Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
WoW to this day have that "magic" and vast lore plus milions of players and constant Dev support . It is a game that never dies and you can play it many, many ways from hardcore rpg , there are people talking on chat in elven language , to hack n slash exprience , or just adventure , pvp , etc. Compared to this ESO is just flat table without bigger scope on gameplay .
There are so many fantastic people in the community to play with, especially roleplay that you can forget about real world pretty easily. Just visit Argent Dawn Eu server and have fun.
Not to mention fantastic and legendary status of Warcraft history with it's first titles still playable thanks to GOG.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Problem with so called "mature" is that they lack self-distance and forget how to enjoy games becouse they ended as working slaves in majority.
And mostly they are quite unhappy in their lives , tough seeking to cure their frustration on codex and other places that gather unhappy people.
Just look at rpg codex comments, 99/100 is just yellin of agony of people who were fine gamers once, and now they are too '"elite" to enjoy simple gaming.

Im in the category mature too, with house, family and work, but when it comes to the games im still excited like teen and have hell lot of fun for almost 90% titles i play :)
It's just sad to see adult people seeking not a gaming in games but a way to realize their real life in the games, that is not working this way.

Games are just games and they will be always kind of childish experience, even "most" "serious" titles are just piece of code for entertain , so take a break :)

And in mmorpg category World of Warcraft is and always be a King, at least for milions of people who loves lore, and remeber first steps of Blizzard in the business with releasing of their legendary titles.
Anyone who spend time with first Diablo, first Warcrafts, and later their Starcraft , will always have special place in heart for their products. And why WoW is so good, despite all its flaws and faults.

I think Diablo 4 and new WoW expansions will bring some fresh air into many Blizzard mistakes done by last years [D3 included ] .
Just smile and enjoy gaming, it never was such vast and great like today. We have so many titles from great indiesto AAA titles, that only problem is time to play them all.

Games never were deep intelectual toys, there are books and other hobbies for that . Gaming should remain gaming nothing more , more or less serious but still a fun experience. Seeking something deeper in games always ends with frustration and non-ending lust for better and better titles or downloading dozen of mods.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Elsweyr is gorgeous and the verticality of the zone makes it my favorite zone in an MMO since some of the Heart of Thorns areas in GW2.
1lN0EOH.jpg

Beastro

Arcane
Well they got me all hyped by announcing necromancer class.

And now I found out that necromancer class can summon a grand total of...

wait for it...

TWO MINIONS

for like 10 seconds each.

Ok fuck this game

Sounds consistant with TES summoning.

You're mistake was assuming it would be any better~

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
morrowing had unlimited summons (they just had to be summoned by different spells) and you could glitch them into becoming permanent, so you could build entire armies then use them to attack a city and have your head caved in by redoran guards because skeletons aren't that strong and your atronach artillery killed them all with their splash damage.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
World of warcraft is shit tho.

Principally refused to play it, we had a guy at my highschool who was 1st on his server to get Thunderfury and all he talked about all day everyday was WoW

Then one time we were standing in our group of lads and talking, then this dude talks about orcs and someone interrupts him and say's he's an orc. Because he was a bit fat, hairy and pale like you'd expect from a hardcore WoW player, it was a fitting jab and everyone laughed at this guy's expense, then he never talked about WoW again.

Then an expansion came out and his in-game famous status, all that hard work getting the best weapon in the game etc was all for naught as level cap was increased and his stuff lost 99.9% of it's value.

ADL

Prophet
The second half of your post is exactly why ESO and Guild Wars 2 are so great. People who hit Veteran Rank 16 five years ago come back to the game and they're just as viable at the end-game except in ESO there's a hundred new gear sets that add effects and change the way your character plays.

Isiloon

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, who would have thought that diminishing people's invested effort into the game by increasing the level cap would turn people off the game right - totally unexpected.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They 100% hit the wall where you understand that level scaling everything in MMO is the stupidest thing devs could have done. Not getting gear progress for 100 hours and repeating same quest formula for every zone can become veeeeeery boring very fast.

Zeriel

Arcane
"""Classic""" is a joke. It's built on the modern WoW engine and even if you set that aside its missing a ton of core features that defined actual vanilla WoW, like non-instanced servers with no cross-server interaction, same-server-only-PVP-queues, and then minor, but still incredibly dumb shit like removing skeletons on death because "it's hateful".

Any modern Blizzard game is going to be pozzed out the ass. Virtually the entire playerbase from 2006 WoW would be instantly banned if they behaved like they did back then, which tells you all you need to know.

I can only assume the target audience for Classic is those who weren't actually there for vanilla and want to experience it for themselves, without knowing what they are experiencing isn't vanilla at all. But as the saying goes: "You can never go back."

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's comical to watch a few minutes of some streamer and his following going full retard about leveling to 60 in a game that thousands of people's characters leveled to 60 in 2006...Hell, I leveled like a whole guild to 60, then 70, then 80, 85, and on and on. I think Blizzard business planners sat around a table and realized that keeping the game evolving as a add new content + level cap business model was heading towards inevitable demise..I mean what level does the cap end at? 200, 1000, infinity?
So the planners had a bright idea and re-released vanilla for Millennials. Now these sheeple will level all new toons from 1-60 and then try current flavor of WOW thereby perpetuating an endless supply of Warcraft Fodder. PLUS old school wow players will fire up a few vanilla toons for old times sake. Genius really. Hook, Line, and Sinker.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's comical to watch a few minutes of some streamer and his following going full retard about leveling to 60 in a game that thousands of people's characters leveled to 60 in 2006...Hell, I leveled like a whole guild to 60, then 70, then 80, 85, and on and on. I think Blizzard business planners sat around a table and realized that keeping the game evolving as a add new content + level cap business model was heading towards inevitable demise..I mean what level does the cap end at? 200, 1000, infinity?
So the planners had a bright idea and re-released vanilla for Millennials. Now these sheeple will level all new toons from 1-60 and then try current flavor of WOW thereby perpetuating an endless supply of Warcraft Fodder. PLUS old school wow players will fire up a few vanilla toons for old times sake. Genius really. Hook, Line, and Sinker.

I think it's a bit early to call it genius, wait until it actually revives the game, as is its practically dead by the old standards of the genre, FF14 arguably has more subscribers than modern WoW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom