Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Played multiple eroge games which are considered the best by some people.Well,most of them just suck.There are only two exceptions,kamidori alchemy meister and the rance series.Everything else seems to follow these steps for failure:

-Instead of focusing on one good gameplay style they mash multiple systems and styles together without any consideration how do these system work.Pro hint,if you see any rts eroge stay away from it.
Special mention goes to evenicle and its idiotic bp system which means you will barely be able to do more then 2 spells/abilities before spamming attack/wait.

-No focus on level design whatsoever,most levels are just set pieces.This is made even worse with stuff like bunny black and other dungeon crawlers which fail at creating a proper dungeon.

-Fusing eroge elements and gameplay is a mess most of the time.Stuff like monster quest (which has a somewhat interesting story) falls flat because the eroge stuff is too intertwined into the combat system.

-Some themes just ruin the game regardless of gameplay.

Now for a special mention about eushully,it is a trap.
Kamidori is a amazing game and ikusa megami zero is fine,but everything else is just terrible.Here is a great summary of modern eushully:
"
Soukoku no Arterial is alright, but its characters are generally shallow and stereotypical. With some well-done exceptions, though. Items break the gameplay at some point.

Madou Koukaku sounded great in theory, imo, but the execution failed. The worldmap is a railroad down 2.5 lines, no sandbox, and the combat is... pretty meh, even by lax standards.

The Ikusa Megami 1 remake... has flaws in its RPG elements, or the flaws are more apparent than in Verita. The leveling grind later on hurt, too. Story-wise, I'm still salty about saving or not saving Revia making no difference whatsoever, as well as the bromance end. That was plain insulting. Otherwise, I was glad they made it, and the cat burglar may have had quite a bit of potential. No Ecria, though.

Kami no Rhapsody was an utter trainwreck on all levels. Story, characters, RPG character progression, gameplay altogether, interface and, if you ask me, character art.

"The pirate game"... was fundamentally broken, gameplay-wise. 9-squads were utterly unsustainable and the right AoE abilities ridiculously overpowered. Characters were mostly extremely generic, or extremely one-dimensional in how they attempted to break out of it.

Amayui Castle Meister, spriritual successor to Kamidori, has utterly atrocious characters and an imbecilic plot. Gameplay is as often a step back from Kamidori's as it it is a step forward."

You can notice all these flaws not even after 2 hours in the games,with the added benefit of grind being a big problem for each eushully game.
Also eushully games have a weird hatred for aplocale emulator.Most of them refuse to unnistall/install with changing your locale settings.If you want to play eushully games just stick to kamidori meister and maybe castle meister.
Kamidori is fully translated and castle meister has a interface and prologue translation.

So in summary,stick to rance,and go for kamidori meister if you can stomach a large amount of grind.

Last edited:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Crusader Kings 2. Still a great game, even after 7 years of deployment. In context of what Paradox has been up to lately, it may be a 'happy accident' on their part.

Battle Brothers. Reminds me of Neo Scavenger in one sense - it's a really hard game that you keep going back to. In the days of 'hit X button to win game', this is a good thing.

Doom (w/Project Brutality). Because it's Doom, and I'll probably be trying to find some way to play Doom even while laying in a hospital bed dying of liver failure.

the_shadow

Arcane
*Finally* beat Immortal Redneck after clocking about 60 hours in it. Overall a really fun FPS with interesting weapons and classes that all play differently. The only thing is that it's a bit frustrating in regards to boss battles, because you die pretty quickly to their attacks, and then have to fight your way back to them through the entire pyramid. This means it can takes ages until you learn their patterns and what counters are best against them. Part of me wants to play Ziggurat now while my FPS senses are still keen, but I'm a bit burnt out.

Voltigeur

Novice
I've been slowly getting back into RTS games as of late.
Currently I'm busy with Cossacks: Back To War, which I always remembered as the "slavic" AoE 2.
Some very cool mechanics can be found in this game, like how only special troops like grenadiers, archers or artillery can attack enemy buildings, or how artillery units can be captured or destroyed immiadately if you do not have any other units nearby.

I installed the "Imperia" Mod ontop of it, which adds a very rough but still enjoyable diplomacy system to the skirmish game mode. If you defeat an enemy, you can either completely wipe him out, have him enter your union and thus become your ally, or conscript some of his troops into your army.
Very rough around the edges, but still surprisingly enjoyable.
Not balanced at all though, holy shit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If scout troopers' blasters fire green bolts, why do they start shooting in red when picked up by Kyle
Dark side of the force?

Negative - pirate goons shoop red bolts with their blaster pistols, and they are clearly on the side of eevil. Mystery not solved.

However this leads us to mystery 4:

If pirate goons shoop red bolts with their blaster pistols, why do they shoop green in the final cutscene of level 11?

If scout troopers' blasters fire green bolts, why do they start shooting in red when picked up by Kyle
Dark side of the force?

Negative - pirate goons shoop red bolts with their blaster pistols, and they are clearly on the side of eevil. Mystery not solved.

If pirate goons shoop red bolts with their blaster pistols, why do they shoop green in the final cutscene of level 11?

Pirates are gray, they shoot with whatever emotion they are feeling at the moment

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dark side of the force?

Pirates are gray, they shoot with whatever emotion they are feeling at the moment

good enough for me

Mysteries 1 and 4: solved

octavius

Arcane
Patron
HoMM 3: The Shadow of Death

I've finished the two first mini campaigns. The first one with an idealistic Gem being duped into collecting Necromancer artifacts so that the tall, dark stranger can destroy them, was the better one.
Both campaigns suffer from re-using the same themes in the maps, only the layout being different in many of the maps. The HoMM 2 campaign maps were much better in this regard, with different themes and strategies.

And the AI is far too weak, even on Impossible. Once you have finished the first map of a campaign, and even going for speed instead of maxing out stats, you can easily (c)rush them in the next maps, with only the independent castles and stacks making your units sweat, especially with Gelu's Sharpshooters.
I didn't get Expert Air Magic, so I couldn't track individual heroes, but with Expert Earth Magic and View Earth you can see which mines they flag, and know roughly where they are and where their castles are.

So SoD continues the trend from Armageddon's Blade.

Still, enjoyable enough so far, but tame compared to the best user made maps. And like AB superior to the RoE campaigns.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Having some fun playing Vermintide 2 with a fried,haven't played the first one but I like this one.It's basically L4D with classes,leveling,equipment,loot boxes and heresy.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
About to have the final battle in Jade Empire.

Got it for free from Origin giveaway some time ago, decided to try and finish it.

It is an interesting bad game. Combat mechanics are typical BioWare garbage tier. Cultural appropriation off the charts, why we'll never see a sequel.

Kang said something funny a while back, but I forgot it already. 4/10, won't replay.

Swigen

Arbiter
Playing the Zanki Zero demo at the moment. The bizarro story and the gorey art has really grabbed me and I’m afraid that when the demo is finished I’m actually gonna spend $60 on this piece of shit.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Played multiple eroge games which are considered the best by some people.Well,most of them just suck.There are only two exceptions,kamidori alchemy meister and the rance series.
Eroge games first and foremost appeals to their (paying) customers for their eroge waifus & CGs.
So for those with combat gameplay, it's a rare icing on the cake if story/game mechanics is up to par to their normal jap counterparts.

Special mention goes to evenicle
Agreed. Dropped 1st game just after getting 4th waifu, dropped 2nd game even before finishing the demo.

Soukoku no Arterial is alright... Items break the gameplay at some point.
I've enjoyed their card-based combat balance for relaxing play. New cards capturing and some cards having minor LV progression keeps me satisfied on the hamster wheel.
Combat challenge is maintained in 1st playthrough by bosses, non-protagonist-led fights and game center optional duels. 'Dangerous species' and EX encounters for subsequent runs.

Kami no Rhapsody was an utter trainwreck on all levels.
Agreed, but I liked that they attempted with hex-based tactics games. Hopefully, they will release a new, improved hex-based game.

P.S. Save your time from Astronauts. Besides (arguably) better CGs, the other aspects are (mostly) not even at Eushully's level. Or just stick to Aquaplus, Atlus or Falcom (to name a few) for gameplay.

Dux

Arcane
Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within

I had only briefly played this game when I was a kid, but back then I had no idea what I was doing. This game's mechanics and themes were far too complex for a fledgling Swedish lad. Going into it now was a pretty new experience - especially coming straight from the first pixel-based Gabriel Knight game. This is of course the FMV one with live actors and awkward paper cut-out characters ambling around on "realistic" backgrounds posing as the environment. It's very much a product of its time: for good and bad. The puzzles range from being pretty self-explanatory to unbelievably obscure - like the clockwork thing in the hunting club and the spliced tape. Nothing a good walkthrough won't fix, however, because the puzzles aren't the reason I stuck around. It's the mystery.

The actors are okay, even though I thought the guy playing Gabriel Knight was kind of weak. He lacked charisma, fidgeted around a lot like a beta and often looked like he was sucking down on a lemon. The waifu playing Grace was far better (in a FMV context) and this game could easily have been called Grace Nakimura: The Beast Within, because she's the one driving the storyline forward most of the time, while Gabriel often spends his time squinting at the camera with a Neanderthal half-cocked smile. Still, the collective performances carries a certain charm that is quite unique to the time period of the mid to late 90's - when FMV games were a thing. I've seen really bad FMV acting (Journeyman Project 1) but this game keeps it real for the most part. Simply put, it's charming and engrossing - Gabriel Knight's retarded Southern drawl notwithstanding. You get to watch almost 10 minutes of uninterrupted German opera towards the end and that is how this game rolls, which I why I liked it. It's very different from my usual gaming experiences: a breath of fresh air.

The story hints at certain things which aren't exactly resolved at the end, unfortunately. It's almost like Jane Jensen didn't really know how to properly tie up all the loose ends she had created. There is this whole thing surrounding the melancholic character of Ludwig II of Bavaria but it doesn't really come into focus in the end like you would probably expect, given how much time you spend on researching the guy's life. That was a missed opportunity, I feel.

The music is fantastic and really sets the mood.

All in all, I'm quite glad I played this game. It has its rough parts but that is just the way it is with the FMV genre. If you can look past the uglier facets then you have a pretty good mystery game on your hands.

:4/5:

sullynathan

Arcane
Played Dragon's Dogma for about 2 hours and got a couple quests. Booted up my game the next day and lost all my saves and the game forced me to restart. So much for one save file.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played Dragon's Dogma for about 2 hours and got a couple quests. Booted up my game the next day and lost all my saves and the game forced me to restart. So much for one save file.
I have DD installed. Played a few hours, not sure about this one. I snapped it up blind when I read about it's combat being great.
It is not bad per se so far. It runs well on my PC and looks good. Probably will get back to it soon.
Honestly I was looking for a distraction from PF:K seeing as how my characters are at the point pre-Varnhold and I wasn't sure where things were headed in ma' Kingdom.

So the time waster list atm is (in no particular order):

1. ATOM-RPG - on the fence about this one
2. Metro-Exodus - so far this game is just super (b)
3. Mutant Year Zero - different, still too soon to tell
4. Pillars of Eternity II (started then stopped to go back to POE I - where I am currently Delving under ye ol castle)
5. Dragon's Dogma - IF BLOBERT SAYS IT IS GOOD THEN THERE IS NO DOUBT
6. Knights of the Chailce - there are grappling mechanics, 'nuff said
7. Grimoire (on and off since release - Cleve's fixes/modifications have changed the game so much I restarted even though the game is very involved/lengthy)
8. NWN2 - again...just for old times sake
9. SSI's Krynn series because I never really got very far in to those - so far so good although targetting is a drag - it is what it is :/
10. Blackguards - on hiatus but enjoy this one quite a bit
11. Pool of Radiance - most likely will uninstall
12. Outward - I am enjoying things about this game a lot of gamers find cumbersome (hunger/hiking simulation/clunky combat/dehydration)
13. Wizards & Warriors - Old favorite approached a new way (I'm not racing to get specific elite classes this time through) - GOG wizards fixed this for Win 7*
14. POE I - trying to wrap this one up so I can move on to part II
15. Demon's Souls - if I ever get RPCS3 to work this title may take up my game time exclusively (a)
16. Warhammer 40k : Chaos Gate - this one is from waaaay back, finally can play it after GOG wizards fixed it for Win 7*

In the pipeline
a. Total War: WARHAMMER II - I never really played Total War series that much - this was a lot of fun
b. Eador : MOTBW - always in the pipeline
c. Wasteland II Director's Cut - came back to this one after ATOM RPG gave me a post apocalypse itch

I'm happy with this list
(a) Demon's Souls runs only on PS3 (or PC) which seems a shame. Why aren't PS3 games backward compatible?
(b) Metro Exodus : Anna is the best, most supportive wife. Why can't RL women be like her?

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
DRAGONS DOGMA IS PURE AWESOME

TAKES A FEW HOURS OR SO TO TGEY THE FEEL FOR IT

THEN IT IS JUST PURE AWESOME WITH EXPLORATION AND A FRIEND THEN HIRE ANOTGER FRIEND THEN JUMP ON TOP OF MOTHERFUCKERSL OGRES AND STAB THEM IN HEAD BEFORE OR AFYER YOU SET THEM ON FIRE

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mysteries of the Sith:

Mystery 2.

Why did they change the stormtroopers' voices for some new wimpy ones? Did they misplace the original .wav files somewhere?

Answer: because they had to replace "blast 'em" and "after 'em" with "blast her" and "after her" when you play Mara Jade.

Mystery solved.
You might've also noticed the sound quality of the effects and voices being much, much worse. That's because JK had the option for 16-bit sounds but MotS only uses 8-bit sounds, even for clips that are recycled from JK. I think there used to be a patch that fixed this and reintroduced the 16-bit sounds from JK, but I think this doesn't help with the MotS-specific sounds.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I finished PoE 2 on the weekend and I did enjoy it more than the first. The White Marsh expansion was heading in the right direction and they fixed a lot of the mistakes in the first one in the second.
Having that 'what do I play now feeling' I've bounced around between what I have installed and some handheld stuff.

- Darkest Dungeon on vita. Really the perfect way to play it, if you can handle the fiddly control setup. You can smash out a dungeon run on the toilet or just while you are watching random youtube etc. I'm at the first runs of the Derpest dungeon itself and AM going to finish it.
- Owlboy. Meant to be amazing.... Played a bit last night it's alright so far, too early to judge.
- Darksouls 2 DLC never beat this back in the day when i finished main game. Beat the Sunken king and now on to the Iron one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom