Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Since we first announced World of Warcraft Classic, we’ve seen questions about spell batching. While we never really eliminated spell batching in WoW, we did change how (and how often) we process batches of actions coming from players, so you’re less likely to notice that processing in today’s game. We’ve been working to ensure that in WoW Classic, the gameplay of activating spells and effects will not differ from the experience of playing original WoW.

It was relatively common in the original game to see a warrior Pummel a mage who simultaneously and successfully Polymorphed the warrior. The mage suffered Pummel damage but no spell-school lock, because the mage didn’t get interrupted. This could seem paradoxical, but it could happen because the Pummel and Polymorph were both in the same batch, and were both valid actions at the start of the batch. For the most part, things like that don’t happen in modern WoW, but they still can. We’ve made improvements to batch frequency, and the game is much more responsive than it used to be. Still, if you manage to get both a Pummel and a Polymorph into a tiny processing window in modern WoW, you’ll experience the same behavior as in original WoW.

As with many other areas of WoW Classic, authenticity is our primary concern. It used to be the norm that combat flow and PvP balance were defined and tuned in a game where spell messages were resolved less frequently. There was a single game loop that processed all messages sent and received every server tick. Nowadays, the game processes multiple loops for messages of differing priorities. Spell casts are high priority, and have been for a long time.

For WoW Classic, we’re moving spell casts to a low-priority loop that will cause them to be processed at the frequency that best fits how the game actually played in version 1.12. Two mages will be able to Polymorph each other somewhat reliably, resulting in two sheep nervously pacing around at range. Two warriors will be able to Charge one another, and the end result will be both warriors standing stunned in each other’s original location.

We think it’ll be fun to see those sorts of things happening again.

Parabalus

Arcane
aXmXiJSXd-ObDmcxRbPhRCdc3BoZZP0oHluYhmPKqXE.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It seems like they'll change a lot of things, the most concerning gameplay is that you won't be able to /sit to force crits anymore, which not only stifles creativity and skill, but also the leveling time for Paladins and Warriors. Other changes include the new raid frames, new shadows (if you want them), smoother responsiveness and maybe other things I'm forgetting now.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This is a very unsettling feeling. You've worked your ass off for years to get where you are. You have the money now, it's not like back in 2004, begging mom to buy a timecard. And then you face a situation where all the money in the world can't buy you a beta access. And this just makes me feel so powerless...

Seethe

Arbiter
It seems like they'll change a lot of things, the most concerning gameplay is that you won't be able to /sit to force crits anymore, which not only stifles creativity and skill, but also the leveling time for Paladins and Warriors. Other changes include the new raid frames, new shadows (if you want them), smoother responsiveness and maybe other things I'm forgetting now.

The /sit thing was ridiculously stupid to be honest. There has to be a better way

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-classic-not-a-bug-list/175887

Lacrymas

Arcane
It allows groups with good gear to push not only the DPS but also the healers to the limit. At one point, quite fast I might add, healing becomes a non-issue and you start spamming flash heal, being able to push it more is good. I still don't know what they intend to do in regards to raiding, 1.12 talents vs anything that isn't Naxx is a joke. If /sit was never able to force stuff like Reckoning (which I'm pretty sure it was able to, since Lord Kazzak was killed that way by that paladin), it should be made to. It raises the skill cap, you take more damage, but you get more DPS. This is a technique that can only be used by the best guilds anyway, so it doesn't affect 95% of players.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If /sit was never able to force stuff like Reckoning (which I'm pretty sure it was able to, since Lord Kazzak was killed that way by that paladin), it should be made to. It raises the skill cap, you take more damage, but you get more DPS. This is a technique that can only be used by the best guilds anyway, so it doesn't affect 95% of players.

It never did proc on crit stuff. Not only now Blizzard has verified it 100% there is also evidence like wowwiki specifically stating it doesn't work from their 2005/2006 revisions

Parabalus

Arcane
If /sit was never able to force stuff like Reckoning (which I'm pretty sure it was able to, since Lord Kazzak was killed that way by that paladin), it should be made to. It raises the skill cap, you take more damage, but you get more DPS. This is a technique that can only be used by the best guilds anyway, so it doesn't affect 95% of players.

It never did proc on crit stuff. Not only now Blizzard has verified it 100% there is also evidence like wowwiki specifically stating it doesn't work from their 2005/2006 revisions

It used to work, but was changed in a patch prior to 1.12.

Changing it back would lead to more warrior domination of dps charts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I found a thread that says it doesn't proc off of auto attack crits, but it does of ability crits while sitting down. I can't find information about whether it ever proced off of auto attacks. But it can proc off of auto attacks if you spam sit/stand repeatedly, like in this video. It's a server lag thing and it might be fixed in Classic.

Parabalus

Arcane
They changed a bunch of things about /sit.

Used to be the case that if you were stunned while sitting (eating) you would only stand up after it wore off, eating crits during the duration.

From the thread, if they really capped the charges at 4, it's kinda moot anyway.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, but the whole point is leveling for pallies. Warriors can always benefit and that's what's more important.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You also need to perfect the art of making various forms of the ":O" face for EPIC and HILARIOUS reaction video compilations put together by people marred by such a crippling loneliness you would get depression from being in their vicinity as if they carry some sort of unholy aura of rejection.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I hate streamers. They should be banned from playing vanilla WoW. They'll just ruin it with their armies of sycophants. Anyway I'll be playing a Horde rogue on launch. Not going to rush to 60 or anything, take my time to level professions and stuff. I know a bunch of people who will be rolling characters on launch so it will be fun to get in on the ground floor at the start of vanilla.

J1M

Arcane
I will have an alliance mage. Seems fitting since I was horde the first time around.

May also try a dwarf priest or rogue for OP racial spells.

For those playing casters: remember that a wand is your auto attack.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
They're basing classic off 1.12 and by then reck bomb had been nerfed to oblivion anyway.

For those playing casters: remember that a wand is your auto attack.
Here's a flashback for you. Wands didn't auto attack until 1.5, before that you had to click them every time you wanted to fire.

Early raids with 1.12 talents and current level theorycrafting are going to be so easy. On Nostalrius my guild cleared Rag in 2 weeks and that was without a full 40 since we were still recruiting (it takes 2 weeks because you need to do a quest chain to summon him). A month later we were stomping Ony with 2 groups of 25 or so using mains and alts and cruising through MC in like 90 minutes without anyone being close to fully geared. Really think they could have done a better job with this, but people will probably play it anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom