Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

RaptorRex888

Learned
Thank God I haven't touched this series in nearly ten years. What a shitshow it has become.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, any chance the Chinks will swallow this up or just pirate it into oblivion? I've also heard that there are new regulations on games in Chinkistan, it would be hilarious if they ban it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They had 2 jobs to make the series not suck: 1. Better strategic AI. 2. Better combat AI.

Every single fucking game CA failed on both.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
They had 2 jobs to make the series not suck: 1. Better strategic AI. 2. Better combat AI.

Every single fucking game CA failed on both.
3. Proper unit balance, variety, size and aesthetic design
4. Control their greed and make the game complete before whipping their slaves into making DLC
5. Make a moddable campaign map so actually talented people will make their game worth buying
6. Create a proper UI

Who would've guessed ''Creative'' Assembly would find its niche in making games of other IPs.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Hey, at least we'll always have Rome and Medieval. Things since have... taken a turn. I wonder if the folks making the current games were even alive when the original ones were.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You'd think they'd just take the features they already ironed out in previous games and tie them together in a fresh setting instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Same with Paradox.

tabacila

Augur
I really don't understand how the battle AI is still more retarded than WH's one. It doesn't even have to handle magic or monsters and pretty much looks the same it did 3 months ago.

Some of their design decisions seem forced onto the player. You have units tied to characters so you HAVE to hire characters, but in battle you can group select and mix them however you want. Do units even get a specific leadership buff from their boss or is it applied to all units in the army? If the two dudes I hired in my army hate each other, wouldn't their extra mega loyal troops have issues fighting together? Wouldn't they try to frag the their boss' rival?

Also who thought that tying types and tiers of units to a character and his level was a smart choice? Want a specific army combination with specific character types? Fuck you. That loyal dude who could hire some top tier mega strong cavalry with armour died of old age? Well I guess we lost our capability of training people to fight on horses AND wear armour. Does infrastructure, geography and resources not matter at all?

Duels are also the height of retardation. They show you a bar with the power comparison. Why would you get into a duel you would lose and why would the AI do the same? Besides the mechanics behind duels being stupid, who thought having an event that distracts the player from the battle was smart? You have thousands of men that need orders and after seeing one or two duels I would probably ignore them and just command the army. I wonder how much dev time went into making those matched animations...

What's up with the women characters? I don't even think the Romance had any fighting women. Was it an SJW attempt to make the genders equal or a quick fix for game design incompetence?
Wouldn't it have been better (and probably historically more accurate) to make a whole new layer of intrigue and influence at court for these women to take part in and give players new ways of managing your influence over characters? Or maybe allow them in positions of command in extremis, but give them leadership penalties.

I appreciate the new(ish) features of the campaign and I guess I could get into the setting of the campaign (empire falling apart and all that), but the battles and the recruitment system seem really off to me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Apparently this is "the most pre-ordered Total War game ever": https://www.totalwar.com/blog/business-practices-blog-three-kingdoms-post-launch-and-whats-next/

BUSINESS PRACTICES BLOG – THREE KINGDOMS POST-LAUNCH AND WHAT’S NEXT
TOTAL WAR: THREE KINGDOMS

As you can imagine, it gets pretty intense around the studio as launch day gets this close.

And, as you’d expect, Total War: Three Kingdoms is a pretty big deal for us. All our releases are, of course, but this is the first new historical era game for us in nearly 6 years. As you probably know, we have multiple core teams dedicated to multiple projects, and while many supporting team members (such as art and audio for example) circulate on and off projects as needed, the core team has been working on it for some 5 years now, so the excitement is certainly palpable.

It is also currently the most pre-ordered Total War game ever, so we’re incredibly glad that excitement and the support for what we’re doing is building up in the outside world too.

Of course, it’s not just a new major release for our series, it’s also the first game set in China. A daunting undertaking for a UK studio, and striving to do the source material justice in the small way we can has been a significant challenge. However, such a uniquely interesting and vibrant period is easy to fall in love with.

While we wanted to create a game that was very much our own tribute to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, we have taken an incredible amount on board throughout the process. Our endless thanks to our fans across the world, in particular in China, for their help and guidance on what we have shown in the run up to launch. We’ll be keeping a very close eye on how the game is received and will adjust any important details if needed as people get to grips with them.

ADDITIONAL CONTENT
As any long-time player knows, we’ve a reputation for supporting our games post launch with updates, free content and DLC. We’re planning for TW3K to be no different, with a dedicated DLC team having wrapped up the Yellow Turbans early adopter bonus and already hard at work on post-launch support. In fact they have been for some months now, learning from the years of experience we have in creating additional content and planning and integrating their designs with the main game.

We’re taking a slightly different approach to DLC for TW3K; based both on the exciting opportunities the Romance of the Three Kingdoms source material offers us and the preference we know players have for larger DLCs which adds considerable new replay.

What you’ll see initially for TW3K DLC are what we are calling ‘Chapter Packs’.

We’ll be taking notable chapters from Romance and creating new start positions that reflect their events. Adding a cast of new and familiar characters, features and objectives each time, that exemplify that chapter and the thrilling stories it tells.

While you’ll find a selection of new heroes and villains populating each new chapter, you’ll also see some familiar faces from the main game. However, they’ll be at a different point in their life, and are likely to have a very different set of needs and desires at this stage in their journey.

In terms of ‘size’ of content, you can expect a Chapter Pack to be somewhere between a Culture Pack and a Campaign Pack. There will be a serious clutch of new playable factions and a raft of new mechanics to get to grips with in each, while you’ll be playing across all of China.

Our hope is that, eventually, when you start a fresh campaign you’ll get to decide where in the epic tale of the Three Kingdoms you want to dive in. Picking from a range of exciting scenarios and challenges that reflect some of the most remarkable legends ever told.

UPDATES
Thanks to our publisher’s and your support, we were able to delay the game by a couple of months to add a further level of polish and incorporate even more feedback, like unit card changes and extreme unit sizes for example.

Right now we’re in a great place with the game and really, really happy with it’s playability and stability. Of course, we know that no matter what we might think, as soon as the game launches and millions of people start playing, there’s going to be some things we need to act on fast.

To that end, alongside the DLC team, we’ll have additional support from the core team aiming to address any urgent updates from launch.

So if you have any issues with the game at launch, the best place to go is: https://www.totalwar.com/support/

If you have any bugs to report or feedback to offer, the best place to go is: https://forums.totalwar.com/categories/three-kingdoms-support-forum

MODDING
We’re pleased to say that we’ll be releasing an Assembly Kit for TW3K shortly after launch. The game’s data structure opens up a raft of new modding opportunities which, coupled with updated tools, has been exciting the beta test group of modders we’ve had looking at the game and the Kit already.

We won’t be releasing the Assembly Kit or turning on the Workshop at launch, as we’ve found that players report bugs caused by mods and that can hamper our initial patching response. But stand by for more news very soon.

PRE-LOAD
Last but not least, pre-load starts from 6pm BST on Monday the 20th May. If you’ve pre-ordered you can start downloading game files from then, but don’t forget that the game will only unlock at launch, which is 8am BST Thursday the 23rd May.

Thank you from the whole team at CA, we couldn’t keep doing what we do without you. Hope you enjoy coming with us on our journey through the Three Kingdoms.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
If i want to became slave of China i will move myself to USA and help their peons pay China credits for next 1.000.000 years [ to be honest over 50% of USA belongs to China in economic terms and it was like this about 12 years ago, now i bet China owns about 80 % of USA citizens and their bank credits]. There are so much more interesting themes for next TW game, Colonial era, WH40K, back to Medieval , Empire II , go to hell with this chinese crap.
I understand need for orient , but when orient stands on everyone's night's table and is in 70% of things you buy everyday it lost it's magic . To say more, it really looks from gameplay like cheap mod for WHII TW with chinese kungfu historic drama movie about sleeping tiger and that kind of asian shit for hentai lovers.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's out now.

60,558 concurrent players 30 minutes after the launch. Sure going to exceed Warhammer games' numbers (113,019 for 1, 72,320 for 2).

Okay played some time, crap! That Chinese crap is really good, well i will be China Slave from now on. Game is similar but better than Shogun 2 was. Hard to belive , i was at maximum negative opinion until yesterday, but i must change my view as game simply deserve it.
Better even than Warhammer 2 , i hope in Warhammer 3 they will reach same level of vanilla game as here. With shame but i must recommend to buy this title to any TW series fan, honestly there wasn't such good TW title in historic area since Shogun 2 with addons.
:betrayed:

Aemar

Arcane
With shame but i must recommend to buy this title to any TW series fan, honestly there wasn't such good TW title in historic area since Shogun 2 with addons.
What's your current playing time? 30 minutes? 1 hour? What makes you recommend this game after barely touching it?

Quick point out best feautures:
1) excellent performance compared to WH2 - on decent rig [ 16gb ram, gfx nvidia 1060, Ryzen1700 ]
2) bug free compared to latest TW titles since R2 - hard to belive but its the fact - for real i can't belive what im writing
3) fine presentation of historic lore , great recruitment system
4) two campaign and battle modes - historical and more novel based - both can be turned off and on at any moment during campaign - ie. before battles - no need to take hard decision
5) improved and better working diplomacy system
6) chinese talking while English subtitles as an option - great feauture
7) technologies and research tree better implemented and much more impact on gameplay than in previous titles
8) vanilla state is such good and full of feautures that it will be long playable and replayable without single mod - which is gorundbreakin for whole series
9) much different nations / tribes / realms to play on
10) animosiy /like between commanders in campaign and in the battles - awesome as it makes battles real hard when you have two or more conflicting characters
11) at least battle ai is decent and battles are fun, more use of formations and overall meaning of formations big return
12) 6 seconds to load big battle !!!
13) fast campaign turns
14) just stunning artwork makes you like reading fairy tale about history with easily asian flavour but without touch of sucking anime/kungfu nonsense
15) characters duels are pretty great
16) fine army units
17) really great sieges

18) much more for You to discover, overall game is in terms of fun like best moments of Rome Total War I , Warhammer II and Shogun II mixed all together + much better performance , new good features, and listen lads , almost zero bugs.
And oh boi dat map!

If you have some coin to spend take a risk and invest into this release - its really worth it

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
60,558 concurrent players 30 minutes after the launch. Sure going to exceed Warhammer games' numbers (113,019 for 1, 72,320 for 2).

157,007 right now: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...urrent-players-record-for-the-series-on-steam

Total War: Three Kingdoms sets concurrent player record for the series on Steam
You and whose army?

Total War: Three Kingdoms has set a concurrent player record for the series on Steam.

At the time of publication, 147,496 people are playing Creative Assembly's latest strategy game on Valve's platform.

jpg

Creative Assembly confirmed to Eurogamer that Three Kingdoms has indeed set the series record.

"It's great to see so many people enjoying Total War: Three Kingdoms on launch day!" Richard Gittins, marketing director for Total War said in a statement given to Eurogamer.

"According to our records, it is indeed a record for the series on Steam, and hopefully as the rest of the world wake up, that number will keep going up."

Three Kingdoms, then, has beaten out the previous record holder, Rome 2 (all-time peak of 118,240), as well as Total War: Warhammer (119,909) and Total War: Warhammer 2 (72,112). Currently it's behind only Steam blockbusters Dota 2, PUBG and CS:GO, but it's ahead of Warframe, Rainbow Six Siege and Grand Theft Auto 5.

Over on Twitch, more people are watching Three Kingdoms than Fortnite right now, although it will be interesting to see how popular that game remains on the streaming platform in the coming weeks.

Either way, it looks like Three Kingdoms is a hit for Creative Assembly and publisher Sega. Our Chris Tapsell recommended the game in Eurogamer's Total War: Three Kingdoms review, saying: "Ambitious and sometimes overwhelming, Three Kingdoms does a great job of capturing the complexity of China's vivid past."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh the game sold pretty well from what i see,it have more than 162,000 people playing it. I believe that it is the biggest number for a TW game.

:negative:
Consumerism is cancer,we shall not see good aaa game in our life time,too many sheeple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom