Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So i just finished AoD

V_K

Arcane
Ah shit... any cyberpunk cRPG recommendation?

Deus Ex
I'm thinking more of top-down isometric RPGs

There is only Shadowrun.
Well, shit.... gotta wait for Copper Dreams, then.
There's Invisible Inc. if you don't mind procedurally generated levels.
But I'm not sure what your hesitation about Shadowrun is, they're decent to good games, especially Dragonfall.

Black Angel

Arcane
But I'm not sure what your hesitation about Shadowrun is, they're decent to good games, especially Dragonfall.
I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps I'm not exactly in the mood at the time when I first try it. Also, I distinctly remember how the game felt slow and sluggish. The camera felt sluggish, the characters move rather slowly, maybe I didn't fiddle enough with the game's setting or maybe my rig wasn't good enough to run it smoothly.

V_K

Arcane
That's definitely your rig. The loading screens between areas can be long (it's Unity after all), but the movement speed is actually quite good. Better than e.g. in DOS, and very far from the slugfest that are AoD and Underrail.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is only Shadowrun
Are any of the newer shadowrun games worth playing? I have only played the snes and genesis game.

Dragonfall is good, Hong Kong is good but a bit below Dragonfall, Returns is ok but extremely linear, even moreso than the other two (Returns is essentially just a chain of dungeon crawls connected by a story).

Tigranes

Arcane
Dragonfall's the best iteration of three very similar iterations. Combatwise, it's really got nothing on AOD. You pick some skills, there's some branching, everything's pretty easy and obvious but does perform the trappings of decent party based tactical combat.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps I'm not exactly in the mood at the time when I first try it. Also, I distinctly remember how the game felt slow and sluggish. The camera felt sluggish, the characters move rather slowly, maybe I didn't fiddle enough with the game's setting or maybe my rig wasn't good enough to run it smoothly.
It's unity aka shit.

Ah shit... any cyberpunk cRPG recommendation?
Replay UR :troll:
:negative:

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
That's definitely your rig. The loading screens between areas can be long (it's Unity after all), but the movement speed is actually quite good. Better than e.g. in DOS, and very far from the slugfest that are AoD and Underrail.
Ah, that explains it. Though, I don't think AoD and Underrail are slugfest. Both definitely run smoothly in my rig, with AoD getting slow once in a while, but definitely felt more comfortable and playable for me. Guess I really need to get a new rig after all.

It's unity aka shit.
Yeah, why can't these devs optimize their shit properly? Fucking ATOM RPG run smoother, even though my rig still can't handle it in the long run :negative:

Replay UR :troll:
:negative:
I definitely will, once the xpac is released

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

aeroaeko

Learned
OK unironically is this game worth playing or is it just a meme. Sounds good but a bunch of the hardcore autist crowd complaining about how 15 hours of wasted game time is acceptable is putting me off.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
OK unironically is this game worth playing or is it just a meme. Sounds good but a bunch of the hardcore autist crowd complaining about how 15 hours of wasted game time is acceptable is putting me off.
Yes, your post convinces me you'll have tons of fun with it. In fact, buy two! OR THREE! UNIRONICALLY!

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Though, I don't think AoD and Underrail are slugfest. Both definitely run smoothly in my rig
I meant the walking and animations speed - it's much faster in Shadowrun. Framerate-wise they are both fine.
Huh, really? AoD allows me to put animations speed all the way to 4 times the normal, both combat and out-of-combat, and it's part of what makes it so easy for me to replay it way beyond what I can count. Does Shadowrun allows you to do so?

V_K

Arcane
Huh, really? AoD allows me to put animations speed all the way to 4 times the normal, both combat and out-of-combat
Must have been some recent(ish) patch, I don't remember it having this functionality when I played it. It was really a pain to explore the areas without relying on fast travel.
I think SRR default speed is about 2-3 times that of AoD default speed (the version I played at least), so I never felt any need to speed it up.

KMJ

Literate
This game just jerks itself off to an unbearable level about how hardcore and cruel it is. After the second or third, extremely creative "subversion" of RPG themes it gets extremely tiring.
The death messages try to be helpful (?) but I don't think you can actually follow their advice.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game just jerks itself off to an unbearable level about how hardcore and cruel it is. After the second or third, extremely creative "subversion" of RPG themes it gets extremely tiring.
The death messages try to be helpful (?) but I don't think you can actually follow their advice.

Post your build. It’s really not that hard once you’ve learned the system. Are you using crafting? Alchemy? Bombs? Bolas? Nets?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Post your build. It’s really not that hard once you’ve learned the system. Are you using crafting? Alchemy? Bombs? Bolas? Nets? Your brain?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, he's managed to get far enough, so I'd be interested to know at which point he felt he couldn't progress further and why. I'm guessing Caer-Tor because a number of weak fighters couldn't get the second vote as it was easy to miss the dialogue line needed, but I'd like to know for sure.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I got stuck as a fighter once because I betrayed my initial faction (Imperial Guard maybe?) and got to Maadoran without any faction quests to do. I recommend not doing that.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Judging by this review our new friend KMJ couldn't figure out the secret combination of skills needed to beat the game. Looks like he played a smooth-talking fighter. I'm guessing he got stuck either at the mountain pass or in Caer-Tor.
Do you do this "research" every time someone leaves a negative comment about the game?
You mean do I look at the player's achievements because that's what they are there for? Sometimes. A review written after the player quit in frustration tells me half the story, the achievements tell me the other half. While we can't improve AoD's design at this point, we can improve the design of our next game. So where exactly did you get stuck? Caer-Tor or the mountain pass?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom