Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THQ Nordic acquires Piranha Bytes

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wait why does codex suddenly see this news as negative? Wasn't the news about THQ Nordic acquiring Expeditions IP received well?
I'm not keen on the idea of one publisher owning all the good RPGs, otherwise known as the non-American RPGs.

Non-american includes JRPGs, and I don't think it should.
Make that "yurojank shitRPGS", also known as good RPGs.

Sir Dupre

Educated
pbendrpk4s.jpg

Modron

Arcane
THQ has been a decent publisher the past decade right? Granted I still can't quiet that notion they could pull a Titan Quest on Elex 2 even if it is probably quite far long in development.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
THQ has been a decent publisher the past decade right? Granted I still can't quiet that notion they could pull a Titan Quest on Elex 2 even if it is probably quite far long in development.

THQ was an american video game publisher that died.
THQ Nordic is an Austrian video game rights holder collecting mid budget European developers.

Basically the old Nordic Games bought the dead THQ brand, renamed THQ Nordic, and is now buying other dead things to revive.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The first thing we are going to get is a console port of all PB games with new bugs because THQ Nordic is famous for those.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The first thing we are going to get is a console port of all PB

And we should give a fuck why?
Because consoles are peasant shit and don't deserve to be graced with Gothic greatness reeeeeee. Or something equally autistic.

But since THQN is what it is, it seems reasonable to expect they bought the IP just to milk few nostalgia based re-releases, and consoles seem like a prime target.

Anyways, why isn't this front page news?

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I assume you're referring to JoWood in your post and not to PB. Nonetheless I'd like to remind everyone that the add-on to Gothic 3 titled "Forsaken Gods" wasn't created by Piranha Bytes, but by some Indian studio.

Yeah, I was replying to Pretty's post regarding stuff JoWood did with the brand.

questionable quality of the game aside, even after all these patches it still manages to run like dogshit.

I replayed it two years ago or so, on an oldish laptop, and everything ran butter-smooth. And I had a blast! After the release, I complained a lot about how different it is from its predecessors, but coming back to it with no expectations about how it 'should' play, made me appreciate it a whole lot.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'm not sure if I am surprised or if I expected this. So far THQ Nordic hasn't really done anything bad in my book. I think I'm okay with it, THQN's long term plan appears to be still the same, keeping on making reasonably budgeted games in niche genres and dig up old IPs that had decent popularity in their time. I expect little to change, but there will probably be an Elex 2 announcement soon, maybe at E3.

can we please get a decent (remake) of Gothic 3???
That makes no economic sense, to remake a 13 year old game that was poorly received with even the fans of the series. Gothic 3 was a mistake, it is unsalvageable.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yes? You can make prequels or just skip enough years in lore that the last game doesn't matter as much.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Maybe they will put some money and marketing in the games? We can only hope.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That makes no economic sense, to remake a 13 year old game that was poorly received with even the fans of the series. Gothic 3 was a mistake, it is unsalvageable.

WTF, when's the last time you played it? I did like 3 years ago and I had the time of my life. With the community stuff it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

As for a remake, first - G3 doesn't need any, it still looks serviceable even for graphix whores. And even if it didn't - has there ever been a remake of any western RPG ever? I don't mean the "add some bugs, upscale the resolution and Bob's your uncle" kind like Beamdog shits out, I mean a proper remake like Shadow of Colossus, FF7 or Resident Evil. I don't remember any. Even non-RPG remakes are very rare. Seems it's mostly console Jap games that get those. So no, it's most likely not gonna happen.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Even non-RPG remakes are very rare. Seems it's mostly console Jap games that get those.

Little off-topic: I always found that aspect of japanese gaming culture quite interesting. It seems that they consider older games as part of gaming tradition, so you have to keep the classics alive? Like I said, interesting ... and if a game deserves a remake, than it would be Gothic 1. Just tweak the controls a bit, update the graphics and put out a bit more secret content et vĂłila, perfect game, even now.

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why not both? First Elex 2, then the real Gothic 4.
THQ Nordic (JoWood) made Gothic 2 and Gothic 2 Nacht of the Raven

JoWood held the expansion's English release hostage for 2 years (!) while they were going bankrupt. Fucking slimeballs.
It wouldn't have happened if they were bought out by THQ earlier!

Probably not, THQ was growing and expanding like crazy in the early 2000s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom