Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
GOG needed to make a play, and they're making the "one client to manage all your bullshit" play. Interesting. Will have to see how it works, but since the vast majority give in to exclusives, despite what the Steam fanboys think, I could see a large consumer demand for an all-in-one manager.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So... let's see. Suppose you get a Ubishit game on Steam and then you add it to Galaxy.

Then, you launch it from Galaxy, which launches Steam, which launches Uplay, which launches the game.

I can see the benefits of adding another launcher on top of all the others. :kingcomrade:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is there a way it could launch Steam/Origin/Whatever for DRM purposes but keep it in the background somehow so you don't need to deal with it? That's the best people could hope for, I'd assume.

Also the last few Uplay games I bought on Steam activated straight on Uplay and don't even use Steam at all if I don't want them to, so GOG could take advantage of that.

cosmicray

Savant
And once again, Galaxy is not available on Linux. Now there is no excuse really. The store sells Linux games, but they're supported like shit. Steam, sadly, is a better option.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm not sure I understood this correctly... would this Galaxy2.0 Launcher replace other launchers? So when I have Games on Steam/Ubisoft/Origin/Epic, I could just access them via Galaxy2.0 and install them? None of these other clients needed anymore?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Then, you launch it from Galaxy, which launches Steam, which launches Uplay, which launches the game.
Hey, that's incline, this kind of things actually changed my life.

I explain. I bought HoMM6 on Steam, had to make a Uplay account I think on top of the Steam one then the game would just crash on launch. I also bought a boxed copy of some version of Dragon Age that is unshamefully sold while the game can't work at all (all you can do is download an online version of the game and use the register key that you get with the box). Then I just stopped caring about big publisher gaming altogether and henceforth also avoid anything except for a buying a DRM-free version of a game as much as possible, which is what any sane person would do.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I'm not sure I understood this correctly... would this Galaxy2.0 Launcher replace other launchers? So when I have Games on Steam/Ubisoft/Origin/Epic, I could just access them via Galaxy2.0 and install them? None of these other clients needed anymore?

I guess I found the answer:

https://af.gog.com/forum/general/bg...n_one_place_copy3_f000a/post132?as=1649904300

If you want to get access to any features specific to that platform, (like installing or auto-updating games, cloud saves, etc.), that gaming client will still have to be installed on your PC :)
GOG GALAXY 2.0 will launch the other client for you in the background.

What a useless piece of shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morkar Left

Nah, definitely a step in the right direction. If you can access everything from the gog launcher and the other launchers stay in the background it's finally a good solution to have all your games organized in one place. Better than having to look for a game in your Steam library, your gog library, your d-fend library and whatever shit you guys use.
I just hope it can list the game even if not installed on your pc.

Dux

Arcane
ShamelessHeartyBrahmanbull-size_restricted.gif

But hey I'll get to customise my game library finally and hopefully get it straightened out the way I want. Maybe.

I don't know. I just don't know. Maybe it'll turn out great. We'll see. Fingers crossed. :|

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some people try to downplay this news, but this is a huge deal. I can't count how many times I heard that it would be great if we had only one launcher, which is connected to every other libraries. GOG Galaxy 2 will be just that and it will be great if they can pull it off. Obviously if you want to use a specific feature of that other platform, you have to download their client, circumventing that would be impossible. But I don't care about achievements and stuff, so I will be happy if every game would be available to launch from GOG Galaxy.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
A step in the right direction maybe, but unless it can replace other clients at their utmost essential feature (which is installing the game), it's imo not worth. Furthermore I cannot see any progress beyond the point of only importing "friendlists" or "gamelists" to actually installing those other games, because then the other platforms would lose a lot of their "power".

ADL

Prophet
This will have to be designed well to suit their interests but if they can design something that will help them be successful at their DRM-free storefront initiative and combine the many PC gaming launchers? This is big.

Not to mention it's a damn good looking launcher that I'll use on that basis alone. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Steam overhaul UI we've seen.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom