Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is it bad design to allow a player to create a nonviable character? (Age of Decadence)

Do you think it's bad design to allow players to create failed builds?

• Yes

Votes: 54 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 181 77.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The worst build I ever made was for Fallout 1. I had just finished my 1st resoundingly successful playthrough with a male tech build with default strength and immediately wanted to do another playthrough so I built a female tech with default strength. Couldn't even survive my first combat encounter with a single radscorpion and quit soon after. Women are weak as anemic kittens in Fallout but at the same time I was in agreement that the game should have allowed me to make a fool of myself thinking I could play with a vagina. So yeah. I support that an RPG should allow you to go full retard in character builds.

huskarls

Scholar
Meta-gaming where the energy weapons are and where vault dweller wants your skill points involves no critical thinking, and is deeply degenerate and oriental gameplay akin to grinding. There are skills like toaster repair in wasteland and diving in deus ex where their niche nature is obvious, as well as there being actual content encountered without gamefaqs. Every area or ability doesn't have to be 'viable' but it should have content rather than being a trap, and be able to be used in a manner involving critical thinking. Even viable skills can have bad design, like speech where you just pick a highlighted dialogue option to win opposed to figuring out without prompt to disguise yourself to use speech or maybe using speech to access a puzzle to solve a situation instead of combat.

Black Angel

Arcane
For exotic crossbows you need to be with the Thieves' Guild (despite crossbows looking like an AG weapon) to get access to their private store. As a matter of fact there are a number of crossbows you simply cannot craft.
Now that I'm replaying the game, I just stumbled on the Fletcher merchant in Maadoran and, turns out he not only sells the exotic crossbows that Teron's TG sells, he also sells the schematics to them.

RickOmbo

Learned
Yes it's. Most of the time, players don't know what to a expect from a new game. For example, on the first playthrough of VtmB you don't know that the game becomes an action game in the last third.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom