Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
never understood this codex meme of "Trash mobs".

if the combat is good, there is no such thing as a trash mob.
Trash mob - something that takes very little thinking power to get through, might be included for pacing and/or resource management reasons

Filler - trash mobs with little to no distinctive qualities that are spammed on a map to pad out game length

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
"Trash encounter" is an encounter that takes no effort or tactics, it is something you just mop up that isn't actually an unique encounter. A lot of rtwp is full of these as "padding".

but if the combat is good, then what does it matter? you enjoy the combat, therefore no encounter is bad. An encounter that "takes no effort or tactics" is indicative of a bad combat system, I think.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"Trash encounter" is an encounter that takes no effort or tactics, it is something you just mop up that isn't actually an unique encounter. A lot of rtwp is full of these as "padding".

but if the combat is good, then what does it matter? you enjoy the combat, therefore no encounter is bad. An encounter that "takes no effort or tactics" is indicative of a bad combat system, I think.

The difference is between, deliberate and challenging combat that requires you to pay attention versus a literal chore. Let's say in a game a proper encounter as enemies, is 3 fighters and 3 rogues with crossbows in a narrow corridor with 2 of the rogues in one room. You need to do actually enact tactics here let's say as a basis. If you pass this corridor and it is just a small room with 3 fighters, this is a trash fight. You just literally waste time. It doesn't matter if it is the best combat system in the world, if the combat is not challenging and just there to take time or attrition with no encounter design whatsoever it is a trash fight.

One thing dumpsterfire does well is not having much in the way of trash fights at all. Except some of the Port Maje ruins stuff I guess. For example in Port Maje you face the gorecci street thugs, the boar fight in the ruins, the drake fight in the ruins, the skeleton mages and warriors in the ruins. These are all actual fights where it takes tactics and strategy to win. You then have some random imps and beetles in some of the rooms. These are trash fights, they take no effort, just time. They are chore.

Under the ruins again, the fight against bunch of imps and spiders next to gunpowder barrel is an actual encounter. The one with 2 golems is waste of time. See the difference here?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
FreeKaner

I fully agree that encounter design is of paramount importance. Enemy encounters should be appropriately handled so as to make sure the game's difficulty curve is aligned with the power curve (of which itemization is part of).

It is bad encounter design, for example, to have an end-game area where enemies are easier to defeat than the enemies you faced at the beginning of the game, because the game's encounter design failed to take into account the power curve.

I think some Codexers confuse the concept/meme of "trash mobs" with the quantity of combat, and that I do disagree with; whether there is a lot of combat, or little of it, neither necessarily has to do with the quality of the combat. Once again, (and once again I say I agree that) enc. design = paramount!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Trash fight is not amount of combat. A game could have combat every other step and it wouldn't necessarily be a trash fight. Yes I agree that some people seem to dislike any combat but boss fights and the like, which is a different issue however and beyond the scope.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Quantity is important when it comes to encounter design. You can have a brilliant design, but if you have to fight it 50 times it will eventually becoming boring.

You can only put so much effort into encounter design and the more mobs you have on the map, the less thoughts you can put into each of the encounter.

In Kingmaker it's pretty obvious that they just put very little effort into 95% of the encounter because there are so many of them.

Fairfax

Arcane
Unfortunately we were unable to get NVidia to provide us support for this issue.

Tsk tsk, what's the point of being a Microsoft studio if you still get treated like a bum
Josh Sawyer has spoken in the past about how being an acquired studio is the worst of both worlds. Fairfax can provide the direct quote, I don't care enough about it anymore.
Josh Sawyer said:
i had a lot of problems with the design and gameplay choices bioware made, but EA really just shot the company in the head with a bolt gun.

publisher buyouts: not even once.
being a publisher-owned dev and away from the publisher HQ combines the worst elements of being independent and publisher-owned. the publisher has no trust in what you're doing and hurls mid-level managers and supervisors at you while they main complete authority over resources and the existence of the studio/project as a whole. because publisher-owned dev studios are also part of a larger pool of employees, the publisher has more incentive to treat those studios and their devs like fungible goods. that's how they treat independent devs as well, but independent devs can at least attempt to use competition to their advantage (usually failing in the process).

Quillon

Arcane
Where is MS HQ? :P They have that new Initiative studio and Inxile rather close to each other, they shouldn't be too far away from attention I guess.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Additionally,
quoted for posterity you'll never work in this industry again after Bethesda buys out obsidian for failing to meet fallout: new Miami benchmarks
the mobile market and emerging mid-core market hopefully mean that devs who are chewed up in the grinder of QUADRUPLE A publisher-driven game dev can flip everyone off and start small companies

Though given the money he's making, I doubt we'll be seeing the Real Sawyersidian off-shoot.

Where is MS HQ? :P They have that new Initiative studio and Inxile rather close to each other, they shouldn't be too far away from attention I guess.
Redmond Washington, close to Seattle. :M

Prime Junta

never understood this codex meme of "Trash mobs".

if the combat is good, there is no such thing as a trash mob.

ToEE has excellent combat but most of it is against trash mobs. Which is why I never managed to quite finish it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So now that everything's done... What does the Codex suggest for a new playthrough? RTwP or TB? Does TB feel natural and do the mechanics fit it?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
This is probably nothing, but in The Ultimate Challenge folder it says this

The Final Megaboss

It would be awesome if there was a secret megaboss you only encounter at the end of The Ultimate. Weren't there supposed to be five megabosses originally anyways?

The Real Fanboy
This new Woedica content is getting way too Lara Jean. I'm dying

giphy.gif

GPzGWVu.png

eR7fQJb.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Imagine some poor soul actually getting all the way to Ukaizo only to find out that you have to beat the secret Eothas bossfight to complete The Ultimate :D
That would be particularly cruel since the honorable and smart way of actually completing this is to have an "all the boxes ticked except iron man" save file where you do everything perfectly first, then you do it on the real save.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That doesn't strike me as particularly honourable
Sawyer's text on gamer bushido discourages backing up your iron man save, he said nothing about having a practice run save. Can't succeed without practice you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom