Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The City of Heroes Thread

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm playing on homecoming, what is this about i24, i25 server etc... thing? What's homecoming on?
Basically, CoX released its patches as "issues", as they'd usually be adding content that would advance the story of the world and it's supposed to be a comic book thing. Issue 23 was the last patch the game was on when it was shut down, issue 24 was the source code that was being developed internally for release and was nearly ready for deployment; that's what was leaked to Leandro by a dev when the shutdown happened, and issue 25 is Leandro's own fork of that source he's built over 8 years on his own private server.

i25 contains numerous balance and content changes that make the game way, way easier than it was intended to be. A determined player can level to 50 and max out their incarnate slots in a few days. You don't even need to do incarnate content to get incarnate materials. You can switch factions by talking to an NPC rather than doing tip missions. I think they removed most types of merits. The cost of merit awards was brought way down for everything. Combined with terrible balance decisions, it's completely trivialized most of the content in the game, which wasn't that hard to begin with.

i24 is the game pretty much in the state it was at when it was shut down, just with the stuff the devs were adding for a new patch.

Homecoming is running i25 and driving its development. Changes to the i25 code get made there since Leandro is a part of that server, and other servers running i25 don't have access to the source so they can really only make trivial changes to what's being run. Rebirth is the first i24 server, and with the i24 source being public, server operators will be able to patch it however they want. I really, really don't like the Homecoming devs - the changes they make are completely arbitrary, done in secret, and then forced on the community without feedback. This morning when I joined rebirth there was a GM discussing in the help channel with players what they were going to do about a few things, and how they were going to hold votes to determine what the community wanted for the outcome. The only downside right now is that Rebirth only has around 80 people logged in.
I use Tequila to connect to the homecoming server, can I use it to connect to the rebirth one or does it use a different client?

Would you recommend I switch or just stay in homecoming?
Use Cream Soda instead, or click on options in tequila and add this manifest: https://icanhazchzbrgr.com/Manifests/Rebirth-i24.xml

I would of course recommend playing on Rebirth since Homecoming is Leo's shit easymode server and Rebirth desperately needs more active players.
I registered an account on this website, however I still can't login? Do I need to activate it or something?
https://coh.ourodev.com/
That's for the test server, you want https://play.cityofheroesrebirth.com/create for Rebirth.

deama

Prophet
Ok, well I just started on the rebirth and I thought it was going to be very similiar, but no, the rebirth one just feels better? Like, I'm enjoying it more; though maybe cause I went with a different build? Idk

Giving this a try. You guys hero or villain? Does it matter?
If you're going homecoming then start with blue, that's where most people seem to go to, at least for the EU servers. It doesn't matter though cause you can talk to an npc and change.

If on rebirth you'll have to go through a big chain quest to switch sides, there also might a cooldown on that too.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok, well I just started on the rebirth and I thought it was going to be very similiar, but no, the rebirth one just feels better? Like, I'm enjoying it more; though maybe cause I went with a different build? Idk
The community is a lot better. I had a blast grouping with people yesterday.

If on rebirth you'll have to go through a big chain quest to switch sides, there also might a cooldown on that too.
It works like on live, so you can only get 5 tips per 20 hours, and it takes 10 tips to change your alignment. So it'd be 6 days to go from full hero to full villain, or vice versa, although you can start grouping with the other faction once you're a rogue/vigilante and that only takes one shift and you technically switch sides at 2 shifts.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Alignment

I'm blueside on Rebirth, if there's enough interest we can set up a supergroup or whatever.

hello friend

Arcane
I've got a blue on Rebirth, name's Brudda. It's the most uncreative character you can imagine. I hit things.

What's the Praetor/Loyalist stuff about? I made a character in that city too, Praetor side. Is there any reason to play the one over the other? I mean hero/villain versus praetor/loyalist.

Xor

Arcane
I've got a blue on Rebirth, name's Brudda. It's the most uncreative character you can imagine. I hit things.

What's the Praetor/Loyalist stuff about? I made a character in that city too, Praetor side. Is there any reason to play the one over the other? I mean hero/villain versus praetor/loyalist.
That's referred to as goldside; it's their alternate reality where the heroes are evil and they formed an oppressive authoritarian dictatorship. The lore and missions are kind of interesting from what I remember; you play your first 20 levels there and then are forced to pick either hero or villain, although you can go right back because there are 20-30 and 30-40 zones in Praetoria. But the mobs there are jerks with -regen and -stamina which is kind of a dick thing to do to low level players, and hardly anybody does goldside because they don't get access to Death From Below which is how everybody gets their first 10-20 levels nowadays.

Anyway it's worth doing once or twice if you care about the universe, but I'd just stick to the main game if you just want to play.

Xor

Arcane
So is this better than DCUO? :troll:
Mostly, yes, though travel powers can't go as fast as in DCUO.

Just checked the CoH wiki, does not seem like there is an archetype for high tech power armor heroes.
Archetypes are more about what you want to do, not how you do it. You could easily make a technology blaster and deck him out in power armor costume pieces, or whatever.

Sykar

Arcane

Just checked the CoH wiki, does not seem like there is an archetype for high tech power armor heroes.
Archetypes are more about what you want to do, not how you do it. You could easily make a technology blaster and deck him out in power armor costume pieces, or whatever.

Power Armor would be someone who has good offense and defense. From what I can gather Blaster would be a glass cannon. Funny enough Champions Online has an archetype with that exact name and theme. Too bad the game is so heavily fortified behind a paywall that it is hardly worth the effort downloading, which is why I stopped many years ago after only a few hours.

Lhynn

Arcane
Theres the sentinel in i25, which has acess to primary ranged and secondary defensive. Its pretty much ironman.

Xor

Arcane

Power Armor would be someone who has good offense and defense.
So a brute basically.

Sykar

Arcane

Power Armor would be someone who has good offense and defense.
So a brute basically.

Brute is mostly melee so no.

deama

Prophet
I will give this a try. Are you guys all on the same server?
Some are on homecoming, some are in rebirth I think. I switched back over to homecoming cause after talking to the community for a bit, I got the impression they aren't going to change much if anything in the rebirth server. For example I got bashed for mentioning that the travel powers were too slow and a cap increase would be nice. Plus homecoming is more populated, especially if you're in US.

Xor

Arcane
It's your loss if you want to play on Homecoming. While they're probably going to be able to make changes in the future, they have a much smaller coding team, and the whole point of the i24 codebase is that it's open source and it's being developed with future content and expandability in mind. The idea is that this new codebase will allow server creators to set up things pretty much however they want, including making it easy to add mods and new missions, taskforces, etc, although they're still at the point where SCORE has more features. As you'd expect since it had an 8 year head start. But somebody is going to make an i24 funserver with an insane xp rate and travel powers turned up 500% or something, just give it time.

Also homecoming is run by a bunch of dicks who think the game should be trivially easy so if you're on that side, I guess you can fuck off and play with them.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I made a Hero on Rebirth. Magic Defender Radiation prime Electric secondary. I've just done some tooling around so far. LMK if we start something up.

Sykar

Arcane
Just made it to level 4 questing in Atlas Park. Some things puzzle me. I got a taser dart power but it is labeled as "temporary". Do I lose this soon? I also got a couple of travel powers like Prestige Slide and Rocket Jump, though that one has a long CD, Self Destruct. Furthermore I can summon a couple of pets, are they just cosmetic or are they helpful? At the moment the game feels too easy for that though the rapid respawns are annoying. I also got over 800 Influence but no idea what to do with it at my level. There was an Inspiration tab above my powers but it is gone now. Now the game asks me to chose between two contacts. Does this have any long terms repercussions or are they just fluff so you can play different paths as a hero? Help would be welcome.
Game is fun so far, character creation was amazing, might play it casually a few times a week with a handful more heroes, probably pet, scrapper and some kind of tank.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom