Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #28: Still A Megaton Of Work Left To Go

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 3

There's been virtually no real news about Wasteland 3 for the past ten months. This has led some to believe that the game is languishing in some sort of development hell - a perception encouraged by the unusual rate of turnover in its writing team. Others have theorized that inXile have been using their pile of Microsoft cash to substantially overhaul and improve it. Whatever the case, there's still no real news in today's long overdue Wasteland 3 Fig update. But at least inXile are admitting that two and a half years after its crowdfunding campaign, the game still needs a lot of work. Oh, and they also threw in a look at some random character for good measure. I quote:

Communications Wasteland

It’s been a while since our last update, and that’s because we’ve been hard at work on Wasteland 3, and getting a lot of the core pieces of the game in-place. As we’ve said before, the game is effectively playable from start to finish—but there’s still a megaton of work left to go. Sure, you can complete quests and navigate most of the areas, but this is the most time-intensive stretch of the project. We have the bones—the skeleton is there—but it’s filling it with all the sinew, cartilage, and guts that really make the Wasteland experience what it is. Things are really shaping up, but the most critical work is just getting started. We’ve been hiring and growing the company, as well as putting a lot of the new Microsoft development resources to good use, and that’s going to help us be able to make Wasteland 3 even bigger and better.

We’ll have development updates to share during E3, so look forward to our next update with more specifics then.

Face to Face in the Wasteland

As you saw in our Fig campaign launch trailer, Wasteland 3 is the first game in the series to feature a cinematic conversation system. It gets you up close and personal with the big story characters you’ll encounter in Colorado, and one of those is MacTavish. He’s a coarse, blustering mechanic in Colorado Springs, who wears a luchador mask because . . . well . . . you’ll have to wait and see.

In this update we wanted to share some of the process that’s going into bringing this character to life. First it starts with a character pitch or write-up, and from those largely text-based descriptions the artists work up concepts and shape studies to hone on in a final look and design for the character’s appearance and style. In an effort to not spoil too much we’ll skip ahead a bit to his final concept piece.

Once we have a concept done we’ll move on to a high-poly model like this one, which we’ll break down into the pieces that will help give it a high quality appearance in-game, but without requiring a super-computer to render. After that comes mocap, and then the voice recording we’ve done is married to that with final animations.

This is a look at his masked face model, which isn’t too far from what you’ll see in-game. We’ll have more to share on MacTavish in the future, as well as the creative process for bringing some of our other characters to life.

Look Forward to E3!

Thank you for your patience as we continue development and work toward more consistent backer updates. To restate it again: we’re committed to our backer promises, and you can expect the Steam and GOG versions of the game on launch day. No store exclusivity.

We’re looking forward to sharing more with you during E3!​

I guess E3 is when we'll finally get to see some gameplay footage. As for the writing team, I asked George Ziets about that and he replied. Judge for yourself!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2Fdd4bbbff-b384-4c94-96e5-e3ed193f4a9b

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignMediaItem%2Fimage%2Fcampaign_media_item%2F2019%2F05%2F14%2F1ad0b01e-6736-4201-b4b8-e47071947002

This shit looks awful lmao

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Infinicuck What's "what" retard? You think it looks great?

I think it looks...normal? Unremarkable. It's not like the art is stylized in some unusual way. It's a basic videogame look. I mean he's a burly post-apocalyptic dude in a luchador mask so of course he looks a bit goofy. If you don't like the idea of that then yeah, I can see why you're unhappy.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Exactly, the art style looks mundane and absolutely indistinctive in a sea of post-apoc titles. That cannot be good by defualt. It's time you start enforcing some consumer standards around here and calling things what they are instead of being overly generous so you get keys and other "benefits"

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
During preproduction, we didn’t have enough narrative folks to write all the zone design documents we needed, so we hired some freelancers (e.g., Drew McGee) to assist on a short-term basis.

After the zone designs were done, we moved into full production, when we were writing first drafts of all the dialogue in the game. Our writers for that phase were Gavin, Colin, and Cassandra Khaw, with some help from Thomas Beekers and me. Nathan Long joined us when his work on BT4 was complete. As that phase came to an end and the heavy-duty writing wound down, Gavin, Colin, and Cassandra left for other studios.

I don't understand how this works... did they learn nothing from writing Tides?

Why so many writers again...?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is a clear downgrade from the video that showed up during the Fig campagin. inXile's artists remain lousy. :M

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
InExile fucked up every game they released and people still believe they can deliver...

The Bard's Tale 1-3 remake was good, although that was entirely accidental and also not really imBecile

jac8awol

Arbiter
Incredibly disappointing. I was also one of the few that liked Wasteland 2 and I was looking forward to this. But if this was a passion project that was going well they'd be sending out updates regularly to keep people hyped. They've let it linger and lose all its momentum. Will be surprised if it gets finished, let alone in an interesting state. Just a slap in the face for the backers, glad I didn't get involved.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Wasteland 2 was fairly solid, Numenera was a horrid blapshemy to the very RPG genre. Chances are this probably gets ruined by Microsoft (assuming it was even good to begin with - which I very much doubt)

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Edgy graphic whores should probably go back to playing Twitcher and Skyrim...

Huh? I dont give two fucks about graphics you dumb prostitute, I am talking about art direction. FYI I never touched Skyrim and Witcher in my life
Well the art direction being unremarkable for me is not a thing, as gfx will not make you play the game many years after the release. But knowing it’s Fargo, gfx is the only thing it can boast about and of course amount of unrelated words. So bash him as much as you want...

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Wasteland 2 was fairly solid, Numenera was a horrid blapshemy to the very RPG genre. Chances are this probably gets ruined by Microsoft (assuming it was even good to begin with - which I very much doubt)
Wasteleand 2 was fairly horrid. Fixt.
Combat system was poor, no meaningful C&C and no interesting exploration. It was FO BOS on a butget... Oh the standards...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom