Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
7aEeHR.jpg

You have no honour, like a woman.

HansDampf

Arcane
1qUDhNI.png

0JOjbdt.png

Bk2IhDs.png

Nar Shaddaa skyline.

T0ZV4ol.png

MB4a6Vz.png

Jabba's ship is the dumbest level in the game. First you have to punch these lizards, while every misstep costs 20 HP. And the remainder of the level is layered with traps. Open a door, mines. Walk around a corner, mines. Collect shield, mines. Fuck you!

HG0tBWz.png

The next few levels make up for it.
:yeah:

hIXeGtC.png

rating_racist.png

H8u7p0v.png

FevzKLU.png

JHzmQLH.png

Op8iyYk.png

:rpgcodex:

vfNrySx.png

On my last life... Very easy boss, though, after that marathon of a level.

jA6yFCT.png

:M

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jabba's ship is the dumbest level in the game. First you have to punch these lizards, while every misstep costs 20 HP. And the remainder of the level is layered with traps. Open a door, mines. Walk around a corner, mines. Collect shield, mines. Fuck you!

No kidding, the mines are easily the worst part, worse even than face-punching the dragons. Especially that one corridor with three consecutive mined doors. Still, Dark Forces loves setting mines in bullshit places all throughout the game - ESPECIALLY hiding them among bundles of shield rechargers.

On my last life... Very easy boss, though, after that marathon of a level.

It was exactly the same for me :lol:

yellowcake

Arcane
SHOT0000.png

spooky

SHOT0001.png

excuse me but dark side cloning my very own respectable self is banned all around the galaxy

SHOT0002.png

you are inferior

SHOT0003.png

aw hell fucking no :negative:

the final levels of mysteries of the sith are so insanely frustrating - the game takes away all your guns, leaves you only with the stupid, shitty lightsaber, and then throws tons of rampaging critters at you that can kill you in 1-2 hits

AND I HAVEN'T EVEN YET COME ACROSS THE TURBO-TIGERS THAT COME LATER IN THE SITH TEMPLE ITSELF

SHOT0005.png

7aEeHR.jpg

Do you have force heal? I decided I can manage without it on my playthrough. Let's just say it is doable. :negative:

BTW force users have their ways of dealing with turbo tigers.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
SHOT0006.png

Come on, shake your body, baby, do the conga

SHOT0008.png

suddenly dark jedi vampires who shoop lightning bolts

SHOT0009.png

:shredder:

SHOT0012.png

Getting Thief vibes.

One thing I like a lot about the final levels in MotS and JK is the environmental storytelling through the leftover backpacks in secret places. In JK, it was smuggler's backpacks behind cracked walls (with mines planted on the other side) in the Valley of the Jedi, in MotS it's explorer's backpacks in the sith temple, typically next to chewed up bones. It's a small and simple thing, but it's great at conveying that there's a yuge galaxy out there, with all kinds of people that could have made it to these "lost and unknown" worlds and even used them to store their warez.

SHOT0013.png

This place was p. big all things considered.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I feel like I read very mixed opinions about Neverwinter Nights. What do you guys think? The Enhanced edition and some DLC are 80% off at the minute on Steam, so I'm thinking of getting it

Worst RPG ever made.

I’m always loath to use superlatives and this is another case where my instinct feel right. NWN (OC) isn’t a good game to be sure, but I wouldn’t qualify it as the worst. I’d make a case for mediocre: it isn’t good, as I’ve written, but it isn’t bad either since nothing in it is blatantly broken or badly designed. NWN’s cardinal sin, though, is that it is dull: most characters are underdeveloped (a shame since some had potential), quests are unimaginative, and the writing pedestrian.

I’d argue that Oblivion is a far worse game, especially because the level scaling removes pretty much all challenge and makes the game effortless to the point it feels poorly designed, and the writing is insulting. Looks pretty, though. At least NWN has a definite feel of progression and a serviceable story, and some parts are memorable—the forest and lost castle were rather eerie, although the scores of trash encounters did ruin the mood.

Expansions and (some) unofficial modules redeem it though, as many have already mentioned.

That said, I’ve promised myself never to play the NWN OC again, so you might be onto something. If I do end up playing it again, I might actually join your side. :D

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I feel like I read very mixed opinions about Neverwinter Nights. What do you guys think? The Enhanced edition and some DLC are 80% off at the minute on Steam, so I'm thinking of getting it

Worst RPG ever made.

I’m always loath to use superlatives and this is another case where my instinct feel right. NWN (OC) isn’t a good game to be sure, but I wouldn’t qualify it as the worst. I’d make a case for mediocre: it isn’t good, as I’ve written, but it isn’t bad either since nothing in it is blatantly broken or badly designed. NWN’s cardinal sin, though, is that it is dull: most characters are underdeveloped (a shame since some had potential), quests are unimaginative, and the writing pedestrian.

I’d argue that Oblivion is a far worse game, especially because the level scaling removes pretty much all challenge and makes the game effortless to the point it feels poorly designed, and the writing is insulting. Looks pretty, though. At least NWN has a definite feel of progression and a serviceable story, and some parts are memorable—the forest and lost castle were rather eerie, although the scores of trash encounters did ruin the mood.

Expansions and (some) unofficial modules redeem it though, as many have already mentioned.

That said, I’ve promised myself never to play the NWN OC again, so you might be onto something. If I do end up playing it again, I might actually join your side. :D

Some of the user-made modules are great, yes, I particularly enjoyed A Dance With Rogues and Swordflight. But the game is still terribly designed in its fundamentals and the basic gameplay of it drags down the modules. Some NWN modules would be all-time classics everyone must play if only NWN's engine were better and playing in it were actually fun.

Sadly, everything in NWN is designed to waste the player's time.

It's got some of the slowest RTWP combat I've ever experienced. A single "tick" takes extremely long, so you spend a lot of time just sitting and watching as characters stand in front of each other and swing their weapons once every three seconds. Yawn.
Thief skills are even worse. Rather than unlocking or giving you the message that your attempt failed instantly, you have to wait for a 10 second progress bar to count down before the game tells you whether you succeeded or failed. Dealing with traps and locks is extremey tedious thanks to that. Resting is the same: in every other game, like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Arcanum, resting either goes by at an instant, or you see the actual time of day advancing. But in NWN, you just watch a progress bar tick down slowly, without actually advancing time of day. It's just slow and wasting your time.

And then there's the issue of no party control, making most combat focused modules pretty shit. D&D 3E isn't really made for soloing, unless you design the module specifically around one character class. Playing a fighter is just about having a decent build, then watching your dude exchange blows with enemies in excruciatingly slow RTWP combat. The only tactical element there is when to gulp down a potion. It's about as engaging as Diablo's combat in terms of complexity, except it's much worse because of how slow everything is. Playing a wizard makes you so squishy at early levels, you better avoid combat altogether until you're level 3 or so. And henchmen are frustrating as fuck because they're AI controlled and get themselves killed all the time by being retarded.

The basic systems of NWN are just pure shit. It could be a good game with only a handful of improvements, but the way it is now it's not good at all. And the "Enhanced Edition" has done nothing to fix these issues AFAIK.

Oblivion with mods is actually more fun than NWN, because mods can fix the level scaling, or cool total conversions like Nehrim. The basic gameplay is more engaging and more suited to single-character play than NWN is, which should have full party controls but doesn't, so it essentially plays like slooooooooow Diablo.

I've played Russian shovelware RPGs that felt less tedious than NWN. There's no other RPG out there that revels as much in wasting the player's time as NWN does.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
[…] A Dance With Rogues […]

Well, that escalated quickly.

Oblivion with mods is actually more fun than NWN, […]

That’s the thing: if we go with mods then things aren’t equal anymore. Both games have serious flaws and both have been improved by their respective communities—even though they are both fundamentally flawed. I was evaluating both games on their own merits (the few there were, anyway).

You do make many good points, but I still wouldn’t call it the worst RPG ever. It is flawed but being based on D&D 3rd Edition eventually yielded some good things, and the tools seemed to have helped with that. After all, wouldn’t you agree that you derived some enjoyment out of it, even if it was from user-created content? I should say that “worst ever” would preclude that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom