Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Serves you right for taking a caravan contract.
Caravan contracts are a good source of uniques.
they're also a good source of game ending fights

Yeah the fact you can control terrain, time of day and enemy composition can really fuck you in the ass. Especially since I started running more archers night time fights are lethal as f

Payd Shell

Arcane
Yeah, playing Lone Wolf without any helpers feels like 50/50 you die in any random fight vs 6-7 thugs. In some terrain you can camp in a choke point and kill 2-3 at a time but in plains you're screwed after 1 unlucky round. One stun, puncture or missed aoe attack and you're done because you get surrounded and get too much fatigue from enemy attacks to do anything. I wouldn't hire cripples because their hp and resolve sucks and they will just give you morale checks when they die, but after a few fights you can get some melee backgrounds like militia, bastards or retired soldiers and the advantage you get just from having that random guy or two with 80 armor, shortsword and a round shield is insane. They level up super fast too.
Yeah, but I feel like I'm missing a lot while thugs with 20-50% hit all the time. It's rare that a fucking thug misses two attacks in a row. Getting murdered with butter knives and wooden sticks is insane considering you should have an advantage with all the levels, stats and gear you get. I sometimes get to the lone wolf perk but one of the very next fights is usually where I get killed. I could just be salty, of course and I had a lot more success when I hired people, but I want that sweet solo xp. Then again you're getting battered so hard anyway that you're spending the next 3 days repairing your armor, hiring 2 somewhat decent bros gets you much further progression wise. I had a pretty good company going after 20 days when I did that, but the chosen that hid amongst a thrall only camp put a swift end in a 1v1 duel.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I rage at the RNG just as the next guy, but I understand that it's not biased in any sense or form. We usually don't notice the RNG that favors us if it's not extremely lucky. You know that time you hit a guy three times in a row with a mediocre chance? The time your spearwall hit 6-7 times in a row? Well, I'd rage like a madman if the AI did that to me.

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
everytime my asshole guys run out of stamina during the big fights, I always tell myself "ok im definitely gonna pick up fatigue recovery talent as soon as possible" then I level up and think "oh I better take this other talent first." then he'll die on the next fight because he ran out of stamina
hqdefault.jpg

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
A reddit user (u/thethief1992) in the Battle Brother's subreddit posted a neat guide to a Cultist plathrough, which includes conversion and sacrifice event tips. The thread is found: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrot...ist_guide_includes_spoilers_from_codereading/

I copied the text here below.
I'm putting together a guide to Cultist events and play-style, will update this if I read the code wrongly.

So why would you want to play as the Cultists?

Pros:

+Cultist gets awesome buff as below

+Cultist are dirt cheap in wages and Converted Cultists gets a paycut

+Cultist don't give a shit about death of brothers so morale is kept higher on average. Which is great because their sacrifice mechanic encourages a very meat shield playstyle

+You get a ton of them randomly joining and easily fulfill the Davkul event requirements

Cons:

-Roughly every 20 days, an unavoidable sacrifice event could happen and piss off any non-cultists. Deserting brothers can take their equipment with them if you can't drop over to a tavern to make them drunk or provide them with Happy powder (Vampires Ashes + Alp Skin)!

-Since you have mostly cultists, you missed out on many backgrounds that can give good benefits from random events.

Cultist Conversion Event:

This events fires roughly every 13 days and converts any lowborns without bright or any non-nobles with dumb traits. Taking this into account, the backgrounds that can be converted are (Bold indicators good backgrounds to hire from experience and datamined stats;

Lowborns:

Poacher, Deserter, Shepherd, Brawler, Thief, Houndmaster, Lumberjack, Farmhand, Graverobber, Fisherman, Ratcatcher, Militia, Miller, Miner, Gravedigger, Vagabond, Daytaler, Refugee, Peddler, Tailor, Beggar, Butcher

Dumb-dumbs (Tryout those with titles such as "The Odd, Dumb, Slow etc" or everyone when you are rich:

Hunter, Sellsword, Squire, Raider, Retired Soldier, Killer on the Run, Caravan Hand, Servant, Eunuch

Cultist Sacrifice Event:

The code choose 2 brothers from roughly the bottom 4 brothers with the least EXP to be sacrificed. So always carry 4 meatbags and try to keep them out of combat as much as possible.

After the sacrifice. for every cultist, there's a 50% chance to upgrade the Davkul trait to the next level. All cultist has an invisible level 0 trait at the start except for the starting 4. All cultist gets a huge mood boost after a sacrifice.

The levels provide the following benefit (thanks u/JerekKruger !):

1. Fanatic: +5 Resolve, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying

2. Zealot: +10 Resolve, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying or losing HPs

3. Acolyte: +10 Resolve, +2 Fatigue Recovery, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying or losing HPs

4. Disciple: +10 Resolve, +2 Fatigue Recovery, +20 HP, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying, losing HPs or Fresh Injuries. Note: This effectively makes them immune to non-supernatural morale damage, making Resolve a dumpstat if you slap on an undead trophy or not bringing them into those battles at all!

5. Chosen: +10 Resolve, +2 Fatigue Recovery, +20 HP, +5 Melee and Ranged Defence, and doesn't take morale checks from allies dying, losing HPs or Fresh Injuries.

6. Prophet: Same as chosen, but with a new ability to restore fatigue to all cultists at the cost of their own 25 fatigue. Can only be gained by one, not sure how this is chosen yet.

General Tips:

Knowing, this, the optimal strategy is to maintain at least 4 meat bags as cheap as possible, around 20% as convertible backgrounds and the rest as Cultists.

Hire every cultists but don't be afraid of dismissing them if their stats are bad. You'll get a ton of them so some of them will roll good.

For convertibles, try to keep them happy as much as possible to reduce the chance of deserting you.

If you intend to keep non-convertibles & premium backgrounds, the only way to reliably keep them is to keep a permanent source stash of Happy Powder in reserve.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lone Wolf is the easiest start by far. Just training hall, kill thugs, until your dude is 11. Don't hire anyone until then.

I think you're all having trouble because you don't go for some resolve early on. You need that resolve perk so that the inevitable penalty from being surrounded isn't so bad and so that you can become confident easily. Kill guys that can stun first, dagger dudes second.

Difficulty comes later. Need to be very picky because of the limit.

Edit: this applies on Expert. If you play easier I don't know.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=365360
Update 1.3.0.18
Battle Brothers - rapsdjff
Changelog for 1.3.0.18
  • Changed Swordmaster champions to perform better against heavily armored characters, as to make them a threat more equal to other kinds of human champions.
  • Fixed duel twist of 'Drive off barbarians' contract not working properly if the opponent happens to be a champion.
  • Fixed some legendary locations not being placable on some rare map seeds.
  • Fixed reminder event after satisfying prerequisites for entering the Goblin City potentially firing after the city has already been destroyed.
  • Fixed potential issue with crossbowman with the 'Hex' effect killing both himself and a Hexe that is to act next.
  • Fixed potentially wrong daily wage cost displayed in tooltip when starting a new campaign until equipment was changed once or you entered your first battle.
  • Fixed various minor things.

Parabalus

Arcane
Killed my first kraken, no losses :dance:.

Not sure about the optimal strategy, I turtled killing tentacles until they reduce to 5, then went for the head.
It seemed to take very little damage from killing tentacles after that point, but can you kill it with only tentacle damage?

like new stuff or whatever? are you still playing ROBINHOOD? Did you find Black Monolith, Goblin City, or the new legendary locations on the map?

Last edited:

Payd Shell

Arcane
Lone Wolf is the easiest start by far. Just training hall, kill thugs, until your dude is 11. Don't hire anyone until then.

I think you're all having trouble because you don't go for some resolve early on. You need that resolve perk so that the inevitable penalty from being surrounded isn't so bad and so that you can become confident easily. Kill guys that can stun first, dagger dudes second.

It's difficult if you're retarded (like me). I always took on contracts early where you need to catch the thieving thugs. Problem is, you have no control over where they will spawn and getting surrounded in your first few fights is a death sentence. It's much easier to camp next to an enemy location and wait for patrols that you can lure into a forest. Or just generally lure enemies into a forest where you can do very naughty things to them and nobody will hear them scream for help. Forests are your friends.

Yeah, in the beginning unless you pick the wrong sort of enemies you are a caterpillar compared to lvl 1 meat shields. But the real challenge with a Lone Wolf run lies its end game limitation of twelve men and no reserves.
I'm not running into a wall yet, but I feel it will be an issue soon with some late game multiple fights.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, Lone Wolf where you hire people as you like is very easy, LW where you really try to stick to one dude requires you to be very particular about the conditions where you fight.

Late game limitations would dictate that you hire super background people only, but fuck me, that one apprentice who I picked up on Day 1 and then got to level 5 in like three days spearwalling everything, I can't fire him now.

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm liking the peasant militia start so far. What I dislike is the lack of any specific events or flavor... I hope I eventually get something but so far nothing.

Not really feeling much of a difference from the regular start, being that the game seems to scale to the 16 men. I was also used to using mostly cheapo backgrounds before. I really miss some of them though. No idea why I can't hire killers or jugglers for instance. Or even monks. They are lowborn after all.

Characters recruited via events end up being your best, at least in my case. A retired soldier I rescued from a spider den is my sergeant, for instance.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm liking the peasant militia start so far. What I dislike is the lack of any specific events or flavor... I hope I eventually get something but so far nothing.

Not really feeling much of a difference from the regular start, being that the game seems to scale to the 16 men. I was also used to using mostly cheapo backgrounds before. I really miss some of them though. No idea why I can't hire killers or jugglers for instance. Or even monks. They are lowborn after all.

Characters recruited via events end up being your best, at least in my case. A retired soldier I rescued from a spider den is my sergeant, for instance.
I think the 'Militia' is only hiring 'upright' civilians. Jugglers are dodgy travellers, killers are - well criminals, monks (and Hunters, I guess) seem to be of higher status. I don't mind that.

But I'm 300 days in my Militia run and I can't find great recruits anywhere. The 'Militia appropriate Backgrounds' I hired in my previous runs all seem so much better in comparison... .

Murk

Arcane
I'm almost 80 days in on Barbarians and still haven't gotten a single event to recruit another barbarian.

Interesting, three times now as normal merc group I've raided a barbarian settlement with a survivor joining me due to (the other) honor.

Also once by randomly wandering in the north I ran into a barbarian who was exiled who joined, along with his dog.

Barbarian

Arcane
I wish every origin had a player character, btw. I will never understand why they took so long to implement it.

Any solid info about content/events related to other origins? I know cultist origin has quite a few of them and lone wolf has at least a couple.

I think the 'Militia' is only hiring 'upright' civilians. Jugglers are dodgy travellers, killers are - well criminals, monks (and Hunters, I guess) seem to be of higher status. I don't mind that.

But I'm 300 days in my Militia run and I can't find great recruits anywhere. The 'Militia appropriate Backgrounds' I hired in my previous runs all seem so much better in comparison... .

But we can hire thieves, vagabonds, peddlers, minstrels and beggars. Are they upright?

Did you get any origin based event or anything of the sort? I'm on day 76 and haven't seem anything exclusive to the militia origin.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Fair point about thieves and vagabonds etc. .

No, the only event I got where you possibly could get a Bro was the 'Wildman in a Cage' one.
I sent one of my Bros in to get another corpse out of the wildmans cage - wich he did. Got +1 Resolve and +2 Initiative for it, but I didn't get the choice to hire the Wildman.
No special 'Militia Origin' content after the start that I remember either.

Barbarian

Arcane
Fair point about thieves and vagabonds etc. .

No, the only event I got where you possibly could get a Bro was the 'Wildman in a Cage' one.
I sent one of my Bros in to get another corpse out of the wildmans cage - wich he did. Got +1 Resolve and +2 Initiative for it, but I didn't get the choice to hire the Wildman.
No special 'Militia Origin' content after the start that I remember either.

You need a monk in order to recruit him

ITT, the reason I miss having a monk is mostly due to events.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ah yes - or
another Wildman, IIRC.

I agree that a 'PlayerBro' would fit the Militia Origin too. A former Militia Captain, putting together a new company to fight the increasing dangers his village has to face, or something.

You get a good - very good Bro in exchange for the risk of losing the campaign if he dies - that could be an option for several other origins too.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Ok. Guys I hear you.
I will make all starts a Lone Guy(or with company) player avatar starts.
Give me ideas.
I will release mod on Sunday or earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom