Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
In general people and companies that create goods turn less profit then freeloaders ( taxes ) and distribution

Libertard detected

Cromwell

Arcane
We are not contrarian for the sake of it, we are just reasonable

:lol: you are the same as all the other reasonable posters here, mostly found in GD, years old account and about two posts outside of the thread you decided will be your personal loony bin. You are the oneself of this thread.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
We are not contrarian for the sake of it,

Speak for yourself. I'm contrarian because I despise Steam and all the retarded shit they invented.
And while I have no love for Epic (and who knows what other shit they'll come up with too) and they won't get any cent from me ever (just like Steam won't), butthurting steamtards feels so good. And nothing butthurts a hypocrite more than pointing out their hypocrisy.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Libertard detected

Parasite detected, see I can play this game too.

qbAjay15Aw-10.png

Black Angel

Arcane
Dude I hate all these fucking clients, you're not paying attention. If I'm a fanboy of anything it's GOG, but they have like a 4% market share. I can't pretend people give a shit about stuff they don't give a shit about.
I don't fucking care if you hate all these clients. Why are you even here, anyway? You trying to play devil's advocate with the others just because you hate Steam with your very own guts makes you looks like a fool, or worse, a fucking cuck. I'm pretty sure no one here are saying Steam is a literal saint who cared for every single need of every type of consumers, but just because Steam made mistakes it doesn't excuse Epic's bullshit. And there are many way to compete with Steam without leaving the consumers in the dust, strong arming products and signing exclusivity deals ain't one of them.

From where did you get those 4% number anyway? I'm pretty sure since they've been building up their stores for a good while, starting from very old games and still do with recent release of Diablo 1 and Warcraft 1&2, to providing a catalog full of DRM-free products. Not to mention they're associated with The Witcher 3, which literally shifted the masses perception of genuinely quality products and good services, I find it hard to believe they don't have a recognizable market share at this point.

If I had my way all these bullshit clients and social features would be shot into the sun, but I can't have my way. Consumers gonna consumers, and they like clients and Facebook shit, and so here we are.
See, this is what I hate the most from people like you who hates Steam with their guts and, allegedly, ((((not)))) defending Epic at all. It's okay that you as a consumer act like a king you are, but you and I are just as king as the other. You might not have gotten this through that thick skull of yours which houses a sorry ass piece of rotting meat you call brain, but just so you know there are a bazillion people out there, like me, who lived in third world country and have meager access to physical copies of video games. And what games available for purchase, will burn through our wallet especially for those who consistently buy games. Steam literally cured my piracy when I discovered its existence as a storefront in 2013-2014, which is also fortunately around the time they began implementing regional pricing that's also reasonably adjusted based on the country so they're cheaper based on where I live. Since I discovered that Steam didn't exactly sell me the actual games, and instead selling me the right to play the games (except for DRM-free ones, of course) I almost always buy there only during sale, and only buy stuff full price from promising indie developers and those who don't use Steam DRM. I'd like to shift to GOG completely, in fact I'm keeping a close eye on what games I can transfer to my GOG account via GOG Connect, but as of now they don't have reasonably adjusted regional pricing like Steam do so I rarely buy games from GOG.

Go ahead and call me poor, because you know who else are poor? Indie developers who made genuinely quality products who obviously won't be able to afford manufacture of physical copies and paying %cut to retailers. They might be able to afford to do so where they're based on, but they sure as hell won't even consider doing it thousands of miles away in the middle of a third world country.

My only points in this thread have been: 1) exclusives work, and you guys are fucking stupid if you don't think Epic is doing the one thing that could take market share from Steam, and 2) I don't really care which bullshit client I have to use and ignore while I play my singleplayer shit, because they're all bullshit.
Console exclusivity are fundamentally different, because as others already pointed out which you just conveniently ignored, they make you buy a piece of hardware with which they lure customers to buy more stuff there. Why would it work for Epic in the long run when there are legitimately better storefronts out there? And if you still think all Epic really need is improving their service, well it's already way too fucking late. They had all the time in the world to just take a glance at how Steam and GOG run their stores, or they could've spend more time doing their research and implementing all the essentials, but they didn't. I don't know if a shopping cart is part of their future plan, but if it is, the fact that it didn't made it in time for their Mega Sale should've been a big red sign for anyone having second thoughts about going there at all.

The point is more that exclusives make you do something you don't really want to do in order to play them. No one WANTS to spend another $400 on a console when you already own a modern one. They do it to play X and Y game they can't play otherwise. If a console doesn't have enough exclusives then it doesn't sell as well, because less people feel the need to buy it. There's a shit-ton of other factors going on of course, but these companies wouldn't bankroll exclusive games if they weren't essential to success.

Epic wants you to get games on their store instead of Steam, something most people don't want to do for various reasons. Exclusives will push people to do it.
You're right, exclusives really make people do something they don't really want to. Steam made me put down the black flag, but thanks to Epic, as Grauken pointed out, it actually makes me want to raise the black flag once more and sail the Seven Seas.

But seriously, in case you guys still think exclusives will work, let me point out a PC exclusivity that happens more than a year ago. Remember Age of Empires: Definitive Edition? Microsoft has been around for a long time now, so it's not improbable that they have bigger market share than Epic. AoE:DE was released exclusively on Microsoft Store, and up until now there's only rumors of it coming to Steam. I was looking around googling if it's a financial success, but nah, zero news on how it fares. I'm not an economic expert, but if the game actually does well being sold exclusively on Microsoft Store, should there be news about it? Not to mention to also lure general audience and convince them that a sizable chunk of their consumer base is satisfied with buying from there?
Meanwhile, Age of Empires 2 HD Edition definitely does sells like hotcakes. Steamspy listed the owners as between 5 to 10 millions, and even if we don't go there Steam listed as many as ~46k people reviewed the game, 94% of them are satisfied with the product, and ~5k people are currently playing it right now. So, what's wrong with AoE:DE not selling as well as AoE2, even though the way I see it the nostalgia for the first game is just as strong as its sequel?

Now, you guys might point out that AoE2HD isn't available on other stores like GOG, but you can still buy it from reseller sites like Humble Bundle. Also, Steam definitely didn't sign an exclusivity deal with the publisher, because if they do we would've heard of it. So, just like any other Steam ((((((exclusives)))))) out there, other than games actually developed and published by Valve themselves, it's obvious the publisher of AoE2HD decided to only sell on Steam and other reseller sites, and not also releasing the game on GOG for whatever reason. Most probably because AoE2 has a huge multiplayer component which makes it require multiplayer functionality conveniently provided by Steamworks, and hence they can't release on GOG without similar functionality. And at the end of the day, this is nothing like PC exclusivity shenanigan that Epic's currently doing, no matter how your cucks want to twist and turn this into Steam ((((((exclusive)))))).

I just think it makes business sense, and was the only way to compete with Steam.
:deathclaw:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Epic wants you to get games on their store instead of Steam, something most people don't want to do for various reasons. Exclusives will push people to do it.
I doubt anyone disagrees with that but, as noted, it's only half the story.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I bought my PS3 to play Demon's Souls. Would I have bought it if I knew it would have came out on the Xbox360 a year later? No.

I bought my PS4 to play Bloodborne. Would I have bought it if I knew it would have came out on the PC a year later? No.

It's not the same as exclusivity on a console. I don't mind waiting a year to pick up a new title. I have a backlog that would last me for at least a couple of years. I've enjoyed both Borderlands and Borderlands 2, but I'm not buying Borderlands 3 from the Epic Game Store. If I end up wanting to buy it, I'll buy it on steam. Secondly, if I can wait an entire year for a game to arrive on steam, then I sure as hell can wait an additional 6 months for it to be on sale.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't fucking care if you hate all these clients. Why are you even here, anyway?

I'm here to shoot the shit about the big PC news. I'm here to say "all these clients are bullshit I ignore so who cares, but I think this makes sense from a business perspective for Epic" because that's how I feel about it. You guys can get as butthurt as you want about that, and write me ten paragraphs about how growing up in potato Steam found you as a little orphan and raised you into a man, but it doesn't really change my perspective.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS THE FUCKING PASSION ANS EXCITEMENT HERE

LOLOLLOLLOL I HATE INSTALLING A NEW CLIENT I INSTAALLED EPIC ONCE BECAUSE THE GAVE AWAY SHADOW CONSPIRACY BUT THEN I UNINSTALLED IT

INSTALLED UBISTUFF TO PLAY FAR CRY 3 ANS BLOOD DRAGON THEB UNINSTALLED IT FIRST TIME I SAW IT COME UP AFTER I WAS DONE WITH THOSE GAMEA

SO IN OTHER WORDS WHATEVER BROS I HAVE MORE GAMES THAB TIME ANYWAYS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/metro-exodus/sales

Metro Exodus publisher says the Epic store is its “leading digital platform” in unit sales
metro_exodus_aurora_stephan_1080x1920-580x334.png

May 23, 2019 THQ Nordic’s CEO says PC launches on the Epic Store have exceeded expectations.

During its latest financial results, THQ Nordic noted that Metro Exodus sales made it “the largest game launch” in the company’s history, but that the “absolute majority” of those sales were on console. Many fans of the historically computer-focused series took that to mean PC players had abandoned the game over its Epic store exclusivity, but CEO Lars Wingefors says that’s not the case.

“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations in terms of sales in actual units of both Metro Exodus and Satisfactory during the quarter,” Wingefors tells us. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March.”

In other words, direct game sales through the Epic store brought in more money for THQ Nordic in the quarter than sales on Steam, PlayStation Network, or Xbox Live. That can be partially attributed to the higher revenue cut developers receive through Epic, but it takes more than a few percentage points to compete against the big install bases on console.

Wingefors adds “my statement yesterday” – that ‘absolute majority’ bit noted by many on Twitter – “about console share of Metro Exodus sales was referring to the two console platforms combined – both physical and digital revenue. This is still the majority of the revenues of Metro Exodus.”

There’s a lot we don’t know about the sales numbers – including any actual numbers. Back at GDC, Epic said during its keynote that Metro Exodus had sold more than 2.5 times as many copies on the Epic Games store than Last Light did on Steam back in 2013, but the PC market has gotten a lot larger since then.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Somewhat surprised by that just because I thought consoles were very quickly going just as digital as PC. If Epic has the highest digital revenue though, while consoles combined sold more overall, then a lot of people got it on disc.

Cross

Arcane
“Epic Games store has exceeded our expectations in terms of sales in actual units of both Metro Exodus and Satisfactory during the quarter,” Wingefors tells us. “Epic Games store is in fact the group’s leading digital platform in terms of revenue generated by units sales in the quarter ending March.”

In other words, direct game sales through the Epic store brought in more money for THQ Nordic in the quarter than sales on Steam
So let me see if I understand this correctly: they made a press release to clarify that Metro: Exodus and Satisfactory sold more on the Epic store than they did on another digital store where they were never available for purchase (apart from being able to pre-order Metro for a few days before it was removed)?

:thisisfine:

Irata

Scholar
Metro allowed preorders on Steam for a bit so technically it was available on Steam. Not that the writer of that article should have included it because it wasn't available on launch day. I don't know if Satisfactory could have been preordered. I imagine, like Metro, it would have only been available for a short window of time if it was.

Irata

Scholar
Isn't Steamworks still free? I was under the impression none of Valve's features for sellers cost money.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It still is, you don't have to pay Valve to make use of their features, the Steam Direct and sales fees cover that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What a worthless piece of announcement. Again, no numbers mentioned, and since we know that on consoles people still buy a huge chunk of their games physically, it is no wonder that on PC digital is more prominent.

passerby

Arcane
Somewhat surprised by that just because I thought consoles were very quickly going just as digital as PC. If Epic has the highest digital revenue though, while consoles combined sold more overall, then a lot of people got it on disc.
You can still resell physical console games.

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm here to shoot the shit about the big PC news. I'm here to say "all these clients are bullshit I ignore so who cares, but I think this makes sense from a business perspective for Epic" because that's how I feel about it. You guys can get as butthurt as you want about that, and write me ten paragraphs about how growing up in potato Steam found you as a little orphan and raised you into a man, but it doesn't really change my perspective.
Except it doesn't makes sense in long run. Aside from what has been listed so far, you also need to consider that it wasn't only Epic who pissed off a lot of people. Do notice that most of the games being signed exclusivity deals with are also crowdfunded, mostly from Fig. Now, if you tell me all these people who participated in helping the games possible to be developed in the first place to just shut their mouth and accept this anal fuck quietly, you gotta be really fucking kidding me.
Besides, so far we don't have real numbers and real data that the games released exclusively on Epic so far actually proven to be profitable. It's all just buzzwords and bullshits about how "Oh, it's in line with our expectation." "Oh, it exceeded our expectation." "The game sells 2.5x more than the previous game!"

And reaaaaaal amazing how you still insist that I'm a Steam Fanboy™. And this is why you're an Epic Cuck™

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Tick-tock on that being a thing though. MS already released a digital-only XBone and I'll be surprised if the next gen consoles offer physical at all.
PS5 will have a disk drive.

inb4 its only for backwards compatibility with previous gen titles
It's a possibility, although I don't think so. It wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective. We'll see.

Mustawd

Tick-tock on that being a thing though. MS already released a digital-only XBone and I'll be surprised if the next gen consoles offer physical at all.
PS5 will have a disk drive.

inb4 its only for backwards compatibility with previous gen titles
It's a possibility, although I don't think so. It wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective. We'll see.

Isn’t all dependent on design? If the design just doesn’t support it then it doesn’t support it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom