Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
so, i'm not going to read 18 pages to find out, so here we go:

can you use this and still play with mods?

i already have morrowind installed, would i need to reinstall it and re-mod it to use this?

The only real reason to use it now as far as I know is to test it and help develop it, so not sure mods would help with that. If you just want to play the game keep using the normal retail release.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

i already have morrowind installed, would i need to reinstall it and re-mod it to use this?

many mods work with openMW but mods that use mwse or MGE won't work. OpenMW imports the game from your steam (or whatever) install and runs it through the openMW engine, so you shouldn't need a fresh install unless your mods are really fucking with base files in the game.

You will need to re-mod by basically adding the mods to the openMW engine but adding mods to openmw is way easier and more organized than adding mods to the vanilla game.

The only real reason to use it now as far as I know is to test it and help develop it, so not sure mods would help with that. If you just want to play the game keep using the normal retail release.

??? OpenMW is basically feature complete. It's way more stable than the retail engine and fixes tons of shit. It's way easier to use and mod etc.. The only reason NOT to use it is if you really want to play with certain mods that require mwse.

ADL

Prophet

OpenMW is ideal for anything really intensive. It allows massive modlists without breaking and it performs significantly better than my retail install while using the province mods like Skyrim Home of the Nords/Province Cyrodiil/Tamriel Rebuilt. Mods with MWSE dependencies don't work but that'll come eventually. Not that anyone should be using mwse in TYOOL 2019 when OpenMW's scripting implementation is by far superior.

I wouldn't touch retail unless you're some sort of idiot that wants to use MGSO.

Funposter

Arcane
there's mods like morrowind comes alive and such that help with the static problem.

Not really.
The NPCs just teleport from one place to another at specific times.
It's a small help, though.

Yep, the implementation is super janky. The fact is, building up a "Radiant AI"-esque scheduling system for Morrowind would be an immense amount of work, requiring modders to design schedules for over 1,000 NPCs (conservative estimate since the game has over 2,600 but it includes bandits etc.). Using vanilla MWScript this would be impossible, although MWSE and Lua certainly makes it possible in the future if some maniacs are willing to attempt it. As of November 2018, guards can finally follow you into buildings, which is quite exciting, and demonstrates the ability to make NPCs actually move around the world instead of teleporting.

Edit: OpenMW also doesn't have MWSE and Lua so these kind of shit is going to be limited to vanilla for the foreseeable future

KMJ

Literate
there's mods like morrowind comes alive and such that help with the static problem.

Not really.
The NPCs just teleport from one place to another at specific times.
It's a small help, though.

Yep, the implementation is super janky. The fact is, building up a "Radiant AI"-esque scheduling system for Morrowind would be an immense amount of work, requiring modders to design schedules for over 1,000 NPCs (conservative estimate since the game has over 2,600 but it includes bandits etc.). Using vanilla MWScript this would be impossible, although MWSE and Lua certainly makes it possible in the future if some maniacs are willing to attempt it. As of November 2018, guards can finally follow you into buildings, which is quite exciting, and demonstrates the ability to make NPCs actually move around the world instead of teleporting.

Edit: OpenMW also doesn't have MWSE and Lua so these kind of shit is going to be limited to vanilla for the foreseeable future
I find that when playing Morrowind it's easy to forget the world is completely static and "dead". You read all the text and maybe you don't realize immediately that the Camonna Tong and Thieves Guild will never interact with each other, except through some quest the player will have to do, or that everything the game tells you is happening isn't really happening because it's not represented in the way NPCs behave.

It's a lot harder to pretend

Heard any news from other provinces?
Nothing I'd like to talk about.
Interesting.
Breton scum.
is a real conversation.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Latest nightly builds incorporate distant statics in addition to the distant land that has been available for quite some time.
KJZsYDx.png

gY9ZoSe.jpg

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Todd Howard said:
Android is the best system to develop for. Good tools, good speed, and loads of power...
Working with Google was refreshing. Making great games is truly its number one focus and Google helped us a lot when working on the system before it was totally done.
We'll continue to support Android phones. I wish everyone owned one so they could appreciate how good it is...
When someone asks me if they should buy Morrowind for PC or Android, I tell them to get the Android game - I know it'll work perfectly.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Still waitin on a combat overhaul. Somebody else must think the combat blows.

Funposter

Arcane
Based on this and Rusty's previous post saying that there will be full lua support soon, it looks like 0.48 will be the time to definitely make the change from vanilla to OpenMW. Someone needs to test the framerate in places like Old Ebonheart from Tamriel Rebuilt and compare it to vanilla with this latest build.

dacencora

OpenMW for smooth framerates + a much more stable experience means it is superior to vanilla already. But I am excited that lua support is incoming.

Funposter

Arcane
OpenMW for smooth framerates + a much more stable experience means it is superior to vanilla already. But I am excited that lua support is incoming.
For a vanilla or lightly modded playthrough, sure, but I think there are too many useful and game-changing mods that still make vanilla the superior option.

dacencora

For a vanilla or lightly modded playthrough, sure, but I think there are too many useful and game-changing mods that still make vanilla the superior option.
I’m not big on game-changing mods for Morrowind. I suppose a competent combat mod would be good, but I wasn’t convinced by the ones I saw on Nexus.

So for me, OpenMW is the way to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom