Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Ethics of Baldur's Gate 2 Romances

JDR13

Arcane
You guys weren't aware that Jaheira's last name is Targaryen?

Theldaran

Liturgist
B-but... incest is wrong.

Whether it's wrong or not is besides the point and a different conversation entirely, if they are comfortable with that, I don't care. It's also technically not incest, it's kind of like sleeping with your adopted mother/sister.

Well if Viconia is the cougar, Jaheira is obviously the MILF (though no children of her have been acknowledged), she should be older than you. But that is that. You forge strong bonds fighting your way through the first game and that justifies, in my opinion, that romantic feelings arise.

I don't see the romance that out of place. But maybe you're right that they didn't think things through too much. Still the romance itself as material should be A-OK.

Mikeal

Arcane
Closeness facilitates romance. I don't find it that strange that Jaheira falls in love with a hero such as Gorion's Ward, a hero greater than Khalid even. GW represents everything Jaheira fights for. And he can be hot and charismatic, too, why not? Of course, this wouldn't be the case if you were playing an Evil bastard, but then you should just cut off the romance at the first chance and get Jaheira off from the party too.

I don't know the details of her romance because I've never completed it, but it seems you have to work your way really hard into her pants. So it isn't quite "jumping on your dick as soon as possible". She starts the romance right after meeting Gaelen, so at the very start, but at first she is quite distant.

Note that Jaheira has race restrictions for her romance (at least originally) so she isn't getting off her high horse just for you. You need to really seduce her and if you're a "disgusting", say, gnome, she won't even look at you.

Lol manlets suffer even in fantasy.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's not about coding, it's about story logic.

MC is gathering large amount of money to search for Imoen. By logic the party would exploit their resource wherever they can. They would approach Harper's hold in the Docks sooner than later, thus push Jaheira's quest forward in pretty quick time. either by trying to find illegal high paying jobs from the thieves guild, or cowled wizard's job of hunting for valygar.

After that fiasco at the Harper's Hold, events would unfold. 1month is reasonable if party visit the Docks 1st thing in chapter 2. 1 year is understandable if they play around with outer areas and basically just ignore Xzar quest. Understandably as that peacock mage is noone that can make people doing him a favor .

Aaaaaanyway, that means MC try to get into a widow's panties while the dead corpse of her husband is still warm. Or to be proper about it: a widow open her legs while her husband's dead corpse is still warm.
Well she is part elf and part druid, and I guess she is really attracted to people that are part Gods. Nothing wrong with it :)

Theldaran

Liturgist
Also by the time you bed Jaheira fucking finally, months should have passed from Khalid's death, so it's not "while his corpse is warm".

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also by the time you bed Jaheira fucking finally, months should have passed from Khalid's death, so it's not "while his corpse is warm".
And your character is of blood of Bhaal, God of Murder. It is not like warm corpses disgust you or something.

Yosharian

Arcane
Still Aerie is somewhat annoying (but I find Mazzy or Anomen more annoying) and pedo material of sorts, if you like to assert your will and dominance over a weak girl, you have some kind of problem.
What the fuck is wrong with you.

I don't even like Aerie but that is absolutely ridiculous.

Delterius

Arcane
the past 5 pages of this thread:

:what:
I'm disappointed there was no mention of how the novels dealt with Jaheira romance.

Lacrymas shame on you, I expected more from you.

Now on unrelated news, Saerileth NPC mod and how its creator went out of the way to reveal your charisma dump statting incel ass to the world by robbing your ring of human influence and cutting of Saerileth's romance path in the cradle.

Somehow this is more telling about this game and its fanbase than anything else I know.

Recommended further reading: that thread in gamefaqs where a hero goes through every NPC mod created in a single playthrough.

Yosharian

Arcane
I don't know why everyone is so butthurt about Khalid. How long is someone supposed to 'grieve' before they are allowed to have feelings for someone else? It's not as if Jaheira jumps on you immediately, and she shows genuine grief for Khalid.

It's almost as if you some of you have never even been with a woman before, but that can't be true...

Delterius

Arcane
I don't know why everyone is so butthurt about Khalid. How long is someone supposed to 'grieve' before they are allowed to have feelings for someone else? It's not as if Jaheira jumps on you immediately, and she shows genuine grief for Khalid.

It's almost as if you some of you have never even been with a woman before, but that can't be true...
ya but have you read the novels and how the pc has the hots for jaheira when she gets caught up in a web and a spider tears her clothes around her breast area

i forgot the point i was making

laclongquan

Arcane

It's almost like you have no shred of social mores at all but that can't be true.

To prove it: you can go asking people around you this question
"how long(days, weeks, months) should a widow stay celibate after her husband breath his final?" Try to get specific period of time
Ask your parents to have an idea of older generation.
Ask your friends to have an idea of your generation. Bonus point if you have some married friend (ie you are matured to a certain point).
That should teach you something about your social mores

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ok, maybe I'm glad I skipped BG entirely. I was rather annoyed at toyed romances in Dark Queen of Krynn and Treasures of the Savage Frontier tbh. I wanted to kill shit and find epic loot; not make out.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
This thread is even gayer than I imagined it could be when I clicked on it to laugh at some fags.

a submissive woman (not only in bed) is a popular fantasy for many straight men. I personally don't get it, it's kinda creepy, but there you go. Maybe it's the desire to protect a seemingly weak woman.

Creepiness is all about being short and ugly and low testosterone. A tall, handsome and virile man can do anything he wants and not be creepy.

if you like to assert your will and dominance over a weak girl, you have some kind of problem.

There's no such thing as equality in a relationship. If you aren't in charge over your woman, then she is leading you. Men prefer the former to the latter. For one thing, she isn't cucking you with stronger men.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Dress them up in jester outfits and have them package presents for some forsaken holiday? Have them make baked goods under whip and threat of being licked by some mutant pigman?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom