Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Zanzoken

Arcane
The thing is being developed by a small team mind you, plus they're running on government funds so they're probably clocking 32 hours a day and 60 days vacations

Not really that small of a team.

m9ayQQC.jpg
Wasn't the first M&B made by like 3 people?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I mean it is not like they own anything to anybody. There are no pre-orders or kickstarters or whatever. They can release whenever they want.
Call me selfish but it would be nice if I could play this game before I am fucking fifty or whatever. I think seven years is ample time to make a fucking game.

vota DC

Augur
With hand placed map there won't be Mountain Blade 2. Also with those uberaxemen that cut two horses in one strike (supernatural powers seems more common, there are special perks for that) there is no need to mountains everywhere to deal with cavalry. I hope this time there will be bracing spears, else why waste resources on dedicate anticavalry (Vlandia will have pikemen) if you can get shock infantry that is good against cavalry and heavy infantry too?

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dev Blog 16/05/19
16 May @ 10:11pm - Callum
5d22ffe6094a2018aa61e86d0499dc0223d6bd60.jpg

Greetings warriors of Calradia!

One part of game development that is often overlooked or undervalued is Quality Assurance (QA). Testing a game is an integral part of the development process, and with a game of the scale of Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord, the testing process is paramount in ensuring that the many different features and systems, that more often than not are intertwined and dependant on each other, work as intended to provide players with a fun and enjoyable experience. In this week’s blog, we talk with one of the people responsible for making sure that the game meets the standards that both we and our players expect, QA Tester, Onurcan Dönmez.

NAME
Onurcan Dönmez

FROM
İzmir, Turkey

JOINED TALEWORLDS

EDUCATION
Aviation Management

OFFICIAL JOB DESCRIPTION
Game QA Tester

WHAT DO YOU NORMALLY DO DURING YOUR DAY?
I play Bannerlord from morning till night... At least my friends think so. But, this is not the case of course. As the QA team, we have a specific workflow and test scenarios. My main task is to perform them and to improve them when necessary. Apart from this, I follow the other tasks by attending the daily/weekly meetings of other teams, emphasize the priorities, and share my team’s feedbacks with them. In the evaluation meetings we have held daily in the past few months, I share my comments about the current state of the game and share my design ideas. Our job is not just about finding bugs and reporting them, but also to make sure that the game is of high quality and fun. So in summary, I normally test the game, follow the tasks, attend meetings, and share feedback during my day.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE THE MOST ABOUT BANNERLORD?
What I like about Bannerlord is to have the title of the person who plays Bannerlord the most and the incredibly funny bugs we came across :)

What I like the most is the richness of the game in terms of features. I have played lots of games across a number of different genres for over 20 years, but only some of them have such richness. If you take the list of Bannerlord’s features, it would take a day or more to shallowly test just one of them.

WHAT'S THE MOST DIFFICULT THING THAT YOU SOLVED SO FAR, DURING THE PRODUCTION OF BANNERLORD?
Something I try to keep on top of and is probably my most challenging task, is to encourage a healthy level of communication between the teams. I came to the following conclusion as a result of my experiences, thanks to my current position in the company: working in a QA team requires you to recognise other teams, individuals and their working methods, to build good relationships and to ensure that different teams work in collaboration with each other. Our responsibility is to act as a filter in terms of accuracy and quality of the work. Therefore, we need to keep a good channel of communication open with everyone.

In order to help you visualise this, I can give an example: Before implementing a quest to the game, I check the algorithms and dialogues of the quest. If I find a problem, I talk to the designer of the quest to get it fixed. Following this, the design of the quest is approved and sent to the programmers, which means that I need to communicate with the programmers at this stage and test it after the implementation. The drafts may not be suitable to implement, may not be fun, or may cause some unexpected problems. We need to collaborate with the designers, programmers, and even graphic designers or game engine team to solve these problems. In such instances, positive and healthy communication is essential to solving the problems within the shortest amount of time.

Improper work can be done due to a lack of communication and it can hamper the speed of development. To avoid this, I am trying to do my best to provide a continuous flow of information.

WHAT DO YOU CURRENTLY WORK ON?
Multiplayer tests are taking most of my time recently. As we have already announced, we are preparing to enter a beta process soon and so we are working hard on this to present the game in the best way possible.

WHAT FACTION DO YOU LIKE THE MOST IN BANNERLORD?
Empire. We were testing the multiplayer Captain mode that we introduced in the summer of 2017. Late at night, I won a very exciting game with 20 heroic Empire legionnaires. That epic victory is the reason why Empire is enshrined in my memory. And another motivation is the fact that no one else in the company likes Empire except for me!

blog_post_90_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

WHAT WAS THE WEIRDEST/MOST COMEDIC BUG YOU’VE DISCOVERED?
I have some favourite bugs which I find to be interesting and funny.
  • The creepy winks of the dead warriors lying in the battlefields.
  • The transformation of swords into lightsabers as a result of an excessive flare bug, turning the game into Star Wars mode.
  • Naked people walking around as a result of another bug.
  • The reduction of the height of the siege tower model into half the size of a human and the transportation of it into the castle by the soldiers.
  • Everyone turning into a child as a result of a bug we had after implementing the child model for the first time. It was really funny to see tiny people swinging huge swords in battles, but it was very disturbing to actual kill child enemies... We are working under really harsh conditions! :)"

blog_post_90_taleworldswebsite_03.jpg

WHAT WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT WAS FIXED OR MODIFIED DUE TO YOUR EFFORTS IN QA?
It is a nice question but difficult to answer. Many problems about various issues are fixed and improved thanks to our feedback and comments, but I can give army AI as a specific example. Previously, armies scattered quickly and misused their time and supplies as a result of ineffective decisions. But now, thanks to the improved AI, they are more effective at making sensible and consistent decisions.

Discuss this blog post HERE

4a10552b1cc2202d51d761d299502467801edd02.png
Facebook[www.facebook.com]
b25d0c097c51f4f070fd65a5f6da7ab08fa0b186.png
Twitter

7d86544d1d1183a6e1c78349fa4f32066108aab0.png
Website[www.taleworlds.com]
Twitter
83ac6a99aff3ebf165f8114bb37539aa69b1ccc9.png
YouTube
2beabe9d7f074a47f64397f8b073bafbfcc955ac.png
Twitch[www.twitch.tv]

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The point was that we're not really interested in interviews with either. This whole process feels so drawn out at this point that people, including myself, are losing hype over the game. These interviews/updates should have started much closer to an actual release

Aemar

Arcane
Next they'll interview the janitors.
It's already been done.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/8b9076/memeunofficial_dev_blog_with_janitor/

k6gpyehtk3r01.jpg

Job of janitor can be for some people just an underpaid job but we take every employee of the company as an important person. In Turkey there are no differences between the people after fall of Ottoman empire, there are many nations including kurds, syrians, armenians (were). Every other cultures bring something special to working collective, every single action can improve project in positive way. Today special day, we bring you exclusive interview with one of our fellow janitor´s who work hard at night to show the results.

NAME Ufuk Akan

FROM Syria, Democratic Federation of Northern Syria and allies (YPG Kurdistan)

JOINED TALEWORLDS 2016

EDUCATION Ankara Imam Hatip

OFFICIAL JOB DESCRIPTION Cleaning office, tables, toilets, collect rubbish from trash cans

WHAT DO YOU NORMALLY DO DURING YOUR WORKDAY? "I mostly clean garbage around the Taleworlds parking lot. My main focus is to ensure that the parking spots are clear of any debris from the constant rioting fanboys. It's been about 6 years since the announcement of Bannerlord, the fans are becoming restless. They want Bannerlord."

WHAT IS THE MOST DIFFICULT OBSTACLE THAT YOU'VE OVERCOME SO FAR, DURING THE PRODUCTION OF BANNERLORD? "During the mid stages of development in 2016, the Taleworlds Entertainment community manager announced the release of Bannerlord in some form or shape during 2016 and pushing full release 2017, Unfortunately the building suffered a major rat infestation which resulted in the catastrophic torching of nearly all the game data for Bannerlord. I personally mopped and scrubbed the floors of the burned rat corpses and spoiled game data files, so the devs had to start all over again."

IS SALARY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO LIVE OFF? "Of course its not, I gain only 2 150 Turkish Liras (about 440 euro), and rent in the modern part of Ankara is very expensive so I moved to Çinçin district of Ankara, where there is cheap rent and I am able to spend money for my hobbies. I also sell Bannerlord leaks to Johny Slovak, when I'm working at night and no-one is around at the studio I take photos with my Windows phone, or when I hear devs talking I hide and inconspicuously listen to the conversation."

WHERE DID YOU GAIN EXPERIENCE FOR JANITOR WORK AND HOW DID YOU GET TO THE COMPANY? The begging wasnt really easy, as I come from Syria and Im Kurdish, I wasnt accepted in many job interviews, I left my family and went to Germany to visit my family who immigrated here with smugglers, My far family lived in Cologne and my Uncle Amojgar got me good job at Gamescom gaming event, where I cleaned for 3 days and got as much money as I would get for 1 month job in Turkey. I heard there will be Bannerlord team and my dream was to meet them and try Bannerlord as I played M&B 1 at my Imam Hatip school. I remember it as It was yesterday, it was closing time and I was late with cleaning so I just ran to Bannerlord section and started cleaning when I met Ginger guy who liked me more than I expected, he gave me business card to apply for job. Unfortunatelly I couldnt play Bannerlord because it was last day of event, I got good rating from my employee so I gained some experience, I also accepted invitation from ginger guy to visit his hotel room.

DO YOU KNOW WHEN BANNERLORD WILL BE IN OUR HANDS? Sometime in 2020, maybe.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/1604883330039826842

Dev Blog 23/05/19
23 May @ 9:28pm - Callum

eb433eebc81918c446fedb9c379de8c97f976aff.jpg

As Bannerlord’s multiplayer beta draws ever closer, we thought it would be a good time to discuss another of the game’s exciting game modes: Captain Mode.

With Fire & Sword and Napoleonic Wars veterans will already be somewhat familiar with the concept of Captain Mode, with a rudimentary version of this game mode appearing in both of those games. Likewise, if you have been following the development of Bannerlord for some time now, you will know that we took Captain Mode to gamescom back in 2017 and perhaps saw one of the videos we put out around that time. But for those of you who are unfamiliar with Captain Mode, allow us to give you an overview.

Captain Mode is a multiplayer game mode that pits two teams against each other in a player-vs-player battle, with each player having command of their own detachment of AI troops. With Bannerlord, the game mode has been revamped to provide players with a more structured and enjoyable experience, and on a much larger scale than was possible in our previous games. It shares some of its mechanics with Skirmish, which we talked about a few weeks back, but there are a few distinct differences between the two, other than the bots of course!

Like Skirmish, Captain Mode makes use of our new morale mechanic, which is something that was introduced to encourage players to engage with the enemy throughout the course of a round. The morale system is tied to capture points on the map, which teams can control to diminish the enemy team’s morale. If a team’s morale is completely depleted, then they are considered to have been driven from the field of battle and lose the round. Likewise, if a team is completely wiped out, then they will lose the round. But, this is pretty much where the similarities between the two modes end.

In Captain Mode, both the player and their troops have a single life. However, players have the option of switching to one of their troops upon the death of their character. Allowing players to take control of their bots upon death was something that we felt made a lot of sense. After all, they are playing the game, not watching it, and allowing players to take control in this way means that there is less downtime, and more opportunities to take part in the action! And in this game mode, it is actually rather essential that we allow this as it helps to prevent players from sniping enemy captains with the intention of cutting the head off the snake, so to speak. You see, in Captain Mode, there is actually a lot of cross-over with what you would expect from a single player battle. You have full control over your troops, meaning you can issue commands and change formations at will. And with this being a player-vs-player game mode, we knew that it would be important for players to retain control over their troops, even after death. Our solution was to enable players to do this, but only by exposing themselves to risk by stepping back onto the frontlines alongside their troops!

Balancing Captain Mode has been a little tricky because there are simply so many factors at play, and admittedly, we still have some work to do on this front. Mainly, the balancing issues arise from the AI detachments that players can lead into battle. Bannerlord’s multiplayer features six unique factions, and no two troops are the same: each has their own loadout and stats, which are tailored to their role on the battlefield. We found that the best way to balance the factions and troop types across the board was to configure the number of troops that each detachment can hold based on their troop type. So, for example, if a detachment of light infantry can field 30 men, then a detachment of heavy cavalry in the same match would only have 12.

With that being said, in Captain Mode, and well, with Mount & Blade games in general, individual player skill counts for a lot! However, Captain Mode aims to strike a balance between the individual skill-level of a player and their tactical prowess. This means that players that perhaps aren’t the best with the combat system in the game can still be highly effective in Captain Mode, purely through using superior strategy and tactics, and by effectively communicating with their teammates of course!

Overall, we feel that Captain Mode makes for a fun, fast-paced, team-based game mode that encourages communication and teamwork while allowing players to shine through either their individual combat skill or tactical prowess.

blog_post_91_taleworldswebsite_02.jpg

In next week’s blog, we will talk with the lead programmer of the campaign team, Ömer Sarı. If you have any questions you would like to ask him, please leave a reply in the comments and we will pick one out for him to answer!

Twitter

7d86544d1d1183a6e1c78349fa4f32066108aab0.png
Website[www.taleworlds.com]
Twitter
83ac6a99aff3ebf165f8114bb37539aa69b1ccc9.png
YouTube
2beabe9d7f074a47f64397f8b073bafbfcc955ac.png
Twitch[www.twitch.tv]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom