Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Gerrard

Arcane

:mca:

That's some highly condensed autism, he isn't wrong for the most part tho, but such is the nature of f2p games, especially 'ethical' ones like PoE.

You gotta keep churning out content updates (regardless of whether they suck or not) or else the vast majority of players will fuck off for good and since the game is quite great for the most part, they got a huge surplus of community's goodwill built over the years, so they can ignore QoL stuff for as long as they feel like it.

Besides I heard a bunch of shit about working environment at GGG, It's not horrible by any means, but it's not a tightly run ship either, combine that with 3 months per league (during which you inevitably split the team in order to update the current league and work on the upcoming one) and you get what you get.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Besides I heard a bunch of shit about working environment at GGG, It's not horrible by any means, but it's not a tightly run ship either, combine that with 3 months per league (during which you inevitably split the team in order to update the current league and work on the upcoming one) and you get what you get.

Delicious sauce plox?

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
AHmFAKY.jpg

so i am after a +1 max block corrupted Legacy Aegis Aurora for a while. suppose there isnt even one around at all.
so i finally got a Corruption Altar (my very first)and well, lets say i didnt hit but didnt miss either

Zdzisiu

Arcane
New Expansion! https://www.pathofexile.com/legion

Basically Breach 2.0.

And a lot of melee changes, not only number changes to skills but mechanical changes like animation canceling, instant movement skills.

Rework of Gladiator and Berserker.

Some new Jewels that look cool but I have no real idea about their power.

Also, incubating eggs in your pants!

Perkel

Arcane
GGG: Let's make melee into casting and let us drop all pretenses aka "melee fix"
GGG: Here is another Breach league with another fucking retarded timer 5 time in row further incentivising speed over slower pace tactical gaming.

I can't imagine how game will get even more retarded for 4.0 at the end of next year.
At the time probably players will start with +100% movement speed and players will not have to even stop to attack or do something, players just will run around and skills will be used when players run past monsters automatically all at once.

I just fucking hope Wolcen will finally come out and won't be shit. I can't wait to drop PoE properly.
Tried multiple time Grim Dawn but it is fucking boring af.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
GGG: Here is another Breach league with another fucking retarded timer 5 time in row further incentivising speed over slower pace tactical gaming.

It is impossible for Path of Exile to incentivize slower pace tactical gaming because of the way the item drops are set up currently. No league design is going to compensate for the reality that most items that drop are junk and that there isn't nearly enough of a quantity and rarity difference between normal mobs and rare mobs/uniques/bosses to justify going slower. It requires a fundamental shift in GGG's reward philosophy to do that kind of overhaul to the loot system, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon.

The game used to be a lot slower in 2013, and due to the above reason it also used to be a lot worse.

frajaq

Erudite
looks better than previous league so far which is a low fucking bar, but we'll see

I really doubt they'll fix the core melee issues of PoE but I hope I can least have more fun with it this time

T. Reich

Arcane
So, if I got the base mechanics of the league correctly:
1) Click on the worldstone shard (or is it a protoss pylon?) to start a timer.
2) During the timer, use the attacks to unfreeze the enemies/boxes.
3) When the timer runs out, you get the loot from the unfrozen boxes and get to fight the unfrozen enemies that also drop loot (and shards).

My conclusion: melee rework dead in the water.
Run to the packs to unfreeze them in melee range (whatever stands for "melee" range these days anyway)?
Why?
I'd rather stand in place and spam multiproj bow/spell skills with chain/pierce to unfreeze ALL of the enemies out there, offscreen, too.
And also instantly kill the chaff when they unfreeze.
Of course, you still want to maximise your movement speed potential anyway.
Also, character-centric aoe skill users are likely fucked, as are trappers (trap trigger time is WAY too slow for this shit) and melee minion summoners.
I wonder if you need to score a hit on a frozen enemy, or if pure degen will also unfreeze them. Otherwise GG to the aoe degen builds as well.

I suppose, the league is still WAY better than Synthesis, but as frajaq said - it's a pretty low bar...

I might come back and see if it was the Synthesis micromanagement hell that drove me away from PoE, or if it's the micromanagement hell of PoE at large. Still on the fence on this one.

Perkel

Arcane

It is impossible for Path of Exile to incentivize slower pace tactical gaming because of the way the item drops are set up currently. No league design is going to compensate for the reality that most items that drop are junk and that there isn't nearly enough of a quantity and rarity difference between normal mobs and rare mobs/uniques/bosses to justify going slower. It requires a fundamental shift in GGG's reward philosophy to do that kind of overhaul to the loot system, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon.

The game used to be a lot slower in 2013, and due to the above reason it also used to be a lot worse.

Early PoE problem was lack of content not design and just polish on some things like better fx and responsiveness.
For example i have no issues with what they are doing with animation system for melee for this expansion.

Like you said you need to mow down coutless of trash mobs to get something good or you won't but also it is true that they introduced "monster patch" few years ago which effectively doubled amount of monster packs in game but halved amount of stuff you get from single monster.

I watched GGG GDC video and they don't care about design anymore. They only care about revenue stream. They look at D3 players and so on.

Like i said hopefully Wolcen will come out and be good game, they want to release first act in next month or something like that and they picked up speed in how fast they develop game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I remember times when you could die to monsters before endgame, not just to "new league lol one-shot"

Perkel

Arcane
This patch at least has 2 good changes in it.

animation rework
left click will continue attacking next target after you kill monster much like grim dawn

Which means that some skills like double strike, infernal blow etc will not feel clunky anymore as you won't be able to miss-click on ground and effectively not attack when you want to attack. This alone would do a lot to make melee better without making it worse design wise.

abija

Prophet
And a lot of melee changes, not only number changes to skills but mechanical changes like animation canceling, instant movement skills.
It just happens ranged benefit MORE from those :p

It is impossible for Path of Exile to incentivize slower pace tactical gaming because of the way the item drops are set up currently.
The problem is their league mechanics PUNISH non blitz gameplay.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Cautiously optimistic. Music is incredible as always. Never was a big fan of melee, but the overhaul certainly solves most melee issues (i.e. getting auto-splash in a small radius, better hit-feedback, "removing" namelocking altogether, animation canceling)

What I find most interesting is GGG trying to make abilities more telegraphed in the early game to teach players that dodging telegraphed abilities lets you avoid damage more consistently. This might lead to more improvement on that end in the future, and could eventually see some major overhauls for 4.0 that makes damage more predictable and allows good players to not die as long as they utilize their dodge-abilities well. I'm not sure how that meshes with the concept of 50 mobs on a screen and the overload of animations that just clutter the screen so much that you are almost unable to identify the big ones (haku/hillock slam for example) in the midst of fighting mobs.
They could potentially reduce mob-density, make drops more meaningful and PoE could become a more skill-based game that relies on players dodging out of dangers way in addition to their regular defenses. I think I'd like that very much.

Looking at the new models, some of them are much higher quality than the player-ones, so if we can expect that level of quality for player-characters in 4.0 that would be pretty cool as well. PoE isnt a bad looking game at all, but player characters/NPCs look kinda out of place after all the graphical updates we got over the last years.

Screenshot1.png
I'd hit it.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Apparently the animation canceling/hit feedback goes deeper than what people might initially envision, at least according to Tarke (who probably has reliable insider information). This sounds really damn nice both for players to use themselves, as well as for fighting bosses particularly when you're melee.

He goes on to talk about how even "namelocking" to a specific enemy makes you hit everything the animation swings through, so namelocking for all intents and purposes does not exist anymore. They talk about it in great depth in the Baeclast episode they did with Johnathan.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
The dev in baeclast podcast said you can cancel animation during windup too. If that's the case, what the actual fuck are they smoking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom