fans. You lot, reading this right now. You're here because you're passionate for your RPGs, but is that passion getting the better of you? There's a reason the RPG Codex has such a bad rep, and that is the unbridled passion we've shown for these games, for better and (most definetly) for worse. There are genuinely insane people here that won't settle for some guy on the internet disagreeing with them about Oblivion or Dragon Age or the Gold Box games or whatever, and will take some kind of action to show that. This is why we have this meme:

:planetickets:

How many of you actually bought copies of those big RPGs when they were released? I did my part, bought numerous games back when they were new, including some of the finest RPGs ever made. (I still have the games, in their boxes and such.) But that didn't help those studios, did it? How many of you actually supported your favorite RPG developer before the age of Kickstarter, which not only showed game developers to have the integrity of beggars, but that it's lucrative for them to stoop so low? How many of you are supporting them now, and how far are you willing to take that support?

The developers who made those big RPGs were as passionate about making them as we, the fans, are passionate about them today and can engage in some lively discussions about them today. But RPGs are sadly not likely to pay the bills, and the effort needed to put into a RPG title, compared to the returns, is just not favorable for them. It's been an uphill battle since the start, and there's no sign of the road leveling out ahead of us. Yet we remain here, trudging on, hoping.

Frozen

Arcane
After like what 30 years why has the perfect game not been produced or even approached (crpg - wise)
The technology is there. Hardware is up to the task. Where is the bottleneck?

Rejects from other forms of entertainment are working in gaming industry so you have bad everything.

They are not good at art design, story, organization an all other important AAA things and beside that even at basic gameplay level and cant code shit.

Falksi

Arcane

I mean, wow. Just how do they get away with it?

Out of the games on that list which I've played...........

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Boring, banal climbing fest. Great car chase scene, rest of the game was too much of the same thing over & over. :3/5:
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain -
Boring, repetitive open world bullshit, with no real substance to it. :2/5:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -
Boring, repetitive open world bullshit, with nice cutscenes but awful, work-like feel to it. :2/5:
Grand Theft Auto IV
- Boring, life sim attempt which takes eveything fun & good from the GTA series, and wanks it all down the shitter. :0/5:
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Good little beat 'em up, not as good as Soul Blade :3/5:
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -
Prob the most overated game ever. Zelda 4 was a lush, playable, clever, wonderous adventure full of challenge. This was a cumbersome walk in the park which looked & felt likes shit to play. Boring too. :2/5:

There you go I'm a reviewer now. Give me my bribe.

Last edited:

Norfleet

Why has the perfect ANYTHING not been produced? Simple. Because everything is shit. Even the ancient Romans knew this, as seen in their saying, "Omnia Merdae Sunt", which means, surprisingly enough, "everything is shit".

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
It has, there just aren't that many people talking about it.

tied-up-women-photo-him-pinterest-woman-latex-and-ladies-ties-l-5bedda74b6b66c6e.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom