Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker's combat is more of a clusterfuck than Deadfire's

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Action <<< RTwP <<<<< turn-based <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< simultaneous turn resolution
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< card combat
real life combat trumps everything else :obviously:
Igor bring me the axe!
*pulls out tiny revolver and shoots fantadomat*
Ignoring the scratch i go for the upper part of the kneecap for clean cut,then spend the day breaking bones for maximum pain and behead you by the evening,pain to coward!

I don't really ever understand the people who always want movies and games to be shorter and shorter. I have this weird thing I do, where if I find that I want whatever it is I am doing to be shorter and to end I stop doing it.

I think If I were going to a movie and it was going to to be an hour and 20 minutes I would rather just not go to that movie or choose instead choose a movie that would make me wish it were longer rather than shorter. If I want something to end it might suck.

Cael

Arcane
Action <<< RTwP <<<<< turn-based <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< simultaneous turn resolution
Igor bring me the axe!
Ignoring the scratch i go for the upper part of the kneecap for clean cut,then spend the day breaking bones for maximum pain and behead you by the evening,pain to coward!
Your punishment for not getting that is to watch Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom 5 times.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Igor bring me the axe!
Your punishment for not getting that is to watch Indianna Jones and the Temple of Doom 5 times.
In temple of doom he didn't had the gun or ammo,i am forgetting. In the first one was where he shot the cucked arab with the saber. In a real fight i won't do tricks but will try to cleave your head off :).

Cael

Arcane
Igor bring me the axe!
In temple of doom he didn't had the gun or ammo,i am forgetting. In the first one was where he shot the cucked arab with the saber. In a real fight i won't do tricks but will try to cleave your head off :).
Oh yeah. It was Raiders that had the market scene.

The Arab was 30+ feet away. With or without tricks, he was dead.

mondblut

Arcane
Also you are just showing a hand picked screenshots to back your agenda.

Not really

usfgklh9l5s11.jpg

5c33d4bf4e3b6_BoR16SD.jpg

4RCIAWn.jpg

Battle for Winterfell - the game?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
PF:K has less obtrusive spell effects than most other cRPGs. For instance, it doesn't bother you with a dozen buff-spell spheres around your characters like the BGs or NWNs did until you can't see shit when your party is buffed up.
The screenshots are stupid examples. When you cast a lignting bolt, you see a lightning bolt on screen. No shit. But a second later the bolt is gone, it's not like the screen is full with these animations 24/7.

Still, I do think the RtwP clusterfuck is pretty bad in this game, worse than in the infinity engine games or NWWs, for reasons unrelated to spell effects. And yes, had they implemented the PF system properly turn based, cut down on the trash and made more well designed set pieces (Blackguards style) this game could have been glorious.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
AOE spell results in brief spam of damage numbers and ancillary effects displaying on screen. Shocking.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
That's not what makes it a clusterfuck. It's that every fight ends up looking like a messy blob of enemies.

SyHH8f0.jpg

Last edited:
One is really small and has 20 (I think, it's so small it's hard to tell) characters while the other is big and has only 12?

If that's the fight I think it is (again, a bit hard to tell with how small the picture is), there's a reason there's lots of characters there. That looks like the riot scene where a crowd of angry peasants tries to lynch your character, so of course it's going to be a crowd, if anything, there's not enough of them. You're really reaching it here, first with screens that show the moment an AoE spell goes off, then by posting this. Me, I'm not saying that turn based Kingmaker wouldn't be better, but I will say that I don't have any particular problems reading most of those screens you posted, despite the momentary AoE effect. And also that RtwP Kingmaker still blows Pillars out of the water, RtwP or not.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly I would agree that sometime there are too much thing on screen in PFK especially when your 6 man party + half dozens of summons are facing a dozen enemies or so while being hasted up, and on higher level with like 4 attacks per round by everybody it kinda gets messy.

But Safav fuck off. Nitpicking PFK screenshots when AoE are mid-effects alongside the damage number while you post idle animations in Deadfire is ridiculous.

And comparing User Interface/Experience on wholly different genre which play entirely different is stupid. If so SNES Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest must be the best RPG ever, better than POE2 because I clearly can see every single effect clearly and the game being non-intrusive UI wise.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Kingmaker would be less shit if it was turn based, but according to Owlcat's lead director turn based combat gets in the way of having more trash mobs

Turn-based battles are attention hogs. It takes a lot of time to finish one and there are many battles to be fought. Since they take up so much time and attention, these battles have to be different and unique, and that makes the game too combat-oriented for our taste.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
To me it is boring. But if someone could buy that engine and some of the assets and make a FFT type game out of it, I would be really excited.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Kingmaker would be less shit if it was turn based, but according to Owlcat's lead director turn based combat gets in the way of having more trash mobs

Turn-based battles are attention hogs. It takes a lot of time to finish one and there are many battles to be fought. Since they take up so much time and attention, these battles have to be different and unique, and that makes the game too combat-oriented for our taste.
They had a Survey about a month ago asking players if they prefer real time or turn based. They also had a survey asking about how they could improve the last chapter and how they could improve the first. I think the fact that they asked if players wanted it, means they are open to considering adding it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom