Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with enviromental changes mechanic

• Thread starter Farewell into the night
  • Start date

Farewell into the night

Hey, help me find games in which environment can change, depending on player's actions. Any genre is welcome.

RTS examples:
Starcraft/Warcraft3/War_of_the_Ring -> zerg creep/undead blight/corrupted ground.

Sorry for bad grammar. Hope you'll help me.

mondblut

Arcane
In Celtic Tales, casting Lightning spell may result in rain coming the following turns in combat.

And in Dominions, you don't even need actions; just standing somewhere nearby (or having your people pray hard enough) can turn a province into arid desert or corpse-strewn wasteland.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Master of Magic has terrain changing spells. Change Terrain, Enchant Road etc..
220px-Master_of_Magic_boxcover.jpg

3250-master-of-magic-dos-screenshot-research-spells.gif

105668-master-of-magic-dos-screenshot-the-world-after-a-bit-of-exploration.png

3248-master-of-magic-dos-screenshot-a-view-of-the-city.gif

DraQ

Arcane
Anyone not mentioning Myth: The Fallen Lords and, especially Myth: Soulblighter (dem fire arrows) is a gigantic faggot.
Apart from that:
  • Divinity: Original Sin (both) rely heavily on environmental effects for gameplay
  • The I of The Dragon features a lot of spells that affect terrain
  • Red Faction series allows you to break stuff and even tunnel through levels.
  • Cortex Command (petered out a bit after promising early development, but I still consider it worthwhile), but any changes to levels persist in campaign mode.

PrettyDeadman

Sacrifice had some cool enviromental spells like Bore of Volcano.

Also Perimeter. As far as I remember terraforming was one of it's core mechanics:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Populous 3 had some terraforming spells I believe.

Also didn't Settlers 4 have some terrain-specific spells as well?

Cael

Arcane
Master of Magic has terrain changing spells. Change Terrain, Enchant Road etc..
220px-Master_of_Magic_boxcover.jpg

3250-master-of-magic-dos-screenshot-research-spells.gif

105668-master-of-magic-dos-screenshot-the-world-after-a-bit-of-exploration.png

3248-master-of-magic-dos-screenshot-a-view-of-the-city.gif
Civ 4 Fall from Heaven 2 mod. Wait till Hell gets unleashed on the world. Hooo-eee!

Warlock 2 has a TON of terraforming spells.

Alpha Centauri allows you to basically reshape the entire planet, should you so choose.

XCom Apocalypse. Want to blow up an entire apartment block in the slums or level the entire city? Well, you can!

Norfleet

Alpha Centauri. By the time I'm finished, the map is "waterworld", and I own the only meaningfully habitable land. Everyone else sleeps with the fishes!

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Disciples 1+2 where you change the terrain (via cities and rods) to take control over resources.

Master

Arbiter
Warcraft 3 blight, with the undead? Cant believe i remember that stuff after all these years.

DemonKing

Arcane
Battlefield series let's you destroy buildings with bombs, tanks etc.

Company of Heroes you can also destroy and/or set on fire walls, buildings, trees and the environment in a pleasingly realistic manner (still remember the time I fired a rifle grenade into a wooden building full of Russian conscripts and the whole thing just collapsed in on them).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom