Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codexer's Buying Behaviour

How'd you buy your games?

• Always pirate, fuck the devs

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Pirate first, then buy it at full price when I like it

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Always buy a game at full price if I like it

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Always just buy games when they go on sale

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Always preorder because I am retadred and I love wasting my money

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Pirate first, buy it on sale (the high IQ choice)

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • I haven't bought/pirated a game in years and I only replay my old favourites endlessly

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I play mostly on the ps4 these days, and I pre order most of the games I want to play, with the exception of sales.

My last pre orders worked out amazingly well, no regrets, God of War, horizon, persona, dragon quest, division 2, days Gone.

cosmicray

Savant
I'm not playing dozens of games per month to even think about pirating. Thus, buying the game full price is also not a problem, but I mostly buy at sales.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Always just buy games when they go on sale

Haven't pirated since my Amiga days, when I got thrown pirated games at me.
Except when supporting some small publisher (like Triumph Studios before they were bought out), I haven't paid full price for a game in over 20 years. Why pay to be a Beta tester?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I just get games on GOG from time to time. My spending is way down from years past, mainly because the gaming landscape has turned into a huge garbage dump. My time and my money have to be spent more cautiously. And I haven't got anything on console in probably 3 or 4 years when I went on a PS3 kick.

DraQ

Arcane
I don't play that many games and I don't necessarily need to play stuff on day one, so I don't even pirate "demo" myself anymore. I rely for the others to do so and give me material to make informed buying decisions.
Since I rarely get new games, I don't care that much about being on sale and I will happily pay more if it gets me a superior (GOG) version.

Poll misses the typical codexian "never buy, always pirate, then bitch about game industry not catering to my tastes".
It's like #1, but edgier and more retarded.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I usually wait for sale, unless I absolutely want to support developers with day 1 purchase.
Usually check demo, let's play videos and some forum commentary before purchasing.

I consider abandonware fair game to download.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I always preorder the most expensive special edition based on IGN previews and Twitch influencer hype and end up disappointed and demanding a Gamer revolt against AAA publishers afterwards. After the outrage has settled, I eagerly jump on the next hype train.

Because I am a Gamer, and I always will be.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I mostly buy and play indie / small studio games and those deserve my money if they are good. No need to pirate with steam's refund policy. I do preoder some niche console games but here a preoder is non-binding and you pay when you pick it up from the store so there's no reason not to

Aemar

Arcane
Left the pirate-infested high seas ages ago and never looked back. These days I'm always on jew mode, buying only during sales, unless I'm really convinced some small dev studio has released something worth the full price.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Once steam became a solid enough platform, I stopped pirating anything. Before then it was pirate -> buy properly if I end up liking it.

The much-increased convenience of the legal means of buying and downloading games online (plus possible refunds) pretty much made piracy unnecessary for me. Hope it stays that way, but who knows.
Publishers seem to want to alienate customers as much as possible... They're probably the number 1 driver of piracy right after people in some nations not having enough disposable income to keep buying normally.

I buy full-price now if a game interests me or if I want to support the dev. I even started buying those silly supreme/supporters-editions at times if I like the devs. Rare though.
Let's play vids are usually what I check first before buying. Don't care about the let's player as such, I just want to see enough of the game to make a decision.
Nostalgia reviewers also sometimes get me to buy old games I missed in the past, or new source-ports or HD editions or whatever.

Buy on sale if I'm not sure of the game or if it's on sale right now and I also want to play it right now. Rare.

Occasionally buy old games I don't really want to replay but liked back in the day (where the dev probably doesn't get any of the money/studios/owners have changed etc) on sale in bulk, just to maybe help reinforce the idea that there is a market still for that stuff.

ultra loser

Scholar
Never pay more than 5 euro for a video game.
It's hard since they stopped doing -90% discounts on the most popular drm store so I just pirate more to stand by my rule.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Most of the time I pirate the game if it's possible. I usually pirate it as a sort of demo, so if really like the game I'll go and buy it, if not I'll just keep playing the pirated version until I find I am done with the game.
I always try to buy a game on sale or in 3rd party sellers that present lower prices - I also am not willing to lay down more than 30/35 euros for a game.
I only pre-order a game if I really believe it's going to be very good. But these are extremely rare occasions. And even in these situations I try to find the cheapest key possible. The last game I pre-ordered a game was DMC5.
Obviously I only pirate or play game's that peak my interest. To do so I usually watch some gameplay videos, try to find worthwhile reviews and finally the opinion of Codexers who are known to have :obviously: tastes.

DemonKing

Arcane
Haven't pirated a game since the old Commodore 64/Apple II days when I was a penniless school student - I would rather support the developers these days, particularly since it is relatively easy today to see a game in action before you buy. I will buy a game I'm interested in on Day 1 (particularly multiplayer games where the playerbase long term is not always guaranteed) but will always shop around for the best deal possible. Other games I might make the assessment to hold off buying until it hits $20 or so.

I actually rarely finish games these days due to kids/work etc but like to try as many as possible to stay current with the gaming zeitgeist.

Generic-Giant-Spider

"I'll wait for a sale in six months."

That mindset lasts a grand total of 15 minutes before I cave in.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Haven't pirated a game since the old Commodore 64/Apple II days when I was a penniless school student - I would rather support the developers these days, particularly since it is relatively easy today to see a game in action before you buy. I will buy a game I'm interested in on Day 1 (particularly multiplayer games where the playerbase long term is not always guaranteed) but will always shop around for the best deal possible. Other games I might make the assessment to hold off buying until it hits $20 or so.

I actually rarely finish games these days due to kids/work etc but like to try as many as possible to stay current with the gaming zeitgeist.

Pirating games in the Apple II days? Holy Crap, we're you by chance also trying to crack into WOPR and convince Joshua to play you Global Thermonuclear War?

DemonKing

Arcane
Pirating games in the Apple II days? Holy Crap, we're you by chance also trying to crack into WOPR and convince Joshua to play you Global Thermonuclear War?

Sorry not me - and neither was in Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Ladyhawke (sadly).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I bought all my games since I started working. Sometimes I'll look for deals or get them on a sale but if a game is new and I know I'll like it I don't mind paying 60, 70 for it. That's a great deal. Going to the cinema here costs 10 bucks for the ticket and 10 for the popcorn and a game keeps me entertained much longer.

Sometimes I'll refund a game if I don't like it: Cogmind, Original Sin 2.

It's extremely rare that I regret a purchase because I tend to research them for a while and read about games a lot. My last purchase was the Battle Brothers DLC. It's good.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I was buying games for a while but now I'm back to pirating unless there's some online component I care about or the game is really cheap. I got burned too much by games that everyone says are really good, but that I end up not liking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom